Linux Mint OS-Tan?

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jdan-S

Linux Mint OS-Tan?

Post by Jdan-S »

Windows 7, 8 and 10 all have official "OS-tans": personified versions of the OS drawn in anime/manga style. So I wondered what if Linux Mint had one as well?

Cinnamon (full image: http://jdan-s.deviantart.com/art/Linux- ... -556513346)

KDE (full image: http://jdan-s.deviantart.com/art/Linux- ... -562750605)

I came up with a different design for each of the four main desktop environments while keeping the theme "elegance" in mind, per the distro's slogan. Cinnamon's design is sleek and modern, while KDE was somewhat steampunk-inspired based on the high level of customization options offered plus the gear in the logo.

The designs for the other two desktop environments are still in the works. I'm aiming for a "traditional" design for Mate, while XFCE should be "light". The initial sketches can be viewed below:

http://jdan-s.deviantart.com/art/Linux- ... -556513370

Just wanted to share. Drawing this character and possibly having her highlight the features and advantages of Linux Mint is my way to help spread the word about the distro.

(Wasn't sure whether this belongs under Artwork, Promotion or general Linux Mint discussion. Mods, feel free to move the topic if necessary!)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sphyrth

Re: Linux Mint OS-Tan?

Post by sphyrth »

Had to look up "OS-Tan" to see how late I am in this thing. :lol:

If she is a fairy (or servant) who grants your wishes, then I kind of get the point. Then again, I'm unfamiliar to the culture of what she's supposed to be.
SOCRATE_MMXII

Post by SOCRATE_MMXII »

Japanese people have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Please don't take this personally, but I really don't need to see another OS personified as a subservient female character. The whole concept doesn't do anything for me. At least not anything positive!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Jdan-S

Post by Jdan-S »

sphyrth wrote:Had to look up "OS-Tan" to see how late I am in this thing. :lol:

If she is a fairy (or servant) who grants your wishes, then I kind of get the point. Then again, I'm unfamiliar to the culture of what she's supposed to be.
As I understood it, OS-Tans take the qualities of an OS and apply them to a personified character. Kind of like the Vocaloid characters in a sense.

She's someone who helps others. Like the OS she's based on, she can get you the right tools for the job (documents, media, network etc). She can simplify complicated tasks, but she also expects that those who want to work with her know how to do things by themselves. She is based on a Linux distro after all!
Jdan-S

Post by Jdan-S »

M0em wrote:Please don't take this personally, but I really don't need to see another OS personified as a subservient female character. The whole concept doesn't do anything for me. At least not anything positive!
I understand, that's one way others might look at it. Though "subservient" really wasn't the image I was going for, especially not since she's based on a Linux distro (open source/libre philosophy) and was designed with Mint's slogan in mind: "From Freedom Came Elegance".

I think of her as someone who's skilled at accomplishing a wide range of tasks and will gladly offer to help anyone by giving them the tools they need to get things done. Of course, she also expects that the ones she offers to help are capable of getting things done on their own once they've been given the means to do so (my experience with the distro so far).

Return to “Your Artwork”