[solved] Attachment file size.

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cassioraposa

[solved] Attachment file size.

Post by cassioraposa »

Hi guys. I'm new here.

First of all, I AM really sorry if this has been asked before, I searched the forum and found no answer (however I am NOT good searching forums) so here it is:

How come that we have such a small attachment file size limit in a place where people post wallpapers? I mean, we are in 2016 an I wasn't able to post a 150kb jpg. Sorry but I don't like the idea of compressing a jpeg until it becomes as recognizable as and Atari game.
I really want to share a few wallpapers, but don't want to kill the image.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Attachment file size.

Post by phd21 »

Hi "cassioraposa",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Sadly, this is a common issues this year with all users of this forum. Prior to the forum updates this year, anyone could post images up to around 740kb, but since the forum updates, we are all limited to less than 100kb images, which is pathetically small and way under the average screenshot a user creates by default. You can contact the forum administrators to complain, if you so desire.

You can use one of the many free image hosting websites, like postimage.org, imgur, tinypic, etc... to upload your image there, where you will get a web link (url) for sharing your images, copy that weblink url, then post (paste) that back here in the forum, highlight it, and click "rimg", for remote image, in the toolbar during your post and or reply. Then, your images will appear in the forum. I would recommend creating your own free account on these websites, so that your images will be retained, and so that they are identified as your images rather than generic images.

You can also install "converseen" from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), to easily convert one or more images into sizes small enough to upload to this forum. FYI: You are limited to 3 images per post or reply, where as when using an image host you are not limited to the number of image links you can post.

uploading pics and screenshots
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=222688&hilit=converseen

You can also use one the the many image editors (kolourpaint, pinta, gimp, xnviewmp, gwenview, etc....) to reduce (scale) the image size to around 80% of the original, then export as (save as) a jpeg (.jpg) with a quality of 50% or less (equals higher jpeg compression). The images still look pretty darn good.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
cassioraposa

Post by cassioraposa »

Hi, phd21

Thanks for welcoming me. Just for information sake I'm new in the forum, not new to Mint or other Linux distros - using Linux for 15 years now I guess :). I just never communicated that much with the on-line community 'cause my Internet connection relies on a 3G service routed from an old Android mobile inside a tapper-ware tied to the light post and... Well, third world story, not interesting right now anyway, just illustrating that I use a 50kbit connection.

Thing is, where I live we used to have a nice community (mostly academic) supporting and using FOSS. Things changed a lot, unfortunately, and now most people around here want to buy a Mac. Sooooooo, here I am, looking to interact with people overseas.
Back to the original question.........

No need to post details of my setup right now since you solved my question. Since it really is a limitation of the forum I'll follow your advice and post in an image hosting site. I just wanted to know beforehand if this was really the way to go.
I'd like to stress my satisfaction with such a well composed answer and the time you did put on it.

Thanks.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "cassioraposa",

You are welcome.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Your Artwork”