Terminal background picture

Help make Linux Mint look better.
Arikania
Level 1
Level 1

Terminal background picture

Postby Arikania » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:24 pm

I switched from 17.1 (Rebecca) to Sonya (18.2), both Cinnamons.

I use it both for professional purposes and as a comfortable living room machine for myself and for guests.

I really really really miss the ability to set the terminal's background picture :(

I would be very happy if I could get it back somehow.

If anybody knows how I can get that done, by whichever means necessary, I'd be most grateful (reverting to a previous version of the terminal, command line tweaks, copying bash from my 17.1 Live USB, grave it onto the desktop if necessary! :mrgreen: )

Big cheers for the one who helps me out with this!

Love,

dcrowder
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Terminal backgrond picture

Postby dcrowder » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Have you tried a different terminal console program? There are many out there. I personally prefer a solid color, but many people like pictures, transparency, etc. I would think there are other terminals with background pictures.
Acer Aspire R14, Mint 18.2 MATE

Arikania
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Terminal background picture

Postby Arikania » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Thank you for responding :)

I have checked the repository, but the descriptions there do not state whether such effects are possible. I tried XTerm, but that did no good, and I uninstalled it again.

Perhaps someone could tell me which terminal 17.1 used? Or which one I should use now instead?

Could it be that I need supporting programs such as compiz or something to get it done?

Kindly,

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Postby xenopeek » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:22 am

Cinnamon uses Gnome Terminal. On 18.x that doesn't support setting a background image.

A few terminal emulators that support setting a background image and that you can find in the software repositories:
- xfce4-terminal
- terminator

There are also some that are not in the software repositories but you can manually install. For example have a look at Tilix https://gnunn1.github.io/tilix-web/ which will arrive in the software repositories with Linux Mint 19. Worth manually installing now. I'd certainly recommend it strongly over the above two suggestions.

Arikania
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Arikania » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:59 pm

Great!!
thank you for your reply Xeno! You sure made my day!

I'm gonna look into it right away! When I picked one, I'll mark this thread 'solved' after adding which one I picked. The one you suggested is gonna be the first I'll try :)

:D :D :D

Return to “Artwork”