Terminal background picture

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arikania

Terminal background picture

Post by Arikania »

I switched from 17.1 (Rebecca) to Sonya (18.2), both Cinnamons.

I use it both for professional purposes and as a comfortable living room machine for myself and for guests.

I really really really miss the ability to set the terminal's background picture :(

I would be very happy if I could get it back somehow.

If anybody knows how I can get that done, by whichever means necessary, I'd be most grateful (reverting to a previous version of the terminal, command line tweaks, copying bash from my 17.1 Live USB, grave it onto the desktop if necessary! :mrgreen: )

Big cheers for the one who helps me out with this!

Love,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Terminal backgrond picture

Post by dcrowder »

Have you tried a different terminal console program? There are many out there. I personally prefer a solid color, but many people like pictures, transparency, etc. I would think there are other terminals with background pictures.
Mint 21 Vanessa | Cinnamon | x64
Arikania

Re: Terminal background picture

Post by Arikania »

Thank you for responding :)

I have checked the repository, but the descriptions there do not state whether such effects are possible. I tried XTerm, but that did no good, and I uninstalled it again.

Perhaps someone could tell me which terminal 17.1 used? Or which one I should use now instead?

Could it be that I need supporting programs such as compiz or something to get it done?

Kindly,
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Cinnamon uses Gnome Terminal. On 18.x that doesn't support setting a background image.

A few terminal emulators that support setting a background image and that you can find in the software repositories:
- xfce4-terminal
- terminator

There are also some that are not in the software repositories but you can manually install. For example have a look at Tilix https://gnunn1.github.io/tilix-web/ which will arrive in the software repositories with Linux Mint 19. Worth manually installing now. I'd certainly recommend it strongly over the above two suggestions.
Arikania

Post by Arikania »

Great!!
thank you for your reply Xeno! You sure made my day!

I'm gonna look into it right away! When I picked one, I'll mark this thread 'solved' after adding which one I picked. The one you suggested is gonna be the first I'll try :)

:D :D :D
WikiSteve

Post by WikiSteve »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:22 am Cinnamon uses Gnome Terminal. On 18.x that doesn't support setting a background image.

A few terminal emulators that support setting a background image and that you can find in the software repositories:
- xfce4-terminal
- terminator

There are also some that are not in the software repositories but you can manually install. For example have a look at Tilix https://gnunn1.github.io/tilix-web/ which will arrive in the software repositories with Linux Mint 19. Worth manually installing now. I'd certainly recommend it strongly over the above two suggestions.
xfce4-terminal was the closest one to pull off what 17.3 did. Not as nice and elegant and the background doesn't scroll as you hit return but it will do.

To answer the OP question the last gnome terminal to do all the background magic is Mint 17.3 with a gnome terminal version of 3.6.2.

Return to “Your Artwork”