Mint KDE CE KDM and Ksplash screens (v1.0 - 6/5/09)

Help make Linux Mint look better.
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint KDE CE KDM and Ksplash screens (WIP)

Post by richyrich »

Hi WildSioux,
Thanks, the one nice thing that I like about Emerald is that it uses the Appearance & Colours from System Settings.

Screenshot using "Terra" color scheme.

regards, Richard
Attachments
richyrich-emerald2.jpg
richyrich-emerald2.jpg (81.77 KiB) Viewed 2931 times

WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WildSioux »

Does anyone know of a good cursive font that would look nice with this? I am debating on whether to add some kind of text (i.e. LinuxMint...) above the login box.

Any suggestions on whether to add text, what to type (Mint, Elegance, 7...)? Or just leave the text off? I have seen some other KDM screens from other distros with their name on it.

Maybe zwopper can chime in with a nice font to use.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to align 30 icons/layers to fit in 3 exact rows with 10 columns in gimp? I have tried everything I can by using the align tool and align all visible layers but no matter what I do, the Mint animation for the ksplash screen wobbles.

I can send you the file for the animation. This is the last thing (right now without adding anything else) holding me up from posting these.

Thanks.

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

WildSioux wrote:Does anyone know of a good cursive font that would look nice with this? I am debating on whether to add some kind of text (i.e. LinuxMint...) above the login box.

Any suggestions on whether to add text, what to type (Mint, Elegance, 7...)? Or just leave the text off? I have seen some other KDM screens from other distros with their name on it.

Maybe zwopper can chime in with a nice font to use.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to align 30 icons/layers to fit in 3 exact rows with 10 columns in gimp? I have tried everything I can by using the align tool and align all visible layers but no matter what I do, the Mint animation for the ksplash screen wobbles.

I can send you the file for the animation. This is the last thing (right now without adding anything else) holding me up from posting these.

Thanks.
Toss it over and I'll give it a shot!
As for fonts, take a look here...
Unpack to ~/.fonts or /usr/share/fonts - you'll need root privileges for the latter.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WildSioux »

I sent you a pm zwopper for an email.

And that link doesnt have any files?

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

WildSioux wrote:I sent you a pm zwopper for an email.

And that link doesnt have any files?
OK, how about this one!
CREA DIEM!

WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WildSioux »

Hmm...that one gave me an "Invalid file..." error.

Here is what the new KDM looks like. Changes from the original one in first post:
1.) Bigger login window
2.) Removed Mint logo from background and is now integrated within the login window with transparency.
3.) Removed bottom footer...
4.) Session/Menu buttons now under main login window in its own "Air Plasma" theme background. Changed computer to Mint logo for Menu.
5.) Moved date/time to the login window.

Let me know what you think. Do you prefer the bottom footer " light blue" color? If so, I can change it now and leave where it is just below the login window.

As for the ksplash, the only changes I have done is to rework the Mint logo (higher resolution used). I am still waiting on making the ksplash login animation for the Mint logo better...no wobble. But this should give you an idea of the changes I have done.

I have come to the conclusion that my 6 year old P4 is not doing the job for working on large photos. Saving this new screenshot with work done from the original source of the Mint Dew background (tons of layers) took a long time. I am thinking of the new i7 processor with at least 8gb of ram!

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

CREA DIEM!

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The latest version looks well thought out and attractive. Very nice work!

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

My only thoughts on the last one is about the placement of the logo layer wise, maybe it should be lifted up on top of the "plexi"... :?:
CREA DIEM!

WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WildSioux »

Zwopper wrote:My only thoughts on the last one is about the placement of the logo layer wise, maybe it should be lifted up on top of the "plexi"... :?:
Actually, the logo is set to 35% transparency. So although it may appear to be under the top, it is really on top (just how the code in the XML file is setup. I can change it to 100% so it will be "on top."

WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint KDE CE KDM and Ksplash screens (v1.0 - 6/5/09)

Post by WildSioux »

Please see post #2, I have posted a download link in zip form. Please see the note about 1280x1024 resolution. Sorry, just couldn't figure out how to package a deb. The actual making it isn't the problem. It is figuring out what to put in the various files (control, etc... for copying to different folders...).

Let me know what you think, Thanks!

WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WildSioux »

I take it no one has tried this out? It must be bad haha

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

These look cool.
I think the KDM would look best with the first login and second narrow actions menu.

good work.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dlkreations »

I'll definitely try this out. Good job!
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse

Drake2k
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drake2k »

Hey wild... Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this one. I didn't read all the other replies before posting this so If I'm a broken record please forgive me.

As for your question, personally I would go with moving the logo not the log in. It seems (and I could be wrong) that it would be too much trouble to move the logon box around. If I moved the logo I would also do the same for the wallpaper to maintian consistancy and a smother transition like you said.

Another option might be with the desktop maybe not having a logo at all. Then when the transition takes place it might look like the logo just melts into the background. I'm not sure if that would work or not but it's would be interesting to see.

Personally I think you would have a better idea of that then I would since your far more familiar with how it actually works where as I'm just someone who appreciates the great work. :)

Hopefully CE will be released soon and it would be nice to see them choose your work as the official look, or if not at least make it an option that users can select.

Have you ever played with the GRUB logo any? I don't know exactly how the grub thing works but wouldn't it be fantastic if the GRUB selection was on the same background? And even the loading screen for mint itself. *DROOL* The same theme from Grub to load to KDE login to desktop. wow...

I tried to play with the grub logo once to put my own logo in there but I failed miserably. I've seen graphical grub's before but I don't have a clue how it works. I know the loading screen can be changed since I was able to download someone's loading screen of Jessica Alba and it worked fine.

Food for thought anyway.

Return to “Artwork”