Custom login screen

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JohnFrumm

Custom login screen

Post by JohnFrumm »

Does anyone know of a Mint Mate 18.3 login screen that can be customized to display the United States' fourth amendment? Unconstitutional border searches are the norm now, and it takes decades to change such practices. At least let the agents learn they are breaking the law.

fwiw, the US government could tap any citizen's phone without a warrant from about 1928 until about 1967, when it was officially declared unconstitutional.

thanks,
John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ecntzwoq

Re: Custom login screen

Post by ecntzwoq »

...travelers have a right to refuse to unlock, decrypt, or provide passwords to border agents. However, there may be consequences, such as travel delay, device confiscation, or even denial of entry for non-U.S. persons.
I don't know of any such login screen, but thanks for the EFF link--I was unaware of how serious the situation was.
JohnFrumm

Re: Custom login screen

Post by JohnFrumm »

ecntzwoq wrote:
...travelers have a right to refuse to unlock, decrypt, or provide passwords to border agents. However, there may be consequences, such as travel delay, device confiscation, or even denial of entry for non-U.S. persons.
I don't know of any such login screen, but thanks for the EFF link--I was unaware of how serious the situation was.
Yeah, I find it depressing. Our constitution does not really function anymore. It takes decades for such practices to be outlawed - if ever - meanwhile the government keeps expanding its spy capabilities and practices without any limits. The search and confiscation you highlighted is not legal under the 4th and 5th amendments, but they do it. Such practices were supposed to halt after "United States v. Cotterman" in 2013.

4th Amendment: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

5th Amendment: No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Often they just use the "third party doctrine" and the "public movement doctrine" to sidestep these laws when they are not outright ignoring them.

But.... this diatribe does not really belong in a Mint thread, so I will stop here...

Return to “Your Artwork”