Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Help make Linux Mint look better.
User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:18 pm

Some forums offer up Emoticons to help smooth out what is being said.
As we are not speaking "Face to Face", what we say can quite often be taken out of Context.

as an experiment, I am offering up Emoticons that "might be" of benefit here and there.

If they are over done, it gets to be too cheesy, but done appropriately, can be quite useful..


Glad to have you on board and Image



Camera: High, looking at you Image

Laugh: Image

ROFL Image

Red Devil Image

Angel Image

Serious Image

Eek! Surprise Image

Nerd with Big Eyeglasses Image

Smile Image

Big Toothy Grin Image

RazzBerry Image

Shssshh! Image

U need a Hug Image

Confused Image

Snicker Image

Red Devil with Whip Image

Band Image

Jumping for Joy Image

ByeBye Image

Thumbs Down Image

Scratching Head Image

Tongue Image

Axe Man Image

Pop Corn Image

Hard Hat Image

Fishing Image

blowing up Image

Hallo Image

Digging a Hole Image

Walker Image

4th of July flag waver Image

Doh! Image

Read the Manual Image

.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9500
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by catweazel » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:33 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:18 pm
Some forums offer up Emoticons to help smooth out what is being said.
Image
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:37 pm

I need to add that one to my personal portfoilo Image

gm10
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9206
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by gm10 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:01 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:18 pm
Some forums offer up Emoticons to help smooth out what is being said.
Why, there's a few forum-specific ones to the right of the post editor, and then you've got the full Unicode range to play with these days:
🖥️🔥🎆👍👊

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9500
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by catweazel » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:03 pm

gm10 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:01 pm
👍
Yeah, right. Same to you, pal.

That's the problem with emoticons. You don't know who you're going to offend. Giving the thumb to an Australian is likely to end up with you getting a broken nose in return.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

gm10
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9206
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by gm10 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:14 pm

catweazel wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:03 pm
gm10 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:01 pm
👍
Yeah, right. Same to you, pal.

That's the problem with emoticons. You don't know who you're going to offend. Giving the thumb to an Australian is likely to end up with you getting a broken nose in return.
That's just because you guys down under are all upside down (I learned my geography!) so of course you'd misunderstand that one. :lol: :lol:

SCNR, and thx for the reminder. ;)

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 24097
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by xenopeek » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:20 am

With unicode emoji I'm not sure what fonts others need to have on their system to see the same.

Not emoji, but you can put icons in your posts from the fontawesome collection here https://fontawesome.com/v4.7.0/cheatsheet/. Just put the fa-name between [fa]…[/fa] tag. Latest fontawesome version has more emoji's than just the one in this collection, but it's not on phpBB yet.
Image

gm10
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9206
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by gm10 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:22 am

xenopeek wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:20 am
With unicode emoji I'm not sure what fonts others need to have on their system to see the same.

Not emoji, but you can put icons in your posts from the fontawesome collection here https://fontawesome.com/v4.7.0/cheatsheet/. Just put the fa-name between [fa]…[/fa] tag. Latest fontawesome version has more emoji's than just the one in this collection, but it's not on phpBB yet.
But those are boring black & white, aren't they?

As to unicode emojis, the forums automatically reference corresponding .png images instead, so everybody should see the same.
For example, :thumbsup: becomes https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/emojione/assets/3.1/png/64/1f44d.png becomes :thumbsup:

User avatar
Moem
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9350
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by Moem » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:41 am

gm10 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:22 am
those are boring black & white, aren't they?
Black & white, yes... I wouldn't say boring. Some of them are quite fun. Look, here's Linux Mint:
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gm10
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9206
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by gm10 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:57 am

Moem wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:41 am
gm10 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:22 am
those are boring black & white, aren't they?
Black & white, yes... I wouldn't say boring. Some of them are quite fun. Look, here's Linux Mint:
Haha, excellent. :penguin:

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 24097
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by xenopeek » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:37 pm

The emoji cheat sheet can be useful: https://www.webfx.com/tools/emoji-cheat-sheet/. Almost all of those seem to work here.

:shit:
Image

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10932
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by JeremyB » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:40 pm

How to disable them?

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:12 pm

JeremyB wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:40 pm
How to disable them?
in what way Jeremy ?

User avatar
MrEen
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4992
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by MrEen » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Probably so he doesn't have to see this:


Glad to have you one board and Image


Camera: High, looking at you Image

Laugh: Image

ROFL Image

Red Devil Image

Angel Image

Serious Image

Eek! Surprise Image

Nerd with Big Eyeglasses Image

Smile Image

Big Toothy Grin Image

RazzBerry Image

Shssshh! Image

U need a Hug Image

Confused Image

Snicker Image

Red Devil with Whip Image

Band Image

Jumping for Joy Image

ByeBye Image

Thumbs Down Image

Scratching Head Image

Tongue Image

Axe Man Image

Pop Corn Image

Hard Hat Image

Fishing Image

blowing up Image

Hallo Image

Digging a Hole Image

Walker Image

4th of July flag waver Image

Doh! Image

Read the Manual Image

:wink:

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10932
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by JeremyB » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:34 pm

I am not a fan of smilies or emoticons

User avatar
philotux
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 833
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:14 am
Location: Utopia

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by philotux » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:33 pm

MrEen wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:33 pm
Probably so he doesn't have to see this:


Glad to have you one board and Image


Camera: High, looking at you Image

Laugh: Image

ROFL Image

Red Devil Image

Angel Image

Serious Image

Eek! Surprise Image

Nerd with Big Eyeglasses Image

Smile Image

Big Toothy Grin Image

RazzBerry Image

Shssshh! Image

U need a Hug Image

Confused Image

Snicker Image

Red Devil with Whip Image

Band Image

Jumping for Joy Image

ByeBye Image

Thumbs Down Image

Scratching Head Image

Tongue Image

Axe Man Image

Pop Corn Image

Hard Hat Image

Fishing Image

blowing up Image

Hallo Image

Digging a Hole Image

Walker Image

4th of July flag waver Image

Doh! Image

Read the Manual Image

:wink:
Why not? They are kind of fun to see, at least once :wink:
Or at most :?

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Hey,

I only posted them once
I don't think you will find my posts littered with emoticons, except very rarely to make a point.

that list is a text file kept on my desktop, available when the need arises. Image

User avatar
Moem
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9350
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by Moem » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:06 pm

philotux wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:33 pm
They are kind of fun to see, at least once :wink:
Or at most :?
Is that why you posted all of them again?
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
philotux
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 833
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:14 am
Location: Utopia

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by philotux » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:15 pm

I am undecided between at least once or at most Image

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Emoticons sometimes help to make a point

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Moem wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:06 pm
philotux wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:33 pm
They are kind of fun to see, at least once :wink:
Or at most :?
Is that why you posted all of them again?
I don't know why the post went up twice, I only did it once.

go back and delete the post that says 'null'

Post Reply

Return to “Artwork”