Linux Mint logo suggestion

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Linux Mint logo suggestion

Post by lsemmens »

harfad wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:36 am
lsemmens wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:51 am If it ain't broke............
Good thing everybody doesn't think like that, or we would still be driving cars that look like these:

https://e14ac3ae4ec062172607-c9fe783c22 ... 7e0a64.jpg
https://hips.hearstapps.com/pop.h-cdn.c ... 485934.jpg
https://cdn-w.v12soft.com/photos/IGuDQp ... 800600.jpg

LOL! :lol:
Who said I don't????? Truth be known, I love any one of those, but I am stuck in this century. [I do own a old (1994) 4WD, though.] :D

Seriously, though, If we were all happy with the way things were, nothing would ever change. It's always healthy to look at anything critically, and ask, "Can we do better?".
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
gm10

Post by gm10 »

MrEen wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:55 pm If you don't want them, I'll take them all off your hands!!
Put me on the list. So much better than todays boring (but cheaper to produce) designs.
harfad

Post by harfad »

I just installed the latest Mint 19.2 Cinnamon on a PC, and replaced the current logo with my own creation. See screenshot. I converted the logo into a scalable SVG with Inkscape, gave it a transparent background, also gave it more padding on the left and right so the icons look more evenly spaced, placed it in: usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps folder, and loaded it up from there. I am sure it can still be improved; but I think it already looks much better than the current "LM" logo. If you don't like it right away, it is because you are too used to the old one. Try it out a couple of days, and you will love it! The only thing that still looks ugly on the task bar is the terminal icon, which looks like a black hole!
Last edited by harfad on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

See, that's the spirit. Personally I've been using this one for the better part of the year, grown accustomed to it:

It came about as a test during the early internal website/logo redesign discussions. I wonder if that's still happening btw, the community site got redesigned and received a variant of that logo which I'm not a fan of - Image - but otherwise everything else still uses the old one, including LM 19.2.
Last edited by Moem on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made your image https so the forum will show it.
bulevardi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bulevardi »

I personally never liked the Mint logo... to be honest (now don't feel personally attacked :p ) :(
Although I like using the OS very very much !!

From all linux distros, my favourite logo is the one of openSUSE.
Maybe I should just install openSUSE as a dual boot on my machine, for the love of that logo....
I already know this logo from when I was young, an era when not so much linux distros where available, and each time someone talked about Linux before, the logo popped up in my mind. It also stayed the same logo from then until now.

So a dual boot... but I still doubt about sharing one same /home folder (which is on a separate HD) that could maybe cause problems with preferences and such installed in the /home folder? Or wouldn't this be a possible problem to prevent?

If a known logo will change every now and then, users may lose their connection with it... Think about ... if Nike or Coca Cola would change their logos.
Think about if there were Mint fans who maybe used the Mint logo in a tattoo somewhere on their body and Mint suddenly changes it's logo. It would be awkward, no?
Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

bulevardi wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:37 pmIt also stayed the same logo from then until now.
So you're saying it's old. Surely it must be terribly ugly and need updating then!! :wink:
bulevardi wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:37 pm Think about if there were Mint fans who maybe used the Mint logo in a tattoo somewhere on their body and Mint suddenly changes it's logo. It would be awkward, no?
Yes it would be awkward. And I really wish you hadn't put that image in my mind!!! :evil:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

bulevardi wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:37 pm From all linux distros, my favourite logo is the one of openSUSE.
Not a fan, although at least they stayed true to it throughout all the years (with minimal changes).
bulevardi wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:37 pm If a known logo will change every now and then, users may lose their connection with it...
Very true. However, if you go with Google, we've got no recognizable logo, anyway (I don't think the one they got was ever official, was it?):

My fav distro logo is certainly FreeBSD's devil.
Last edited by gm10 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
bulevardi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bulevardi »

Get In Touch^^
bulevardi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bulevardi »

MrEen wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:46 pm Yes it would be awkward. And I really wish you hadn't put that image in my mind!!! :evil:
Show me your mint tattoo ! :o :D :shock:
Get In Touch^^
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Best nerd tattoos are fork bomb tattoos. That Bill Gates one though...
harfad

Post by harfad »

harfad wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:44 am I just installed the latest Mint 19.2 Cinnamon on a PC, and replaced the current logo with my own creation. See screenshot. I converted the logo into a scalable SVG with Inkscape, gave it a transparent background, also gave it more padding on the left and right so the icons look more evenly spaced, placed it in: usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps folder, and loaded it up from there. I am sure it can still be improved; but I think it already looks much better than the current "LM" logo. If you don't like it right away, it is because you are too used to the old one. Try it out a couple of days, and you will love it! The only thing that still looks ugly on the task bar is the terminal icon, which looks like a black hole!
There is something else I have noticed about the Start Menu logo. I tried to expand it to make it a little bit wider, and also to give it more padding on the left so everything looks evenly spaced, and it wouldn't let me do it. The slot for the Start Menu logo has a fixed width, with very little fixed padding assigned to it on the left, so it is impossible to expand the logo to make it wider, or to give it extra padding on the left, without shrinking the whole logo. If you try to do that, it simply shrinks the entire logo and makes it look narrower. That is not a good design. If they want everything to have a fixed width, they should assign the same fixed padding to the left of the logo as to the right (or rather, twice the width), so that everything on the task bar looks evenly spaced.
bulevardi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bulevardi »

I avoid the logo by changing them to text.
e.g. "Menu", or *oink*, *burp* "GoGoGoooo" or something like that.
oink.png
oink.png (6.31 KiB) Viewed 13734 times
Get In Touch^^
harfad

Post by harfad »

bulevardi wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:47 am I avoid the logo by changing them to text.
e.g. "Menu", or *oink*, *burp* "GoGoGoooo" or something like that.

oink.png
The ides is to make Linux Mint look better, not worse. Making it look worse is not an accomplishment.

Of all the examples of Linux logos that gm10 posted above, I like the logo for Elementary OS best. It is the most elegant, stylish, and artistic design. You can see it here:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... y_logo.svg
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

I’m using this custom menu icon. It’s 96x96 pixels but also looks good scaled down to 48x48 pixels and the dark green letters are more visible, even on a panel with low height.

menu logo.png
shortcutlacie

Post by shortcutlacie »

Nice one.
harfad

Post by harfad »

roblm wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:19 am I’m using this custom menu icon. It’s 96x96 pixels but also looks good scaled down to 48x48 pixels and the dark green letters are more visible, even on a panel with low height.

menu logo.png
Why does it have to have "LM" written on it? The Windows 10 menu icon looks like this:

https://cdn.imgbin.com/19/11/10/imgbin- ... Gt57FE.jpg

It doesn't have "W" written on it. Windows 7 menu icon looked like this:

https://cdn.imgbin.com/23/14/23/imgbin- ... EazcB3.jpg

That didn't have "W" written on it either. Apple Mac icon looks like this:

http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/dtaf ... r-icon.png

It is elegant, stylish, artistic, and very well designed. It doesn't have "IOSX" written on it neither. So why does Linux Mint icon have to have "LM" written on it? In case somebody forgot what it was? :roll: I have been looking at the latest official proposals, which can be seen here:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/10/lin ... ogo-update

And I am not terribly impressed. It is marginally better than the existing one, but that is no achievement. Almost anything is likely to be. But it doesn't even close to being outstanding. To come close, they need to learn to think out of the box, not be stuck with "LM" for the rest of eternity to come.
usn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by usn »

Hi there,

Personally never liked the Linux Mint logo since de beginning, although I'm using nothing but Mint as daily distribution. I always found the Ming logo so heavy, "artificial" and little kitschy. But since the last 19.3 version, the disc rounded thing, I like it very much, but still, the logomark in the inside doesn't change, and the "L" appears very tall.. So, I give a little and quick work this afternoon, to give something much lighter and much trendy, let say...

Hence, I propose this one :
The "L" and the "M" still there, but hugging much suitably and much lovely ;)
Hove you like it, and take it may be, for the next v20.
Attachments
newmint.png
TheEpicRock3099

Post by TheEpicRock3099 »

This looks good!
user237

Post by user237 »

Linux Mint.png
Linux Mint.png (3.6 KiB) Viewed 8138 times
Kind of like "open source"...
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

kind of like a modified symbolic email symbol :?
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Return to “Your Artwork”