usplash livecd

Help make Linux Mint look better.
planctus
Level 1
Level 1

usplash livecd

Post by planctus » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:11 am

Hello,
i was wondering how to change the usplash for the livecd....
i found just a few things on the net and they didn't work.
the issue is initrd.gz, in casper directory, this is the goal...
but, how to change it?
i tried with an usplash actually working on a dapper installed system, just overwriting the usplash-artwork.so in the original initrd.gz.
It produces only a black screen, that meens that something changed but not in the right way..
Think you solved this for linux mint,
can you tll me how to do that?
I'm using dapper, and editing initrd.gz withhout mounting as a loop, just uncompressing it and updating with find and cpio..
Thanks in advance
planctus

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:40 am

Hi.

You need to update it in two different places:

- in your squashedfs system...
- in your casper directory for the ISO.

for the squashefs... chroot and then update--alternatives, then dpkg-reconfigure your kernel.

for the casper live cd overwrite the so file and regenerate the initram.

You can use reconstructor to automate some of that process.

PS: be patient... it's a very annoying and time consuming process.
Clem

planctus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by planctus » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:13 pm

for the casper live cd overwrite the so file and regenerate the initram
I've done yet with the squashedfs,
i'm troubling with the initrd...
how to regenerate the initram?
I've been using cpio and find to do changes, and something happened as i told you,
but i have ablack screen now.
Do i have to use mkinitramfs to do that, instead?
There's another chance,
i used qemu to test the iso, and it showed me a black screen at the moment that usplash starts, could be just a qemu problem? Maybe not, but i have to ask you...
Thanks, again
Davide

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:37 pm

qemu is fine. It might be your splash screen itself and the boot options for your kernel... vga=711 for instance. You can look at the reconstructor script to see how to generate the initram.

planctus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by planctus » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:10 pm

clem wrote:qemu is fine. It might be your splash screen itself and the boot options for your kernel... vga=711 for instance. You can look at the reconstructor script to see how to generate the initram.
The splash file has been tested, i use in my installed dapper, and it works
don't know what to do with the framebuffer, the image is standard 640x480 but in my installed system it works only if i set vga=791 (...1024x768) in grub menu.lst,
how to set the framebuffer with isolinux instead?
I took a look in reconstructor.py and i've found one of the string i've been using

find | cpio -H newc -o | gzip > ../initrd.gz' + '; mv -f ../initrd.gz
I mean, this is the way to update the initrd.gz,
actually i was removing it and putting a newer inside the casper directory,
i had anothe attempt and i've got kernel panic,
now i'll try to use the recontructor "formula" again...
Don't you think it's crazy how's difficult to change a stupid image after you've change an entire OS with a few commands?
Thanks, i'll post soon again
Davide

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:34 pm

It is.. I even thought of replacing usplash with splashy.

planctus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by planctus » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:59 pm

clem wrote:It is.. I even thought of replacing usplash with splashy.
Yeah, me too....
but i got working usplash in the installed dapper and i decided to not give up...

Something happened...
now it works!!! but i have the same problem i encountered in the installed:
it works only when it's set up in 1024x768 and i can't understand why, the image is 640x480...but that is,
so, do you know how to tell the livecd to start in 1024x768 by default?
If i find the answer maybe i can burn this iso and stop consuming my time and my mind for a while..
I'll post some screenshot of my distro that is called bao;linux, derived from the name of my bar in Rome, bao;bar (open_source/cocktail.bar) where we offer free internet connection with our host powered by gnu/linux..
This is the last of hundreds of lazy projects i've been involved in the last year, i'm going crazy...
Just a question, linuxmint will provide non-free codecs? I'm still in trouble about what to do with that proprietary code, do you know if it's possible to distribute it without paying royalties?
I hope so, obviously..
Thanks a lot for helping me, i hope you have the last answer for me!!!
Davide

planctus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by planctus » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:22 pm

Done.
Done.
Done.
i'm going to repeat those words in my mind until tomorrow!!!!
But, seriously i've still great problems, maybe i'll be back asking for advices...
I'm curious to know how you solved some issues,
i was not able to change the hostname, even editing casper scripts,
and i'd like to stop adding live cd user script, because i worked with another user and it's configuration so i don't need the "ubuntu" user..
i renamed the script, that is 10adduser in casper-bottom if i remember, but maybe it still use it, i don't know...
Thanks,
Davide

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:59 pm

Hi,

The user and hostname settings are some of reconstructor's features. Linux Mint does include codecs. Depending on which country's law you're actually trying to follow you are or are not subjected to software patent. We simply believe in the locality of the law and the universality of moral values: since our media, our Internet, and our content is encrypted within these formats we believe it is our right to be able to play and decrypt them, so we do include the means to do so.

Clem

planctus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by planctus » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:35 am

clem wrote:Hi,

The user and hostname settings are some of reconstructor's features. Linux Mint does include codecs. Depending on which country's law you're actually trying to follow you are or are not subjected to software patent. We simply believe in the locality of the law and the universality of moral values: since our media, our Internet, and our content is encrypted within these formats we believe it is our right to be able to play and decrypt them, so we do include the means to do so.

Clem
Clem, i'm with you..
What we believe in is what make us act as a community, and we're all working for freedom in communication, information and knowledge. But unfourtunately we have enemies, working for their privileges, their profits and the law is their allied.
I'm in Italy, and maybe ther's no software patent issue at now, but certanly there's a copyright issue and licenses limitation...

Back to our goals, i preferred not to use scripts packed for remastering, just bash and my curiosity and patience...but taking eye on that scripts helped me one time at least, so i'll do again,
Thank you,
i'm gonna follow your project in it's development
see you
Davide.

Return to “Artwork”