New Linux Mint graphical profile?

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Troken

New Linux Mint graphical profile?

Post by Troken »

After what I've read in topics about the Linux Mint slogan and logo, I thought it could be a nice idea to stretch those thoughts to a complete graphical profile and a graphical manual. I am aware that there might already exist a graphical profile, but if so, I think an update would do good.

With this, I do not think that the current visual elements are bad, on the contrary: its really good. But I think it might be a good idea to make a proper profile with specifications for colors, typefaces, logotypes etc. The current logo and its font is nice, but somewhat outdated. I played around with a new logo, with the current as a base, and came up with a sketch that hade many positive comments so far. I dont say that its a final suggestion, more a starting point for a discussion.

As I mentioned in another topic: Mint is great and it is worth an elegant, professional and modern look.

You can download the current work document here (a 10 mb EPS): http://web.comhem.se/troken/linuxmint/mintlogotype.eps
Feel free to use it, adjust it or tweak it. As long as Linux Mint is free, the logotype will be too! :)

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: New Linux Mint graphical profile?

Post by tdockery97 »

May I use your logo on my desktop to ID it as Mint, like so:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Troken

Post by Troken »

tdockery97 wrote:May I use your logo on my desktop to ID it as Mint, like so:
Of course, feel free to use it as you wish.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Troken

Post by Troken »

Jernau did a great suggestion for a new visual appearence for Mint, check it out:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18751
GodofAnotherWorld

Post by GodofAnotherWorld »

I think that logo on the left would be awesome for a new logo.
Troken

Post by Troken »

A visual identity needs unified colors - a color scheme. I've noticed that Linux Mint use many different colors in the different channels (desktop, logotype, website etc.), the colors sprawl in different directions. I have made an attemt to make a color scheme, based on all the different colors that exist in todays world of mint. You can see the suggestion below. I am very interested in opinions and comments about it. The goal would be to give Linux Mint a stronger and clearer visual identity.

kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

I agree, Mint should incorporate your logo. I liked it so much I copied it.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

I still think Troken has some valid points here.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Troken

Post by Troken »

Zwopper wrote:I still think Troken has some valid points here.
Thanks Zwopper. Yes, even if this discussion is six years old now, it is more relevant than ever. Today, Linux Mint is the (probably) most popular Linux OS out there. From a communicators standpoint, I can not see any real consistent graphical idea - which is not the best thing. The only consistent element is the old logo (which by the way is fine*). But when it comes to colors, fonts and other things, it is somewhat messy. The "brand" of Linux Mint could be more stabile and strong.

Sure, green as color is used. But what green? I see different greens in different places and channels, as long as they are fairly "minty". Unified font used in the different channels? Can't see it.

You shoud feel that you are in the "Linux Mint-world", regardless if your in the OS, the website, the forum, the community webb, if you read a manual, and so forth. Today it's a mish-mash.

It would be nice to hear the Mint teams thoughts on this. Maybe they are already working according to something similar? Or maybe this is not something they give priority to? Regardless, IMHO it should be discussed at least.

PS. Fun to see this discussion with todays eyes :-)

* When it comes to the logotype, actually today it is so established among people so im not sure it is the best idea anymore to completely change it. Maybe tweak it a Little, but try to keep the essential look. Unless the Mint Team has a completely new direction for Linux Mint, when it comes to the visual appearence.
JusTertii

Post by JusTertii »

Troken wrote:* When it comes to the logotype, actually today it is so established among people so im not sure it is the best idea anymore to completely change it. Maybe tweak it a Little, but try to keep the essential look. Unless the Mint Team has a completely new direction for Linux Mint, when it comes to the visual appearence.
That's what I like about yours -- it re-vamps it, like what Microsoft did with the windows logo going from 95/95 -> xp.
Troken

Post by Troken »

JusTertii wrote:
Troken wrote:* When it comes to the logotype, actually today it is so established among people so im not sure it is the best idea anymore to completely change it. Maybe tweak it a Little, but try to keep the essential look. Unless the Mint Team has a completely new direction for Linux Mint, when it comes to the visual appearence.
That's what I like about yours -- it re-vamps it, like what Microsoft did with the windows logo going from 95/95 -> xp.
Cheers. Maybe I should give it another go.
JusTertii

Post by JusTertii »

Troken wrote:
JusTertii wrote:
Cheers. Maybe I should give it another go.
Do so. If you ever need any support, PM me. I'll gladly throw my five-cents in behind it.

Have you done any work with themes and that sort of thing? I'm thinking you might have an easier time selling your logo if it could be included in a cool theme.
Troken

Post by Troken »

JusTertii wrote:Do so. If you ever need any support, PM me. I'll gladly throw my five-cents in behind it.

Have you done any work with themes and that sort of thing? I'm thinking you might have an easier time selling your logo if it could be included in a cool theme.
Thank you! I don't have any experience in making themes for an OS, but I work with stuff like graphic profile, brands etc. I think I could contribute something if someone would need help.
Troken

Post by Troken »

Actually, over the years a idea has grown in my mind that might sound controversial, but I think that the team should consider abandoning the "Linux" in "Linux Mint".

Just Mint. Plain and simple.

The reasons behind this idea are many. The word Linux can be associated with complicated computery ... stuff. Stuff that won't tempt ordinary newcomers to try Linux Mint. Take Ubuntu for an example. You don't spontaneously come to think of "Linux" when talking about it. It's just Ubuntu, another OS. Or Windows. Or iOs. Or Debian. etc. For a non-techie, the name Mint wouldn't be associated with Linux, and everything that Linux might be associated with. I think it is important, since Linux Mint is for everyone, experienced users and rookies. The name should too.

Also, Mint is enough. Simple and plain, as I mentioned above. I think it would stick out more, and be more easily remembered. A pretty cool name for an OS.

The name "Mint" is also close to "Linux Mint", so you wouldn't have to worry to much for the old user base. It's close to what we're used to, without making a totally new cool name (like when XMBC switched name to Kodi. For another reason of course, but the transision is fairly big. Can be hard to accept for some people).

Further on, Mint would feel more mature as a name. A real contender to other OS:es, with all the linux goodies inside, but an OS on its own. It would signal that it is a strong brand, without clinging on to Linux. Mint is strong, popular and a very easy to use - the name should be to.

I'll stop there, just some thoughts. :)
Troken

Post by Troken »

Oh, yeah, then of course the logo should be redone in an appropriate way.
nananoir

Post by nananoir »

Hey Troken,

thanks for including your eps file. I stole it and made a new version. Hope you like it..
custom_icon.png
cheers.
JusTertii

Post by JusTertii »

@nananoir, that's also pretty cool. Thanks!
Troken

Post by Troken »

nananoir wrote:Hey Troken,

thanks for including your eps file. I stole it and made a new version. Hope you like it..
custom_icon.png
cheers.
How dare you! :) Of course, use it as you wish. Nice logo, well done!
ddeo

Post by ddeo »

Great logo (right one as it more look like leaf of mint), I would love to see it went as official. I also like the idea about having just simple "Mint" as a OS name. There is not only Ubuntu who doesn't use "Linux" but also SteamOS, Debian, elementaryOS, openSUSE and others.

I've seen statement recently (this or last year?) that Mint team is planning whole graphics revamp as current one is outdated. The statement was about OS icons and website mostly, but I think logo could be improved also.

ps. the only thing I think could be improved in logo (the right one) is the bottom right corner of it, the corner is too sharp in my opinion, dosn't look like mint leaf and gives "unsafe" feeling, like the OS is harsh to touch. I would change it back to 90 degree angle just like in original logo. Rest is simply great.

Return to “Your Artwork”