different wallpapers for different workspaces in Gnome??

Help make Linux Mint look better.
eMINT
Level 2
Level 2

different wallpapers for different workspaces in Gnome??

Post by eMINT » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:29 am

having different wallpapers for different workspaces in Gnome would be great (like in KDE)!! since i recognize my workspace using the wallpaper!

i prefeer Gnome over KDE but i think this is a must have for Gnome. what do you think about?

ive found some ideas here.. http://anuragbansal.wordpress.com/2008/ ... in-ubuntu/
but the sacrifice is too much, i dont want to loose se visibility of my lunchers..

any better ideas?}

thx

eMINT
Level 2
Level 2

Re: different wallpapers for different workspaces in Gnome??

Post by eMINT » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:19 am

more here... it says
Nautilus can’t draw icons onto a transparent background. This is planned to be fixed in the next version of GNOME and Ubuntu.
is it already done??

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/07/2 ... ompiz-076/

eMINT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by eMINT » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:48 pm

any ideas??

Notna888
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Notna888 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:56 pm

I am currently on Fluxbox 8 but in my search for a wallpaper per desktop application, I found this one program called wallpapoz, it's supposed to work for Gnome, but I've never tried it
http://wallpapoz.akbarhome.com/download.html
I've heard good things about it, that's why I am suggesting it

cwoolbright
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cwoolbright » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Never heard of wallpapoz, I did it via your first link method // compiz.
I finally did it and LOVE the result. A workspace for school, work, music...
On 9 however you still do sacrifice lack of icons... but I've never been much of one for desktop icons. Hey, did you know you keep the panel? and you can customize the panel with all your launchers, that's how I did it - mini icons!

I did have to install compiz plugins-extra in order to get the multiple wallpapers.

Next, I'm curious if you can embed a terminal in a workspace without nautilus drawing the desktop...

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:18 pm

cwoolbright wrote:Never heard of wallpapoz, I did it via your first link method // compiz.
I finally did it and LOVE the result. A workspace for school, work, music...
On 9 however you still do sacrifice lack of icons... but I've never been much of one for desktop icons. Hey, did you know you keep the panel? and you can customize the panel with all your launchers, that's how I did it - mini icons!

I did have to install compiz plugins-extra in order to get the multiple wallpapers.
Did you try wallpapoz on the Mint 9 GNOME edition?

And, I'm not sure which link method you were referring to above.

I don't use desktop icons, so maybe this will work for me.

cwoolbright
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cwoolbright » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:36 pm

No, I am doing it via compiz like in the link from the original post:
http://anuragbansal.wordpress.com/2008/ ... in-ubuntu/
I haven't ever tried wallpapoz. Oh, and you also have to sacrifice right clicking on the desktop.

eMINT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by eMINT » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:06 pm

wallpapoz didnt solve the problem... why? because its an app that changes the wallpaper when it detects some event.. so when it detects that u switch to desktop 2 for example it changes the wallpaper.. but just a bit after. so when you r looking for the cube! you see the same wallpaper in every face... and the icons on the desktop are always the same...

the compiz way is too much sacrifice to me, i use a lot the big launchers and the right click..

i want to find a real solution with 4 real different and independant desktops like in KDE! :(

cwoolbright
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cwoolbright » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Maybe it wasn't so much of a sacrifice for me because I'm used to not using desktop icons. You do know you can use still use AWN for your icons?

>>compiz is just sleek with the different desktops.

eMINT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by eMINT » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:08 am

cwoolbright wrote:Maybe it wasn't so much of a sacrifice for me because I'm used to not using desktop icons. You do know you can use still use AWN for your icons?

>>compiz is just sleek with the different desktops.

a different awn dock for each?

anyway its a good idea i just have to get used to use the small icons off the pannels...

Brad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Brad » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:04 pm

might be included in gnome 3

eMINT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by eMINT » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:06 pm

Brad wrote:might be included in gnome 3
i hope so

cmedina
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmedina » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:56 pm

Try this...
If for any reason you can't find a solution for this and these examples here doesn't resolve your problem making the wallpaper plugin to work and you are using mint.. try this (I am currently using Mint 10):

1. Just enable the wallpaper plugin (No need to enable any of the 3D cube nor cube effects) and add the wallpapers equivalent to your virtual desktops count.
2. Disable the desktop on nautilus as explained above
(to open nautilus just use terminal and input "gconf-editor")
3. Once desktop is disabled just press <Super>+p (Windows key+p)

I am a newbie to linux and mint... so dont ask me what it does, it just works. I just learned it has something to do with the variable as_triggerscreen_key. Thanks for the info on this website though. Hope this helps anybody who has been struggling for too much time with this with no luck, like I did.

For wallpaper plugin install package compiz-fusion-plugins-extra

youngdaddytc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by youngdaddytc » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:58 pm

cmedina wrote:Try this...
If for any reason you can't find a solution for this and these examples here doesn't resolve your problem making the wallpaper plugin to work and you are using mint.. try this (I am currently using Mint 10):

1. Just enable the wallpaper plugin (No need to enable any of the 3D cube nor cube effects) and add the wallpapers equivalent to your virtual desktops count.
2. Disable the desktop on nautilus as explained above
(to open nautilus just use terminal and input "gconf-editor")
3. Once desktop is disabled just press <Super>+p (Windows key+p)

I am a newbie to linux and mint... so dont ask me what it does, it just works. I just learned it has something to do with the variable as_triggerscreen_key. Thanks for the info on this website though. Hope this helps anybody who has been struggling for too much time with this with no luck, like I did.

For wallpaper plugin install package compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
this worked in mint 9 just fine, but isn't working in mint 10 for me. went through the steps exactly but when i uncheck the box for 'show desktop' it starts to come up with errors. notice the screenshots...
Attachments
phpP0kxHsPM.jpg
phpP0kxHsPM.jpg (36.24 KiB) Viewed 10310 times
php490z08PM.jpg
php490z08PM.jpg (36.88 KiB) Viewed 10310 times

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:57 am

nice

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

xavivaldi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xavivaldi » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:21 am

I'm getting exactly the same problem as youngdaddytc, I was able to get the images on each face perfectly in LM 9, but now in LM 10 it just won't work. I tried the solution proposed by cmedina, and the results were the same, broken images of windows I've opened before, even after rebooting. I tried with the wallpaper plugin, selected the images in the cube plugin, checked it, unchecked it, checked and unchecked the show desktop in nautilus' setting, and the best I can get is the cube with the four horizontal faces showing the default grey wallpaper of LM 10 and an image I picked for the top face of the cube. I'd appreciate if anyone can give me a hand

TheKidDoog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheKidDoog » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:06 pm

I'm getting the same issue as the two above me in LM10. As soon as I go to disable "show desktop" in nautilus, the computer just bogs down, freezes and just can't run, even when rebooted. I'd love to get this to actually work without reverting back to Isadora if anyone has any ideas.

youngdaddytc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by youngdaddytc » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:03 pm

TheKidDoog wrote:I'm getting the same issue as the two above me in LM10. As soon as I go to disable "show desktop" in nautilus, the computer just bogs down, freezes and just can't run, even when rebooted. I'd love to get this to actually work without reverting back to Isadora if anyone has any ideas.
still waiting myself. i think we have 4 choices. 1. fix it ourself i.e. write our own code. 2. wait for someone else to do it. 3. wait for (and hope for) a fix in mint 11 or 4. revert back to mint 9.

all these options suck in my opinion. there has to be an easy fix, like changing one line of code to say something else. or changing a 0 somewhere to a 1, or vice versa. but i just dont know how or where to find this particular data.

any help would be much appreciated linux guru's :-) im willing to experiment if i know where to start.

youngdaddytc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by youngdaddytc » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:04 pm

youngdaddytc wrote:
TheKidDoog wrote:I'm getting the same issue as the two above me in LM10. As soon as I go to disable "show desktop" in nautilus, the computer just bogs down, freezes and just can't run, even when rebooted. I'd love to get this to actually work without reverting back to Isadora if anyone has any ideas.
still waiting myself. i think we have 4 choices. 1. fix it ourself i.e. write our own code. 2. wait for someone else to do it. 3. wait for (and hope for) a fix in mint 11 or 4. revert back to mint 9.

all these options suck in my opinion. there has to be an easy fix, like changing one line of code to say something else. or changing a 0 somewhere to a 1, or vice versa. but i just dont know how or where to find this particular data.

any help would be much appreciated linux guru's :-) im willing to experiment if i know where to start.
i think i may have found a solution, just have to figure out how to do it. i've discovered that the problem is the wallpaper plugin/package/whatever it's called in linux. that package worked in mint 9 right? so why can't we roll back to that version, and then try to use different wallpapers? now i just have to figure out where to get an old version of those files, and replace the newer wallpaper plugin files with the old ones.

amina
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amina » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:22 am

On Ubuntu 10.10 there is (was?) a problem with this too. I checked this in January for the last time.
Back then someone there found the following workaround: after boot, you have to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to virtual console and then Ctrl+Alt+F7 to get back to Gnome. After this the wallpapers plugin starts to work, do not ask me why :D
But you will have to do this after every boot, unless someone fixed it in the meantime :S

Return to “Artwork”