New Mint log on/log off sound

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
verdegal37

Post by verdegal37 »

Hey Xanikseo , very pretty perfect they sound stupendously :shock: :shock:
Thanks;
Agust
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Well you definately have talent, that's for sure. :D

Personally I don't like them and its not because they weren't done well. I'm not really into classical music.

There was a thread a while back that someone started to create a new jingle, but they seem to have disappeared. http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... gle&t=3794 They were very much on the right track. I personally liked what they created, but it did need a bit more refining. Do you think you can pick up where this person left off?

You have the talent and you will forever be immortalized in the distro when you pull it off. :D
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Not too bad. Definately on the right track. Right now I think it sounds too cute. Kinda makes me want to skip around :wink: Also unfortunately I don't have a copy of the sound bite :( from the other posting...

See if this design guidance can help:

Start off with an ambient natural sound, for example, being out-side on a grassy knoll hearing birds maybe the wind rustling leaves, then start to fade in and build up an electronic sounding jingle, that builds up hits a high point and fades out somewhat quickly. Think THX sound jingle.

BTW I'm very impressed that you were able to turn that around so quickly, your awsome!
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Not bad, but after listening for a few times it started to destroy my nerve system. :shock:
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

the second one to childish
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Great! I'm looking forward to your next attempt. :D
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Thanks for working on this, as Carlos said if you manage to make something great it will be a really cool addition to our distribution.

I don't like the first series of sounds.

The second one is on the right track, it sounds professional but it also makes me think of Microsoft Windows.... I don't know why, maybe because that's the kind of sound they would actually use. Try something more modern, technological, affirmative. the sound we use at the moment, although of lower quality than yours follows these feelings... it's clear, brief, and very affirmative.

And the main thing: you need something you can hear 10,000 times and not get bored with. Think of a company running mint where people hear that sound 100 times every morning :) The sound we have at the moment is not particularly great but it's brief and impersonal enough not to bore people when repeated over and over. I don't know if we can speak of "syllables" for a sound... but I would definitely try to shorten the number of them... make the sound simpler, maybe less melodic to ensure people hear it but don't get sick of it with time being.

God, it's hard to describe sounds, isn't it? Especially in a foreign language.. I hope I made sense somehow :)

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

something you can hear 10,000 times and not get bored with
We're going to need testers :lol:
hugh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hugh »

Hi, I've taken the latest startup sound (3rd October) and I actually quite like it - thanks for that !

I'll let you know if it is still as good after 10000 bootups :shock:

Cheers :) :)

Hugh
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing . . .

WARNING this user only has a little knowledge :)
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

:D I like them
kind sound the same, but I like them, big improvement :shock:
Thank you!!
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Hi Xanikseo, finally got a chance to listen to the new sounds. Not too bad. I actually prefer the shutdown sound to the start up. The startup seems to lack presence, while the shutdown seems to have more of it. So maybe taking what you did in the shutdown and emphisize it a bit more for a start up sounds and see where that takes you.

keep it up! :D
MikesHeadRoom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MikesHeadRoom »

Hey guys, I thought I'd try creating some login and logout themes as well. I figure the more ideas to work with, the better. Any feedback is appreciated.

Login Theme
Logout Theme
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Strange, MikesHeadRoom your files are not playing for me...
MikesHeadRoom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MikesHeadRoom »

I used a Yamaha keyboard for the content creation. I hope it doesn't pose a problem that the keyboard is not open source :?.

Regretfully, I'm using Cool Edit Pro under Windows for the recording and mixing. I'm having trouble recording more than one track in a session using Audacity. I hope to have that figured out soon though.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

:D I like them very much is fresh, modern, and the sound quality is very good!!
the logout is a bit to long and soft it kinda sounds like ENYA with is not bad

but overall fantastic work
Thank you
Last edited by frank392 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Yeah I'm on a mac right now will have to check them out when I get home later this evening.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Ok, first of all I'm really happy to see more and more people working on this and things going ahead. It's really hard to pick something that subjective (remember how long it took us Carlos to actually pick up that new logo :)), but as we're listening to more and more samples we should eventually find what we're looking for (assuming we know, which is probably not true..).

So anyway..

Xanikseo: I find your new sounds too masculine. You took my comments too far (probably my fault) and it sounds like something you would hear when you launch a war game or a first-person-shooter... it makes me think of an army/war game :)

MikesHeadRoom: I actually like these a lot. Maybe a bit too complex compared to what we have now, but nice all the same..

PS: Don't mind my comments too much by the way.. I really don't have a clue what I'm looking for :) If you have your own idea of what you would like it to be, go for it and gather comments from anyone. Maybe other people can help by pointing at existing sounds on the web they like already.

Clem
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

I'll let you know if it is still as good after 10000 bootups
i boot about once every 2 days,
365 days a year....
damn it would take me about 50 years to clock up 10000 boots :)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

hairy_Palms: Then you'd better hurry and start right now :lol:
hugh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hugh »

Well, I must be up to about 100 ('cos I'm always in and out of my laptop), and the original Log On sound in the very first post is still fine to me :D

Cheers :) :)

Hugh
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing . . .

WARNING this user only has a little knowledge :)

Return to “Your Artwork”