Mint-X theme - rounded bottom corners?

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Mint-X theme - rounded bottom corners?

Post by tpprynn »

I'd like to round the bottom corners of the Mint-X metacity border, just for when it's a normal window, not maximised. The Equinox theme's border is the kind of thing I mean. I've changed the word 'false' to 'true' in a line that might look like it'd do this job, but though the corners become rounded they have no black outline like at the top, just a gap.

So if anyone here is up on this sort of thing and can tell me what to change, that'd be good, thanks.

p.s. I've found that commenting out the last line of the gtk file for Mint-X (something like include panel.rc) and then adding the panel background manually gets rid of that error where the Indicator Applet is not themed correctly.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
samriggs

Re: Mint-X theme - rounded bottom corners?

Post by samriggs »

tpprynn wrote:I'd like to round the bottom corners of the Mint-X metacity border, just for when it's a normal window, not maximised. The Equinox theme's border is the kind of thing I mean. I've changed the word 'false' to 'true' in a line that might look like it'd do this job, but though the corners become rounded they have no black outline like at the top, just a gap.

So if anyone here is up on this sort of thing and can tell me what to change, that'd be good, thanks.
Just change this line

Code: Select all

<frame_geometry name="normal" rounded_top_left="true" rounded_top_right="true" rounded_bottom_left="false" rounded_bottom_right="false">
to this

<frame_geometry name="normal" rounded_top_left="true" rounded_top_right="true" rounded_bottom_left="true" rounded_bottom_right="true">
This makes the corner rounded but will not create the black outline you indicated, it just makes the corner rounded and leaves a gap like you stated.
Since this is all coded and no images are used the bottom corners will also have to be coded as well, I usually use images and shade my own corners instead through images.
What you need to do is look at this section in the metacity file

<!-- ::: CORNERS OUTLINE::: -->
<draw_ops name="corners_outline">
	<!-- top left Dark -->
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.66" x1="1" y1="3" x2="1" y2="4"/>
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.66" x1="2" y1="2" x2="2" y2="2"/>
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.66" x1="3" y1="1" x2="3" y2="1"/>
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.66" x1="4" y1="1" x2="4" y2="1"/>

<!-- top right Dark -->
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.66" x1="width-2" y1="3" x2="width-2" y2="4"/>
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.66" x1="width-3" y1="2" x2="width-3" y2="2"/>
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.66" x1="width-4" y1="1" x2="width-4" y2="1"/>
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.66" x1="width-5" y1="1" x2="width-5" y2="1"/>

<!-- top left White -->
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/1.00" x1="2" y1="4" x2="2" y2="5"/>
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/1.02" x1="3" y1="3" x2="3" y2="3"/>
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/1.08" x1="4" y1="2" x2="4" y2="2"/>
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/1.14" x1="5" y1="2" x2="5" y2="2"/>

<!-- top right White -->
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/1.00" x1="width-3" y1="3" x2="width-3" y2="4"/>
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/1.02" x1="width-4" y1="2" x2="width-4" y2="2"/>
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/1.08" x1="width-5" y1="1" x2="width-5" y2="1"/>
	<line color="shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/1.14" x1="width-6" y1="1" x2="width-6" y2="1"/>

</draw_ops>
And make another draw_op (example:draw_ops name="bottom_corners_outline") for the bottom corners as well, might take some playing around with but it shouldn't take much. The code is pretty much written already for you, just some changes to make it on the bottom corners instead.
Have fun and hope this helps you out.

Sam
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

Excellent, glad someone got back to me about this, I'll give it a go later! Maybe looking at another Metacity file in conjunction with your notes will help me see where the adjustment's needed. Thanks.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "tpprynn", & "samriggs",

Good information, could you both please be a little more specific and provide the name(s) and locations of the file(s) that you are editing? Thank you...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

phd21 wrote:Hi "tpprynn", & "samriggs",

Good information, could you both please be a little more specific and provide the name(s) and locations of the file(s) that you are editing? Thank you...
:shock: this was from 2011

8) I still know though, old but the ole memory ain't totally gone yet.

Here is the link to the file, I checked and it still has the same ole parts in it.

usr/share/themes/Mint-x/metacity-1/metacity-theme-1.xml

If you want to make your own metacity from this just copy the whole metacity-1 folder, create a folder in your .themes folder in your home directory and name it what you want the metacity theme to be, paste the meacity folder it into the folder you created in the .themes folder (if it isn't there just make it in your home home directory)
Now go in and make your changes as you like or whatever you want to do with it.
Then go into settings > themes and you should see it under window borders

you can also create spaces inbetween and do a heck of alot with metacity which is why it is my favorite to play with, xfce has a lot less what you can do.

Here is one very old example I did years ago https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1014627/

It has an older gtk theme in it but the metacity is still good to go, if you want to tear the code apart to how what else you can do with metacity.

Hope it helps you out

Sam
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "samriggs",

Thank you... :)
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "tpprynn",

FYI: I just happened across this article to add to this...

Gedit Themes - good information
Gedit, as well as xed, is an excellent text editor. Not only does it sport a variety of features that facilitate typing, programming, and file organization, but gedit also supports…get ready…wait for it…THEMES!
https://delightlylinux.wordpress.com/20 ... it-themes/
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

phd21 wrote:
gedit also supports…get ready…wait for it…THEMES!
https://delightlylinux.wordpress.com/20 ... it-themes/
That's very useful to know!

I too am interested in making my own customized themes but normally use nano for editing configuration files. This is largely the result of a hangover from my time with Windows where GUI text editors could screw up the formatting for this sort of thing. Having said that I am aware (and use some of) gedit's code recognition capabilities, so am getting used to it :-)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Your Artwork”