vino dosent start

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
maxp779
Level 1
Level 1

vino dosent start

Post by maxp779 »

/usr/lib/vino/vino-server

Is what is in the startup applications by default, it dosent start vino though. I run it myself manually and get the error: the desktop sharing service is not enabled so it should not be run.

Help?

darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: vino dosent start

Post by darethehair »

maxp779 wrote:/usr/lib/vino/vino-server

Is what is in the startup applications by default, it dosent start vino though. I run it myself manually and get the error: the desktop sharing service is not enabled so it should not be run.

Help?
I had the same issue, couldn't find a straight answer to this, so I gave in and installed 'x11vnc' as a VNC server instead of the much-simpler 'vino-server' that I had gotten used to as the hassle-less service. I had to experiment a bit with the command-line parameters of x11vnc, and find out where to put this so it would automatically start up each reboot. Seems to work OK, I guess.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.

maxp779
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maxp779 »

Yeah ive tried messing with x11vnc when I gave opensuse a shot, it seemed alright, worked well. Getting it to start on boot though.... holy god... why is that so complicated?! I gave up and went back to mint 16 in the end lol. I dont really fancy round 2 with x11vnc :(

woodsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by woodsman »

My apologies for not finding this thread before starting a new thread. A more detailed discussion of the problem is in this thread. Follow the links in the thread.

Return to “LMDE Archive”