Install xfce desktop alongside gnome in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
madwoollything
Level 3
Level 3

Install xfce desktop alongside gnome in LMDE

Postby madwoollything » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:14 am

I'd like to try out the xfce debian version and already have a gnome lmde version installed on a laptop.

Having looked in synatpic, there appears to be many xfce packages and I'm unsure which ones I need to have an 'authentic mint xfce desktop' running alongside the existing gnome desktop.

How do I do this without wiping the existing install and then installing the xfce debian version (which seems a bit drastic)?

xenopeek
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Install xfce desktop alongside gnome in LMDE

Postby xenopeek » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:34 am

Why not just run it in VirtualBox?

But if you want to, I think you can install the meta package task-xfce-desktop (or parts of what that meta package installs), and this will install all the usual Xfce packages. See description here: http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/task-xfce-desktop, install through the package manager (not by downloading this :wink:).

Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Brian49 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:42 am

I can confirm from my experience that it is possible to run the two desktops side by side by starting with LMDE Gnome and installing the relevant Xfce packages via Synaptic. I ended up uninstalling Xfce because I found it less satisfactory than Gnome, but that's another story. By the way, you can of course run LMDE Xfce from a DVD or a USB flash drive if you just want to get the feel of it.

madwoollything
Level 3
Level 3

Postby madwoollything » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:16 am

Thanks ...... will give this a try.

I'm partly thinking ahead in case the implementation of Gnome 3 in LMDE leaves me with a desktop that does not work for me (and friends/family I help).
I could then switch to XFCE without having to re-install all the LMDE boxes that I look after for other people.

Will installing the meta package create desktop that is the same as a fresh XFCE install?

xenopeek
Level 23
Level 23

Postby xenopeek » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:50 am

madwoollything wrote:Will installing the meta package create desktop that is the same as a fresh XFCE install?

No, as you will still have GNOME applications that wouldn't be in a fresh XFCE install. But if you want to test the upgrade path, this is the way (without reinstall). You may also look at http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/task-gnome-desktop to see what packages you might want to remove.

Best to also compare with Live DVD or USB stick, dual-boot or as shared a virtual machine.

Return to “Archive”