error using fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
Riko
Level 3
Level 3

error using fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

Postby Riko » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi all,

I recentely switch to LMDE (from Nadia from Maya from Ubuntu). I use fetchmail in a cronjob to extract certain emails automatically from our corporate mail server using imap with ssl on a regular basis. This setup is working flawlessly since years, however not anymore since I installed LMDE. This is the essential output of fetchmail:

Code: Select all

fetchmail: IMAP> A0001 CAPABILITY
fetchmail: Unknown login or authentication error on user@imap-server
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from user@imap-server
fetchmail: 6.3.21 querying imap-server (protocol IMAP) at Mon 25 Mar 2013 08:47:38 PM CET: poll completed
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 2

As I said, this was working fine before, is still working fine on a parallel install of Bodhi Linux but not on LMDE. I assume, it has something to do with the system wide ssl or fetchmal config, but so far haven't found any hint yet what it might be.

Thanks and cheers,
Riko

Riko
Level 3
Level 3

Re: error using fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

Postby Riko » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:50 am

Hi again,

just my own follow-up in case someone else encounters this problem. After installing different versions of fetchmail and/or openssl I still couldn't get it to work. I don't have time (probably nor the expertise) to solve it myself. But, a work around that did it for me is

1) do a local port forwarding via ssh using stunnel to the imap server
2) connect fetchmail to the local host without ssl

That works for me. Since thjis works while fetchmail/ssl doesn't, I conclude that somehow the interplay of fetchmail and openssl under LMDE screws up the direct connection.

Anyway, just thought I drop this here.

Cheers, Riko

Return to “Archive”