USB Speakers not working in LMDE - Laptop Audio is Dead

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
wagoneer89
Level 1
Level 1

USB Speakers not working in LMDE - Laptop Audio is Dead

Postby wagoneer89 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:12 pm

I picked up my headset a few months ago and got an awful static shock. Not only did I jump, but it blew out my laptops audio card. By trial and error I discovered that a set of USB speakers that I had, worked in Vista, and I set about finding the solution to get them working in LMDE. For a while the USB system worked, but something changed and they are again gone in LMDE. On boot up I get the message on the text screens: "Starting open sound system (failed, no kernal modules detected)." My boot screen in Grub 1.99-8 reports that I am using "Linux Mint 2.6.39-2-amd64". In another post I saw that the information retrieved by the command "inxi -SAxc 0" might be useful, so here's that:
inxi -SAxc 0
System: Host elplatnemous Kernel 2.6.39-2-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
Audio: Card Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller BusID: 00:1b.0

As I said above, the integral laptop sound card is toast. I'm trying to get a set of Logitech USB speakers working. (M/N:S-0155A) V20 Notebook speakers. They are working on the same machine in both Vista and Ubuntu.

I will reload the system if I have to, but repairing it would probably be a lot less work!

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

wagoneer89
Level 1
Level 1

Re: USB Speakers not working in LMDE - Laptop Audio is Dead

Postby wagoneer89 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Perhaps I didn'nt ask this question the right way.

i guess what I want to know is: Is there anyway to reload the sound system part of the total OS installation without going back to square one?

Thanks.
Bill

Return to “Archive”