UP7, cant boot lmde ever since

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
tomisnt
Level 1
Level 1

UP7, cant boot lmde ever since

Postby tomisnt » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:00 pm

I have a multiboot machine with Mint Olivia, LMDE, and windows as OSes. I haven't been able to boot LMDE ever since I did the UP7. I get a message saying, "There was an error loading the theme linuxmint. Couldnt reconize the image file '/usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg "

I haven't had time to post here until now. Anyone have any ideas how I might repair this?

cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Re: UP7, cant boot lmde ever since

Postby cwsnyder » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:32 am

I would log in to your Linux Mint Olivia or use a Live disk first. Now go to your /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg and copy the file to either your /home/<username>/ folder or other convenient folder, then simply copy a known good image from your /home/<username>/Pictures folder or other source over the top of /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg, overwriting it, for now, until you find out what the problem is.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Debian Mate 64-bit, Xubuntu xenial 64-bit, Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS Mate 64-bit

tomisnt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tomisnt » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:06 pm

cwsnyder wrote:I would log in to your Linux Mint Olivia or use a Live disk first. Now go to your /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg and copy the file to either your /home/<username>/ folder or other convenient folder, then simply copy a known good image from your /home/<username>/Pictures folder or other source over the top of /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg, overwriting it, for now, until you find out what the problem is.

Thanks, I tried this a couple times. I got the same response. One correction it states:

"There was an error loading the theme linuxmint. Couldnt reconize the image file format for file '/usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg "

cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Postby cwsnyder » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:06 pm

The best I can advise you would be to rename (mv) your /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg file to something like /usr/share/mdm/themes/linuxmint/background.jpg.bak , logout, then choose your background manually from the desktop settings.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Debian Mate 64-bit, Xubuntu xenial 64-bit, Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS Mate 64-bit

Return to “Archive”