Is MintUpdate the best way to keep LMDE up-to-date? [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
User avatar
inktitan
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Houston, Tx

Re: Is MintUpdate the best way to keep LMDE up-to-date?

Postby inktitan » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:37 am

I've never done it because it seems like a bad idea, but what if one was to simply use all of the "upgradeables" in the package manager? I assume it lacks all of the new additions but is it safe to use for just upgrading currently installed items? Using the previously mentioned commands the "sudo" update for me seems to break the terminal during the install. How would I exclude updating "sudo" from the process?
Proud hugger of Penguins.
Pentium D 2.8Ghz, 3 GB RAM, 1 GB Nvidia GT 240, Linux Mint Debian
“...not the strongest...survives, nor the most intelligent... It is...the [one] most adaptable to change.”~C.D.
Please do not post new topics in [solved] topics

secipolla
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: Is MintUpdate the best way to keep LMDE up-to-date?

Postby secipolla » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:21 am

Wrinkly wrote:Thanks for all the comments.

I've now installed secipolla's

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install debdelta

followed by

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo debdelta-upgrade


and I've also run Vincent's

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade


and both seemed to do things without stuffing up everything else. If I understand things correctly, both commands do the same job, except that debdelta does it a bit more intelligently and will save me time & bandwidth.

But, until now, I had been running MintUpdate, which is apparently not a very good idea.

So the next two questions are:
Have I somehow broken LMDE by using MintUpdate?
Should I do a complete re-install and then update using only either of the terminal commands mentioned above?


Wrinkly, both commands don't do the same thing. debdelta-upgrade is an 'extra' command. It doesn't install packages it just grabs them (actually grabs and builds the deltas).
It can be run before apt-get (upgrade or dist-upgrade), aptitude (safe-upgrade or full-upgrade) or a graphical package manager.
Also you just need to run 'apt-get update' once (it gets the information of which packages are upgradable).

So if you would opt for apt-get to upgrade your system, you wold run

Code: Select all

apt-get update && debdelta-upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade


Note to emphasize: debdelta-upgrade is useful for people that pay for the amount of bandwidth used (as Ikey's example showed) and for people that have relatively low speed connections (and as such it is definitely useful for you, Wrinkly).

Wrinkly
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Is MintUpdate the best way to keep LMDE up-to-date?

Postby Wrinkly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:49 pm

secipolla wrote:Wrinkly, both commands don't do the same thing. debdelta-upgrade is an 'extra' command. It doesn't install packages it just grabs them (actually grabs and builds the deltas).
It can be run before apt-get (upgrade or dist-upgrade), aptitude (safe-upgrade or full-upgrade) or a graphical package manager.
Also you just need to run 'apt-get update' once (it gets the information of which packages are upgradable).

So if you would opt for apt-get to upgrade your system, you wold run

Code: Select all

apt-get update && debdelta-upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade


Note to emphasize: debdelta-upgrade is useful for people that pay for the amount of bandwidth used (as Ikey's example showed) and for people that have relatively low speed connections (and as such it is definitely useful for you, Wrinkly).


Thank you very much for all of that, which I think I understand. But now I've hit a problem as you'll see from the output I've pasted here:

    Code: Select all

    aspire@5315-laptop ~ $ apt-get update && debdelta-upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    aspire@5315-laptop ~ $
What did I do wrong?
Last edited by Wrinkly on Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrinkly
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Is MintUpdate the best way to keep LMDE up-to-date?

Postby Wrinkly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:52 pm

ikey wrote:I'd also like to take the chance to +1 the debdelta-upgrade choice, I use it too.


Thank you, ikey, for this endorsement. I must say it gives me more confidence.
Cheers
Last edited by Wrinkly on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

rtrev
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:11 am

Re: Is MintUpdate the best way to keep LMDE up-to-date?

Postby rtrev » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Try adding sudo before each command. You need root privs to run these things. <g>

Wrinkly
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Is MintUpdate the best way to keep LMDE up-to-date?

Postby Wrinkly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:00 pm

rtrev wrote:Try adding sudo before each command. You need root privs to run these things. <g>

Oh yes. Thanks. That's much better now. Please don't let this be a symptom of dementia.

rtrev
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:11 am

Re: Is MintUpdate the best way to keep LMDE up-to-date?

Postby rtrev » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:03 pm

Wrinkly wrote:
rtrev wrote:Try adding sudo before each command. You need root privs to run these things. <g>

Oh yes. Thanks. That's much better now. Please don't let this be a symptom of dementia.


Oh, don't worry.. dementia only begins when you start trying to figure out GIMP. LOL! You're doing fine!

Bob

User avatar
Tony.B
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: Kent, UK & KZN, South Africa

Re: Is MintUpdate the best way to keep LMDE up-to-date? [SOL

Postby Tony.B » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:17 am

But, as I've found to my cost, not ALL updates are GOOD updates. Some of them seem to mess up everything. Is their any way of knowing in advance if we would be better leaving things un-updated?

msuggs
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:25 am
Location: non-local
Contact:

Re: Is MintUpdate the best way to keep LMDE up-to-date? [SOL

Postby msuggs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:06 am

Tony.B wrote:But, as I've found to my cost, not ALL updates are GOOD updates. Some of them seem to mess up everything. Is their any way of knowing in advance if we would be better leaving things un-updated?

Use apt-get upgrade or Mint update to upgrade your system (instead of apt-get dist-upgrade) and wait for Clem to sort out how LMDE will upgrade safely in the future. He has stated previously that this will be worked on after the release of Mint10.

User avatar
Tony.B
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: Kent, UK & KZN, South Africa

Re: Is MintUpdate the best way to keep LMDE up-to-date? [SOL

Postby Tony.B » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:05 pm

omns wrote:Use apt-get upgrade or Mint update to upgrade your system (instead of apt-get dist-upgrade) and wait for Clem to sort out how LMDE will upgrade safely in the future. He has stated previously that this will be worked on after the release of Mint10.

Thank you, omns.

Daemons
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: Is MintUpdate the best way to keep LMDE up-to-date? [SOL

Postby Daemons » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Hello,

What is the status of MintUpdate? It still has it's strange behaviour of not checking for updates unless clicked upon.

Marc

Ex-ubuntu user, and born again LMDE user.


Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests