Is it safe to update LMD?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tushargok

Is it safe to update LMD?

Post by tushargok »

I'm returning user of LMD. Last time (Just when it was released first time) I used LMD for a month and when I continued to keep my system updated it one day suddenly changed everything from Mint UI to default Debian. I've now installed the latest LMD download, it is showing me 1000+ updates are available. Is it safe to keep system updated? I do not want to loose the Mint theme, changes with the default debian one.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Is it safe to update LMD?

Post by nunol »

It should be safe but check first here before updating: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=67502
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

I'm running fully updated copies of LMDE on 3 separate PCs all with completely different hardware configurations, and all installed within the last week.

The only update problem I had was down to a daft error on my part - I was so used to using the main edition that I added Ubuntu PPAs to LMDE :oops:
tushargok

Post by tushargok »

Thanks a lot for your reply. After reading your reply I've decided that I'll take a chance and will run the full update. I hope it will be smooth one!
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

a few reminder if you are using the terminal to update via

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
a. you may encounter text files in the terminal informing you of changes and pressing the enter button won't help but press "q" instead.

b. When a configuration file is updated you will be asked to use the maintainers version or retain what you have. Try to read, before pressing anything. I should know as stupidity made my installation go pffft!

Return to “LMDE Archive”