Unusual dearth of updates to LMDE. <SOLVED>

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
davidy22
Level 1
Level 1

Unusual dearth of updates to LMDE. <SOLVED>

Post by davidy22 »

The distrowatch reviewer said that he had a good few hundred updates waiting for them when he first booted into LMDE. The review was a few weeks after the launch of the 2011 version of LMDE, and I expected there to be slightly more frequent updates than I'm getting.

It's been three weeks since the last new package that came into my system. There have been no error messages, my sources.list matches the one reccommended in the latest update pack and I haven't changed any important system files apart from the sources.list file. Wine was the last update I've gotten, and I'm on version 1.3.33 right now.

64-bit LMDE.

EDIT: Just got version 11.60 of Opera today! Nevermind that Banshee is still on version 2, and Firefox is still on version 5 - I have a new version of a browser that I only use for benchmarking purposes! Yay!

On a side note, the fact that this update made it through to me, and nothing else tells me this isn't a technical issue. I'm getting the impression that the mint team is getting behind on packaging, and I wouldn't mind taking up the job. It would be nice if the mint team could say something instead of sit around for a month and a half though. I was getting worried.
Last edited by davidy22 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Unusual dearth of updates to LMDE.

Post by zerozero »

this subject was/is discussed in several topics in the LMDE sub-forum.

[ bliss of ignorance ]
davidy22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidy22 »

I can't find an exact equivalent, but I did find a topic where someone was asking about why gnome 3 in LMDE was still on 3.0.

The answer was that LMDE is based on debian testing, so I took a quick look at http://packages.debian.org/testing/ for version numbers. The version of banshee in the testing repos is 2.2.1, and the iceweasel browser (debian version based on firefox) is on version 8. Openshot is on version 1.4 in the testing repos, 1.3 on my computer.

Link please, or an explaination.
Gerd50
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Gerd50 »

I believe in everything, except humans.

LM9, Debian Testing Xfce, Debian Sid Xfce - CPU/Amd64 2,6Ghz, Graphics/Nvidia 9600 GT, Sound/SB Audigy4 emu10K1
davidy22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by davidy22 »

Ah, thanks. That's none too impressive, I was kinda expecting a rolling release with just a small buffer. Liking the update pack idea less and less.

Return to “LMDE Archive”