Emacs fails with Font not defined error

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
rcjhawk
Level 1
Level 1

Emacs fails with Font not defined error

Postby rcjhawk » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:14 pm

I've been using Linux for 20 years or so, but I'm filing this under Newbe because I just installed LMDE 201303 to replace Ubuntu on my main Linux box. I left my /home directory intact, but let LMDE write over everything else.

Most things look fine, but what happened with emacs has me stumped.

When I tried to run emacs from the command line, I got the response:

$ emacs
Font `Ubuntu Mono 13' is not defined

and emacs failed. My .emacs file doesn't specify a font, but I deleted it and made sure that my ~/.emacs.d directory was empty.
Same result.

$ emacs -nw
works perfectly.

I didn't have this problem with my test system, 32 bit LMDE under VirtualBox. Of course it hadn't overwritten a Ubuntu installation either.

And I wouldn't have noticed this at all if the version of the Ubuntu Font Family shipping with LMDE included the Mono font (it only has sans). In desperation I did some searching and found the full set of UFF fonts at

http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/ubuntu//po ... um_all.deb

And with that Emacs runs. But this isn't an optimal solution. And I still have no idea why my system is even looking for that font. Does anyone have any ideas?

elbendecido
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Emacs fails with Font not defined error

Postby elbendecido » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:55 am

is a consequence of maintaining configuration files from your old home, maybe emacs load the user font config files located in .fontconfig folder.
Remember to mark the thread as solved. Click to edit the first post. At the top, add the word (solved) to the subject line.
Recuerda marcar el hilo como solucionado. Edita el primer post y agrega la palabra (Solucionado) en la línea del titulo (Subject)

rcjhawk
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Emacs fails with Font not defined error

Postby rcjhawk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:15 am

Aha! And I wouldn't have found it by grepping since the files are in binary. I think you are right, that's the logical place to look for such things.

Conclusion: When switching from Ubuntu to LMDE, delete every configuration file or directory which even looks like it was run on a Canonical system.

Return to “Archive”