how to handle bugs when dist-upgrading?

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
evilgoldy
Level 1
Level 1

how to handle bugs when dist-upgrading?

Postby evilgoldy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:05 pm

Today when I did dist-upgrade I was notified that one of the packages had an unsolved bug and was prompted with [y/n/?]
By selecting "?" I got a lot more options, of which two were somewhat confusing:

Code: Select all

y     - continue the apt installation, but do not make the bugs ignored
a     - continue the apt installation and make all the above bugs ignored

I chose second one thinking that it would skip bugged packages and install all the others, but it got installed anyway. I don't quite understand what "make the bugs ignored" means: does it ignore bugged packages or does it ignore the fact that package has bugs? Was the "y" right choice for what I wanted?

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Re: how to handle bugs when dist-upgrading?

Postby vincent » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:57 am

evilgoldy wrote:I don't quite understand what "make the bugs ignored" means: does it ignore bugged packages or does it ignore the fact that package has bugs?

The latter; you will no longer be notified from apt-listbugs about that particular bug in the future.

The right course of action would be to open up the bug report, e.g. from your browser (http://bugs.debian.org/######), read the entire report, and evaluate whether the bug affects/may affect you or not. You would then either press 'y' to continue with the upgrade as usual, or 'n' to stop APT and then see if you can find a fix/workaround for that bug; if not, hold the package, or set its pin-priority in /etc/apt/preferences to avoid upgrading the package as a temporary measure, and then run dist-upgrade to upgrade the rest of the packages that aren't affected by the buggy package.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

Return to “Archive”