[Solved] gmail rich text: all fonts same

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
analogue_G
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] gmail rich text: all fonts same

Postby analogue_G » Thu May 19, 2011 12:03 am

I noticed that while typing in the rich text editor in gmail, I could select a different font, but the font face remained the same. Actually the drop-down list showed all the font names listed with the same default font face. Strange. On a hunch, I downloaded the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package. Instantly (without restarting firefox), the fonts were now available. the drop down list now shows the font names in their own style. Is this a known dependency? If so, perhaps ttf-mscorefonts-installer should be a default package in LMDE?

Using Firefox 3.6.13

fixed.gif

I'll see if I can uninstall that package and show the problem I had before.
Last edited by analogue_G on Thu May 19, 2011 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

analogue_G
Level 1
Level 1

Re: gmail rich text: all fonts same

Postby analogue_G » Thu May 19, 2011 12:26 am

Investigation of rich text formatting in gmail and true type fonts (follow up):

First, I removed mscorefonts

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get purge ttf-mscorefonts-installer

after logout/login this is what I see in gmail. Notice the similar font face except "serif" and "courier new"
liberation_only.gif

Then I also removed liberation

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get purge ttf-liberation

after logout/login this is what I see in gmail. Notice the similar font face for all listed fonts.
broken.gif

So... I guess that the rich text in gmail depends on some true type fonts, and works correctly with mscorefonts. Are there any other true type font packages that work? I am not sure.

Return to “Archive”