[SOLVED] Update manager crash on LMDE Live DVD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
steve470

[SOLVED] Update manager crash on LMDE Live DVD

Post by steve470 »

I'm trying different distros from their live discs until I decide which I want to install. LMDE was looking great until I tried the update manager. I did the following:

- Upgraded mintupdate-debian from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 - no problems, update manager presented me with 420 recommended updates, totaling 415MB.

- Looked at "Update Pack info"; changed both debian addresses in /etc/apt/sources.list to debian.linuxmint.com/latest/....

- Refreshed update manager; was presented with 423 recommended updates, totaling 429MB. "Update Pack info" says "Your system is pointing to the 'Linux Mint Debian Latest' repository".

- Clicked "Install updates"; was presented with a "This upgrade will trigger additional changes" box (4 packages removed; 54 packages installed).

- Clicked "OK". Update manager immediately closed. The shield in the lower right corner was empty for a moment, then regained its blue i.

- Opened update manager again, and attempted to install (all updates, then various smaller combinations), with the same results.

- Went to terminal, ran "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade". After much readying to replace and unpacking, it aborted with many "No space left on device" errors. The end of the terminal window read: "No space left on device" "E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)"

- A low disk space box appeared. Clicking for details, it said that my disk size is 1.1GB, with 0 bytes available.

This occurred on two different computers (1TB, 4GB RAM; and 250GB, 1GB RAM) and with both the 32-bit and 64-bit DVDs.

Is this just a large installation not getting along with the Live DVD session (i.e., something that won't be a problem at all if I install LMDE), is there something I (computer intermediate, Linux n00b) can do to fix this, or do I need to settle for another distribution that I like less?

Many thanks,
Steve McClellan
Oil City, PA, USA
Last edited by steve470 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve470

Re: Update manager crash on LMDE Live DVD

Post by steve470 »

Gah, I knew I'd leave out some important bit of information. It's only the GNOME 32- and 64-bit that I've tried, and would prefer to stick with.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Is this just a large installation not getting along with the Live DVD session (i.e., something that won't be a problem at all if I install LMDE), is there something I (computer intermediate, Linux n00b) can do to fix this, or do I need to settle for another distribution that I like less?
This is because you're running from a dvd. You can update and install stuff as long as your ram will allow you but in the end it'll just be for this session. Try running it from a USB stick instead if you want to try it out further before you decide.
steve470

Post by steve470 »

Since that was my only gripe, I went ahead and installed LMDE, and the update works like a charm. Thanks!

Return to “LMDE Archive”