Cannot add languages or formats in the new LMDE 201403

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
Martificiam

Cannot add languages or formats in the new LMDE 201403

Postby Martificiam » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:53 pm

When I go to the regional settings and try to add new languages and formats nothing happens. I've therefore issued sudo dpkg-reconfigure locale and added my preferred languages. Then, I've edited the /etc/default/locale file like this:

Code: Select all

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME="lt_LT.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="lt_LT.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="lt_LT.UTF-8"

I'd like to use english as the system language, but use the lithuanian time and date format. After rebooting the computer it seems that it does indeed use the lt_LT charset for date and time, HOWEVER, the clock is still displayed in 12-hour format in the cinnamon panel. When I go to the date and time settings the time is shown in 24 hour format. How do I make the clock applet use the 24 hour format?

GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cannot add languages or formats in the new LMDE 201403

Postby GeneBenson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi Martificiam,

If you go to this site and scroll down to "A complete list of FORMAT control characters ..." you will find a list of all the characters you can use. For a 24 hour clock you want %R.

I'm not using Cinnamon but usually you can right click on an applet in the panel and choose "Properties". Then "Custom Format" and use whatever you want.

Hope this helps. :D

Martificiam

Re: Cannot add languages or formats in the new LMDE 201403

Postby Martificiam » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks, right clicking on the clock applet and selecting 'Configure...' displayed the custom date format option. I used the default, which was %A %B %e, %H:%M. It works perfectly. However, the bug in the regional settings still remains - formats and languages cannot be added.

Return to “Archive”