Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
popsad

Mint Debian

Post by popsad »

having used Mepis 7 Now since the beginning of the year and 6.5 prior to that i am very keen to try out Mint debian as i have found when running mepis that it was very stable although it used debian etch.

Even during the testing on mepis 7 because it was so good and reliable i ran it as my main distro, but now that i have been using Mint although only for a few days , i am very impressed with it, so if there is an installable version of mint debian i would certainly like to test it out, i am actually using it at this moment.Although from a live cd. :D

Mepis has given me problems running both ide and sata drives, mainly in the boot menu setup, but when i installed mint i had no problems even booted of the ide drive which mepis could not do for some reason.

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mint Debian

Post by Husse »

The Debian edition is a alpha (and Mint normally never release alphas) made to demonstrate that it is possible to "build Mint" on something other than Ubuntu. It was never intended to be installed, but a guy found it so interesting that he offered to make a Community Edition from it.
That's about where we are now
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=141
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Actually "that guy" disappeared shortly after he announced he would forge a beta of Debian Mint CE. To my knowledge, nobody has heard from him since. Further more, nobody else has taken up the mantle of the Debian Mint CE, though there is a lot of enthusiasm about a Debian flavored Linux Mint. Unless the community can pull together the talent and skills required; organize itself into an efficient team, Debian Mint CE is dead. My suggestion was to work with the Parsix Linux team because Parsix Linux is based on cutting edge Debian Testing but with a modern Gnome 2.20.3 desktop (Gnome is notoriously unstable in Debian Testing.) Parsix Linux most resembles Ubuntu, upon which Linux Mint is based. It's the most logical place to start but apparently I'm the only one who thinks so. Oh well.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

cmost, your idea about building off of Parsix is the best idea I have seen in this thread! Using Parsix as a base would solve a lot of potential problems.This approach would provide a stable base, be less resource hungry and fast!

I took at quick look on their forums and there are a few rough edges, it seems to need Network Manager configured. All in all it appears to be solid and might be the starting point the Mint Debian project needs to get off the ground.
It's the most logical place to start but apparently I'm the only one who thinks so
You are not the only one now! You have a very good idea!
Husse

Post by Husse »

hmm
Was it "Zonas" that started the Debian thing?
I think I've seen him contribute not long ago with some artwork...
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

It was Zonas. He may be contributing artwork but he unceremoniously left the Debina Mint discussion with nary a word! Rude! If he didn't intend to follow through he could have at least explained his reasons why or at the very least documented his work so that others could take over. In any case, he was a "go it alone" sort of guy. Debian Mint should not be run that way. If it's going to be a community edition that it needs to involve the community. No man is an island. As I've stated (and as others will agree) the interest in a Debian Mint CE is definitely there, however, the talent, skills and organization is not. Period. Without that, there can be no Debian Mint CE. It's really too bad.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@ Sundayrefugee
Since you and I seem the most enthusiastic about this project, what say you and I do what we can to make at least a workable beta for the community to play with. If we have you, we can borrow the more difficult elements from other distros (e.g., the installer, etc.) Let's communicate. PM me and we'll exchange information. I'm not as knowledgeable a Debian hacker as you, but I've been using Linux for over five years (mostly with Debian based distros.) I'm also an extremely fast learner and an excellent team player. Unless I miss my guess, once you and I release a working prototype, others in the community (or from other communities, perhaps even Parsix, DreamLinux, Mepis, etc.) will become excited and join the effort; a snowball effect with result. Let me know. Cheers!
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

I hope you 2 hook up I'd like to see it happen. :D
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
ranyardm

Post by ranyardm »

Okay.... very hesitant here....

I've been a maintainer on cAos (http://www.caosity.org) before, and my main reason for getting tired of the distro is because when you're a maintainer you can't just "use" the distro... if there's something missing you want, you feel obliged to package it.... and once you've done a lot of those, it becomes a larger and larger load just keeping the packages up to date.

All that said... I'm willing to join a team working on a debian mint edition largely because politically ubuntu has certain issues and it would be good to have a nicely polished debian for those who are political.

Hackerwise I'm intermediate, and I am a huge LinuxMint advocate (my mum uses it too!). A friend whos skills are more webby than mine is about to be a convert I do believe, but I know he enthused about debian testing when he did his last distro eval; he may become useful ;-)

Anyway, I am not very active in the community area but would be happy to sign up to help in the development of this bit.

--
Martyn Ranyard
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

...and then there were three! Welcome aboard. I agree with you that maintaining packages can become burdensome and that's why I would simply avoid doing it altogether. I would be inclined to Base Debian Mint on stock Debian Testing with Mint tools and a polished Gnome or KDE desktop on top. This will avoid having to compile and maintain scads of packages. This would also stop overzealous developers from straying too far from Debian proper (i.e., customizing Debian to the point that it becomes a fork; like Ubuntu.) If it ain't in Debian Testing, then let users compile it themselves if they want it bad enough. We could always have a community repository for packages that users donate. Anyway, I digress. I have yet to hear from Sundayrefugee as I requested, so I can't say for certain he's willing to assist with this. Meanwhile, I'm preparing to install Parsix on my laptop to get a feel for what will need to be done to Mintify Debian.
changturkey

Post by changturkey »

+1, I would really like this to be done.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

I've installed Parsix on my laptop and I'm now tediously looking to see how many degrees of separation exist between it and pure Debian Testing. As I've said, and I think most mint users would agree if they cared to test the theory, Parsix is close to what Debian Mint users want. It's Debian Testing with Parsix own tools and packages added to the mix. I see no reason why a "mintified" Debian couldn't be constructed in a similar fashion. Debian Testing, and custom mint tools, a few packages, and a mint installer thrown on top. I'm inclined to follow the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid. I'll keep you posted.
Fred

Post by Fred »

cmost,

Have you looked at sidux? It is KDE and based on sid. Another good candidate, for a KDE version.

Fred
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

@Fred I am well aware of Sidux, in fact I've used it on my workstation in the past. Sidux is based on Debian Unstable and requires a very (VERY) dedicated team of talented developers to turn something so unstable as Debian Sid into something usable day to day. Using Sidux as a base for Debian Mint would be out of the question for Debian Mint. Only Debian Testing would be manageable.
Fred

Post by Fred »

cmost,

Point taken. :-)

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

muskratmx,

There is no doubt in my mind that you and cmost are right and I was being overly optimistic.

I have only been using sidux for about a month; shortly after you called my attention to it. But I have had zero problems with breakage or anything else. I was just assuming the sidux developers were doing the heavy lifting as far as the update breakage was concerned. Then again, I might have just been lucky, with the sky ready to fall any second. :-)

Fred
Husse

Post by Husse »

Just a point - apart from everything else basing it on something as fast moving as Sidux and Debian unstable (or what ever it's called :)) will make support "living hell"
Fred

Post by Fred »

All very good points. I concede, I was wrong. I just wish I could say it was the first time. :-)

Fred
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Well guys, I fully evaluated Parsix on my laptop. I must say that it is an impressive distribution and the most "Ubuntu-like" pure Debian system I have tested to date. That being said, it does have problems. Firstly, Parsix does include a small assortment of its own custom tools (not dissimilar to Mint's own custom tools.) They are rudimentary and not as polished as Mint's but effective nonetheless. Secondly, Parsix does include a nice assortment of default applications; similar to Ubuntu's. The desktop is clean, concise and easy to navigate. Again, Ubuntu user's will feel right at home with the default panel placement. Personally, I dislike the default theming, which is a hideous cross between Ubuntu's human (icon) theme and Shift Linux's black GTK theming; all against a bright blue Apple Aqua wallpaper. I don't know who designed that default theme, but whatever they were smoking...I don't want any! I also encountered numerous problems with 'Ramon' which is Parsix's current, stable release. 'Ramon' utilizes a Parsix customized kernel 2.6.23 and Gnome 2.20. The upcoming release will be called 'Viola' and it utilizes a Parsix custom kernel 2.6.24 and contains the latest Gnome 2.22 as well as many of the enhancements touted by Ubuntu 8.04. I did encounter numerous problems with 'Ramon': No sound and no wireless. Common complaints from Linux users who use laptops (due to their highly proprietary nature.) Interestingly, while my sound card would not work in 'Ramon' it did work in 'Viola' (the wireless didn't work in either.) I think Viola will be the Parsix to watch! Nevertheless, I've wiped this distribution from my laptop and now I'm evaluating Ubuntu 8.04 beta before I move on to another Debian Testing distribution. :-)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Interesting evaluation, cmost. I justed wiped Hardy Beta from my hard drive! I just could not take all of the bugs I found very long. Each update to Hardy just seems to make it worse. The beta is full of extremely obvious bugs. I have reported bugs and added to many bug reports.

I will have another look when the RC comes out.

I would be interested in your opinion.

Return to “LMDE Archive”