Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Are you interested in Gnome3/Gnome-Shell?

I'm interested in running/testing G-S...
55%
I'll run Gnome3, but not the Shell
13%
I'm staying with Gnome2 for now
24%
What's Gnome3??????
7%

Total votes: 441

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Post by samriggs »

wow I didn't even realize ubuntu did that when I had it on my system for a day and a half, but I couldn't load my theme to test it, oh well another thing for ubuntu users to complain to me about with my themes :lol:
I give em your code there zero.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus
GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

zerozero wrote:from several comments in the blog, Clem's intention is not the fallback-mode, but a modded shell with several extensions enabled.
Thanks, I should read the other blogs. I have always intended to use the shell no matter what, good to know that is where we are all headed.
GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

zerozero wrote:
samriggs wrote:fallback mode [...] it sort of looks like gnome 2 but doesn't act like it and its sort of like gnome 3 but doesn't act like it, it's a very confused mode and doesn't quite know what it wants to be
:lol: best.description.ever 8)

craig, have faith :) i believe it's getting there
Surely Fallback mode must always exist in some form. Not all computers have the graphics punch to run Gnome-Shell. Unless they create a Shell 2D.
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

GregE, i won't be so sure about that, the devs (GNOME) always sayd that it would stay for now, later they would evaluate it; and you cn already run the shell with nouveau (i'm doing it on my sid install because of the xserver/nvidia mess), all you need is

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental

[ bliss of ignorance ]
mrjoeyman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrjoeyman »

zerozero wrote:GregE, i won't be so sure about that, the devs (GNOME) always sayd that it would stay for now, later they would evaluate it; and you cn already run the shell with nouveau (i'm doing it on my sid install because of the xserver/nvidia mess), all you need is

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental
Zero, would this allow my Intel Hd Graphics to utilize G3? or even the full potential of LMDE? Right now it doesn't play nice with my card on my laptop. Gnome3 works on Fedora on this same system. Thanks.
GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

@mrjoeyman

I have a Dell 11z with a CULV 1.3ghz dual core Celeron and Intel X4500 graphics and it runs LMDE and Gnome 3 without any problems. I have added the xorg stuff from experimental plus the file mentioned by zerozero and all the bits needed for WebGL. But it worked fine with the Intel drivers from Wheezy and LMDE. If you have a very new SandyBridge chipset you might need to dip into experimental and ensure you run at least a 3.0.0 kernel, but any Intel HD chipset should just work.

Zerozero, I guess we will have to wait and see whether they bow to pressure and keep fallback. Gnome Shell also works fine with open source drivers on ATI cards. I have an old Dell with a GMA500 chip and Fallback mode works, but Shell will never run with any of the current drivers (nor Unity). I even installed Gnome3 on a VIA Mini-ITX machine yesterday and Fallback mode actually works (slowly) with the OpenChrome driver. There is always Xfce4 for the old machines.
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

mrjoeyman wrote:
If anyone wants screenshots to clarify what I'm talking about I can probably get some. I can compare Mint Debian before and after updating GTK to 3.2, as well as comparing to Ubuntu 11.10 with GTK 3.2.
Me! :mrgreen:
Alright, I'll whip some up shortly, just as soon as my network connection starts cooperating so I can get things done...

EDIT: During my screenshot gathering I discovered that the issue I was having with the notification popups wasn't a result of GTK 3.2, as it seems to exist even without having updated to GTK 3.2. Now I'm unsure as to what I updated that broke that particular feature... I'll need to revert to my backup to ensure that it's not showing the same problem, and try to narrow down what packages is causing that particular issue.

EDIT #2: I've narrowed it down to libgjs0b version 1.30.0-1 causing the issue with the notification popups. Still working on getting the last screenshot, then I'll compile them into a nice comparison image.

EDIT #3: Alright, I've compiled two images comparing the notifications and Nautilus between LMDE before gjs and GTK updates and after, as well as to Ubuntu 11.10.

Notifications:
Notification comparison
Notification comparison
Notification Comparison.png (82.3 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
Nautilus:
Nautilus comparison
Nautilus comparison
Nautilus Comparison.png (127.71 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
I've pinned both GTK and gjs to their testing versions for the time being, hopefully those problems will be resolved once GNOME 3.2 fully enters experimental.
Linux Mint user since 2010, fluffy dragon forever!
Registered Linux User #473695
autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

OK!!!! It's FINALLY started. Gnome-Shell 3.2 just came in about a half-hour ago in Experimental---I've got it up..no Gnome-Tweak-Tool yet & several other things that make it work right, but it is coming..... Missing everything in Applications (in the overlay) right now due to missing depends & of course I've gone back to the default look due to the User-Theme-extension not being enabled. So stay tuned for updates...... :D
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (138.09 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
"Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favorite lines from AVATAR :)
Linux User# 395230
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

Oh goodie, it's about time GNOME Shell 3.2 shows up, I'm going to have fun today...

I suspect the extensions from this PPA (https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/testing) should work without a problem, I'm using a couple of them on my (unofficial) Mint 12 GNOME Shell setup and they work fine there, and they are all JavaScript anyway so they shouldn't rely on anything Ubuntu-specific... I'll get everything updated here and check it out myself shortly.
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GeneC »

Copied this post from another thread.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 27#p489127
karashata wrote:To further proxima-centauri's comment about Zukitwo, yes it's a very nice GTK2/GTK3 compatible theme, however it (currently) requires GTK3.2 and version 1.0.1 of the Unico GTK3 engine from Ubuntu, making it somewhat impractical for LMDE users to download and install it.

That said, there is an older version of Unico that is compatible with LMDE (0.1.0 r69).

32-bit: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/73692261/ ... 1_i386.deb
64-bit: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/73692259/ ... _amd64.deb
karashata

I finally got your Zukitwo themes to work on 'LMDE-SID-Gnome3.0'. The Unico GTK3 engine you gave a link to, plus 'libgtk-3-0 ver. 3.2.1-1' from experimental let them work. Very nice themes. Thanks.
GeneC
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

Updated everything I could, only package held back is gnome-desktop3-data, Ricotz GNOME Shell testing PPA extensions work, GNOME Tweak Tool borrowed from Ubuntu 11.10 works (is required to enable extensions), Mint 12 MGSE extensions work, only issue I see currently is Nautilus still has a grey background in the browser pane but that may be corrected once it's updated to a newer version. I'm excited now!

Screenshot:

Oh, I can hardly wait for the rest of GNOME 3.2 to enter experimental now...
autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

Yes!!!! I do hate to mix sources---but in this CASE....no Gnome-Tweak-Tool was getting on my nerves...So I did the same as you did without any adverse Ubuntu-effects :lol:
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (161.82 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
"Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favorite lines from AVATAR :)
Linux User# 395230
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

I gotta ask, where did you get that weather extension from? I wouldn't mind having that...
autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

It's from webupd8--- http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/gn ... ol/main/g/

I do miss FPMurphy's weather app though....make sure you get the the Yahoo geolocation address & put it in the address --just hit enter afterwards...

Have you found a "move Clock" extension yet?? I HATE having it in the centre...needs to be on the right...
Linux User# 395230
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

Thanks! I'll remember to do that.
autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

karashata wrote:Thanks! I'll remember to do that.
Damm...I'm a bit off today...geolocation goes in: WOEID :oops:
Linux User# 395230
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

Would you believe it's already there..? I must have the schema file for the weather extension already installed and properly configured... How handy!
autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

Very nice!!! I think that it was the same as the old vememo.net extension.... At least that's where I had set my geolocation.....

Now I need to see if my weather icons can be used........................
Linux User# 395230
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by michaelzap »

I still see a fair amount of red and orange here, including Nautilus. But you folks are finding GNOME Shell from Debian Experimental stable now? I'm still thinking that maybe I should wait another week or so...
autocrosser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autocrosser »

Yep....Yellow means that it is in Experimental....Gnome-Tweak-Tool was updated this morning (Pacific-time) & it's really looking GOLDEN!!!!! :D
Linux User# 395230

Return to “LMDE Archive”