Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Are you interested in Gnome3/Gnome-Shell?

I'm interested in running/testing G-S...
55%
I'll run Gnome3, but not the Shell
13%
I'm staying with Gnome2 for now
24%
What's Gnome3??????
7%

Total votes: 441

rufong
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Gnome3 for the experienced (FUN Stuff!!!)

Post by rufong »

zerozero wrote:i've been playing with oneiric for the last few days
me too! lotza fun, i'm strugglin with gettin the touchscreen to work,
but hey, easy is SO boring right? hehe
GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

The Webupd8 guys have done a great job of packaging 3.2 extensions for Ubuntu 11.10. Just activate the repo in sources.list and then install them like any other package. Tweak Tool to turn them on and off. It is too easy. Only thing is I found you have to restart the shell after installing an extension before it appears in the list. But once in the list you can toggle them on and off at will. Same thing for theme manager - add as many as you want and switch through them. I think that the Shell probably works smoother after a theme change if you restart the shell, but that might just be imagination. The weather app has a configuration menu, all you need is a Yahoo weather code for your location.

Next step is to get a working LMDE Gnome 3.2 and try the repo. I will experiment with my notebook as soon as I have 3.2 and see what happens. It will require a working tweak-tool.

:)
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

I took some time the other day to tackle something I've been thinking about for a while... I really like the Shiki Colors themes and was disappointed when they didn't have GTK3 compatibility, so I went and cobbled together a GTK3 theme for them. I borrowed bits and pieces from Zukitwo and Ambiance Blue and tweaked it until it matched as near as I could get it to the Shiki Colors GTK2 theme. Given that I used the latest version of Zukitwo as part of the base, it does depend on the latest Unico theme engine and GTK3.2, so only people who are running GNOME 3.2 will be able to use it.

Unfortunately I don't currently have access to the 'net with my personal computer (I'm posting this from one of the library's public access computers) so I can't upload the theme or post some screenshots for you all to look at, but I figured I'd mention it and see if anyone would be interested to see what I've done and possibly polish the theme a little better than I did (it's pretty rough, and could probably be cleaned up a little...).

EDIT: I just realized, I could grab some screenshots and the packaged themes and put them on a flash drive I can plug into the library's computers easily enough, assuming I still won't be able to access the 'net with my own computer for a little while... If there's any interest, I'll have that ready for tomorrow and I'll post some screenshots either way.
Linux Mint user since 2010, fluffy dragon forever!
Registered Linux User #473695
stz*j
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stz*j »

Hi, I've been using the debian sid/experimental repos to try out gnome3+shell but an update broke my gnome-tweak-tool! :( Output from terminal is as follows:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/gnome-tweak-tool", line 26, in <module>
    from gtweak.tweakmodel import TweakModel
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtweak/tweakmodel.py", line 26, in <module>
    TWEAK_GROUP_FONTS = _("Fonts")
NameError: name '_' is not defined
Any one having the same problem who can give suggestions? It's really stopping me from trying out all those cool new extensions!!! More info of the problem at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=640467

Yeah, probably have to wait till the dependency issue gets resolved but I'm wondering if there's some way to get a somewhat functional tweak tool at the moment. I've been tempted to use those ubuntu ppas for a while now, seems much easier actually. but experimental is so much fun in a way. :lol:
LMDE (Release 1), tracking debian testing, Kernel 3.14.1-686-pae i686 (32 bit), MATE & Enlightenment;
Plays (and rescues system) with experimental and sid repos on another partition with Cinnamon & Gnome3, if grub boots nice that is.
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

The Gnome Tweak Tool package from the GNOME 3 PPA I've been using for a while that is compatible with GNOME 3 from Debian's repos does not work either, same error message. As far as I know, Debian does not currently meet the dependency requirements for GNOME 3.2 from Ubuntu sources, unless you know of a PPA building GNOME 3.2 for Natty (I am not aware of any myself though). I suspect you're going to have to sit back and wait for the issue to be resolved.
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

I've got some screenshots of my GTK3 version of Shiki-Colors, for anyone that might be interested:

Shiki-Brave

Shiki-Dust

Shiki-Human

Shiki-Illustrious

Just to give you an idea of how it looks with a few different themes... Banshee is still a GTK2 application even in GNOME 3.2 so it's there to compare the GTK3 themed apps (Tweak Tool and Nautilus) with the GTK2 theme.

I've also packaged them up in case anyone wants to use them (the package also includes the GTK2 themes):
Shiki-Colors-GTK3.tar.gz
Shiki-Colors GTK3 (and GTK2) themes.
(122.35 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
I might do some more polishing and tweaking of the theme if I find anything that could be done better, or if I find myself with too much free time and nothing else to do, but for now this is what I have and it seems to work fairly nicely and looks fairly decent.
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

karashata 8) great great work reviving Shiki
i might actually use them, they look very cOOl

p.s. the only thing (if possible :D ) would be some more love to the gtk2 scrollbars

[ bliss of ignorance ]
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

I'm not entirely sure I can get the scrollbars to match exactly, and I don't really understand the CSS code that well yet that I think I could even get them sort of similar. All I did was piece the theme together from two existing themes and made tweaks to color it nearly identically (as much as I can tell anyway) to Shiki-Colors.

I did clean up the code a little bit (fixing alignment and replacing some unnecessary gradients with color instead since the gradient was from color to the same color anyway... Also replaced one wrong gtk.css file with the correct one...), but other than that I think I've done as much as I can for now, until perhaps I can figure out the CSS and what everything does...

Here's the updated theme package with the cleaned-up code and the replaced gtk.css file:
Shiki-Colors-GTK3.tar.gz
Fixed Shiki-Colors GTK3 theme package
(121.77 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
If anyone who has a better understanding of GTK3 theme design wants to make any refinements and possibly make the GTK3 theme somewhat more similar to the GTK2 theme than I've managed to achieve, I certainly wouldn't mind.

EDIT: Apparently Zukitwo has been updated more recently than the version I had been working with for my GTK3 version of Shiki and the Zukitwo-Colors themes I was attempting. I'll have to take a look and see what's all changed and rebuild my themes from the new base, hopefully all goes well and I don't have to dig too far to make them work. I'm not sure I'm going to try to continue work on Shiki, but I will definitely try to make Zukitwo colorful like Shiki was, since it's a fairly nice theme and would go fairly nicely with the gnome-colors icon sets if it was colored to match.
GregE
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GregE »

stz*j wrote:Hi, I've been using the debian sid/experimental repos to try out gnome3+shell but an update broke my gnome-tweak-tool! :( Output from terminal is as follows:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/gnome-tweak-tool", line 26, in <module>
    from gtweak.tweakmodel import TweakModel
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtweak/tweakmodel.py", line 26, in <module>
    TWEAK_GROUP_FONTS = _("Fonts")
NameError: name '_' is not defined
Any one having the same problem who can give suggestions? It's really stopping me from trying out all those cool new extensions!!! More info of the problem at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=640467

Yeah, probably have to wait till the dependency issue gets resolved but I'm wondering if there's some way to get a somewhat functional tweak tool at the moment. I've been tempted to use those ubuntu ppas for a while now, seems much easier actually. but experimental is so much fun in a way. :lol:
Tweak Tool was just updated in Experimental, but it still does not work for me. The problem is in Python versions (I think).

If you have a spare partition or machine you can install Ubuntu 11.10, open a terminal and "sudo apt-get install gnome-shell". No PPAs required. Add Tweak Tool and the extensions PPA and you will have a fully functional Gnome 3.2 to experiment with and a working Tweak Tool complete with theme changer.
stz*j
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stz*j »

@karashata, Is the PPA really compatible with debian? I think I heard somewhere that the extensions are all css tweaks so they should fit in fine or something. But I wasn't so sure about the dependencies bit, coz I'm worried they might break y'know.

@Greg, Yeah, update didn't seem to fix the python issues, still getting the same errors. A bit lazy to set-up another gnome-shell partition, I'm already using a seperate partition from my lmde testing install! Even lazier to compile using jhbuild! :lol: Tried that when gnome 3.0 came out and I never really got to solve all the errors for some reason... Too bad though, would have loved using it in sandbox mode on my lmde testing partition :D
LMDE (Release 1), tracking debian testing, Kernel 3.14.1-686-pae i686 (32 bit), MATE & Enlightenment;
Plays (and rescues system) with experimental and sid repos on another partition with Cinnamon & Gnome3, if grub boots nice that is.
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

I have a handful of packages beyond just the extensions installed and everything seems to be working fine... Most of the packages in that PPA are already the same version in Debian's repo (minus any Ubuntu-specific tweaks) so I just left those alone, and I do believe a couple newer packages in the Ubuntu PPA do have missing dependencies so I just left those alone as well. Either way though, specific to your issue with GNOME Tweak Tool, the version in the PPA has the same issue as the Debian supplied version, so while it is newer and installs fine on a Debian system, it's still not a fix for the problem. That was really the point I was trying to get across.
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GeneC »

I have been running LMDE (64bit) tracking SID, with Nvidia and this weekend Gnome 3 (3.0.2) was installed in a full DU.
Everything works fine, but cant load the "Shell"?
I can only load the "Fallback Mode".
Can anyone suggest what I can try, or perhaps just wait for updates?

gene@zordon ~ $ inxi -F
System:    Host zordon Kernel 3.0.0-6.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
CPU:       Quad core AMD Phenom II X4 955 (-MCP-) cache 2048 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips 25718.7 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 3200.00 MHz (2) 800.00 MHz (3) 800.00 MHz (4) 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card nVidia GF104 [GeForce GTX 460] X.Org 1.11.1.901 Res: 1680x1050@50.0hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce GTX 460/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 4.2.0 NVIDIA 285.05.09 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card-1 ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 nVidia GF104 High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel BusID: 01:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Network:   Card Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI at port e800 BusID: 04:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 322.0GB (3.8% used) 1: /dev/sda ST3320613AS 320.1GB 
           2: USB /dev/sde CardReader_SD 2.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 17G used: 4.7G (31%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 0.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 35.0C mobo: 40.0C gpu: 0.0:48C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 900 sys-1: 1126 
Info:      Processes 158 Uptime 1 min Memory 326.7/5985.3MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23 

Active sources list

inxi -r
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free #"Debian Security"
           deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main non-free #"SID Multimedia"
           deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free #"SID"
           deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main #"Liquorix"
           deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport romeo
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
           deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main #"Chrome"
Last edited by GeneC on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gavinhc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gavinhc »

Gene, my guess is that there are some packages required for Gnome-Shell to run properly that still reside in experimental. The only proof I have for this speculation is that I am running a Gnome3 system I cobbled together a few weeks ago using pieces from experimental and unstable before pointing my repos back at testing. This weekend, after the new Gnome3 packages entered unstable, I reactivated experimental and unstable, giving Sid a higher priority, and updated all the Gnome3 components. My Shell appears to still be working same as it did before the update, so it isn't an issue with the G-S package in unstable.

My only other thought would be that your graphics can't handle the Shell, since some previous attempts to run G-S with an Nvidia 7900 using the nouveau drivers always kicked me to fallback mode, but from your inxi output it appears you are using the proprietary drivers with a much beefier card than my own.
AMD Athlon II X4 630, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia GeForce GT 430 - 64-bit LMDE (Gnome3) tracking testing, 64-bit Archlinux, 32-bit Windows XP
Aluminum Unibody MacBook - MacOS X 10.7 "Lion"
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

[SOLVED] Can't get shell to load.

Post by GeneC »

Hey gavinhc

I was thinking the same, that there were some packages in Experimental, that I needed. I took a peak, and could not readily identify them. There was nothing I had installed that was obviously Gnome 3 related, and up-gradable. Probably some dependency. :?: Or something not yet even installed.

Not a problem with graphics, as I am running Oneric on another partition with the shell functioning properly.

I should be patient and wait... :lol:
But, I will invenstigate more...

Thanks. :wink:

=======================================
[SOLVED] :D

I found that to get the shell to work, I had to turn off "COMPIZ" in Startup-Applications.
That's it! Shell works fine, and is very nice...
Last edited by GeneC on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

Well, over the weekend I had some fun.

I present Zukitwo-Colors:

Zukitwo-Brave

Zukitwo-Dust

Zukitwo-Human

Zukitwo-Illustrious

Since this theme is based on Zukitwo it will require GTK 3.2 and Unico 1.0.1 in order to work for GTK3 applications.

The theme package has been updated, please look two posts down to find it.

That all said, enjoy!
Last edited by karashata on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbowman57
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cbowman57 »

@karashata, good work, they look good.
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

@cbowman57 Thanks! I did really miss the Shiki-Colors themes but now that I've made these, I don't miss them so much.

I took a few minutes to compare the updated Zukitwo theme to my modified version (the diff command is useful...) and thankfully there weren't *too* many changes to make, so I went ahead and made them.

I'm thinking of posting this to gnome-look.org, but I wouldn't mind a little feedback from anyone here who chooses to use it first before I do, in case there are any tweaks anyone thinks I might need to make...

EDIT: I made a few more tweaks to the theme to make the window control buttons fit the window frame colors a little better.

EDIT #2: Fixed the treeview colors.

EDIT #3: Tweaked the sidebar colors slightly so they're a little lighter. Here's the update... again...:
Zukitwo-Colors.tar.gz
Zukitwo-Colors GTK3 and GTK2 themes, current as of Oct. 17, 2011
(500.41 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Hopefully that's the last tweak I need to make...
rufong
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rufong »

geez,
my timeline is kubuntu,ubu,kubu,#!,peppermint,LMDE[still running]
and now oneiric with GS on my new tablet[still configuring].
after running LMDE since it was released ubu is so MESSY.
i mean the sources.list?? ppa's needed for functionality, BLEH!

i Really look forward to clem's version of GS..gonna be Great,
and then GS on LMDE..
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

Zukitwo's been updated recently, so I've updated Zukitwo-Colors to apply the changes. I've also reverted some of my code back to the Zukitwo-Dark code since it's been updated with dark menus and there isn't much point in altering the base code too much... only makes applying updates harder...

I've opened a new topic about it here.
karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

Good news! GNOME Tweak Tool works in LMDE again after a few updates today from Debian experimental.

I believe these to be the updates that fixed it:

libgirepository-1.0-1 - 1.30.0-2
python-gobject 3.0.1-1
python-gobject-cairo 3.0.1-1

I hope those are the right packages, and I hope they fix GNOME Tweak Tool for any other LMDE GNOME 3 users.

Return to “LMDE Archive”