Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

LM 12 RC Observations

Post by Jesse654 »

Here are some issues/observations I ran into when testing
Linux Mint 12 RC 64-bit DVD (Gnome), installed via USB.

Nothing earth-shattering but if anyone sees any of these as real bugs that need to be reported, please let me know, and I'd be glad to report them on launchpad.

This post deals with the default MGSE settings.

System:
proc: AMD Phenom X3 8450 / 2.10GHz
mobo: MSI K9N2GM
video chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 8200/PCI/SSE2
sound chipset: Realtek ALC888
mem: 4 gig DDR2-800

===

Time from boot to ready (from turning on the box to ready; ready means after login, when system is ready for work):
1:06 - 1:16 (almost the same as LM 9)
(This is after NVIDIA driver was installed, if that's relevant.)
This includes 0:34 - 0:36 of black screen between grub and login screens.

Time to shutdown (from clicking "Shut Down...." to box turning off):
0:17 - 0:22 (LM 9 is only 0:07)

---

Reported memory usage:

At startup with only System Monitor and terminal running:
System Monitor: 444 - 458 MiB
CLI "free -m": 845 - 859 meg used

(If I recall correctly, System Monitor at 444 MiB is the same mem usage as KDE 64-bit at rest.)

With several applications running:
System Monitor: 954 MiB
CLI "free -m": 1897 meg used

===

Had to boot with "nomodeset" on kernel boot line, of course, since I have NVIDIA chipset (GeForce 8200). This is surely a PITN, but, after several installs, I'm used to it.

---

Had to update grub with "gksu gedit /etc/default/grub" to include "nomodeset" by default:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
then:
sudo update-grub

---

System Settings | Displays still runs after the NVIDIA driver is installed and does not ask to start the NVIDIA X Server Settings program. (It does on LM 9.)

===

I didn't see the lower-panel Mint menu until after I installed the proprietary video driver. I'm guessing this is normal behavior, but it was initially confusing.

===

"gksu gedit /etc/default/grub" worked, but gave command line warnings:

<<<
(gedit:4175): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:4175): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.YDA14V': No such file or directory

(gedit:4175): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory
>>>

Interestingly, gedit also started with an unsaved, "Untitled Document." I probably would not even have noticed, but it naturally asked me what to do with this unsaved doc when I was exiting.

---

"gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub" worked, but gave command line warnings:

<<<
(gedit:4193): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.PZD64V': No such file or directory

(gedit:4193): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory
>>>

===

When running Update Manager the first time after install, after mintUpdate downloaded, got:

<<<
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
>>>

Then list of new updates was shown, and I was able to accept them as usual.
So except for the error msg, no problem.

After two days with multiple reboots, Update Manager icon still showed a check mark. After activating it and putting in my password, it showed 3 updates pending. At this point the Update Manager icon changed to an "i" icon.

===

System Settings | Screen has limited options:
1 minute
2 minutes
3 minutes
5 minutes
10 minutes
30 minutes
1 hour
Never

This is a restrictive design based on the inexperience and ignorance of 20 years ago. Literally, this sort of design is 20 years old. I'm sure this is Gnome 3-based and not Mint, but, come on, Gnome, this is the 21st century!

If I were to use this system as my main work system, this would be totally unacceptable. Since I'm just testing this distro to help Mint, I really don't care. It might not even be worth it for Mint to change it; ie, don't change it unless real users really want it.

===

No OOTB sound (Realtek ALC888)--problem since about Ubuntu 8.10.

===

When setting up keyboard shortcuts, I found it disturbing that I couldn't get the command line info for programs by right-clicking on a program option from the Mint menu. I'm guessing that this will change if the previous Mint menu is ported over to Gnome 3.

===

Not being able to grab and pull the thumb on the scroll bar in the Mint menu is disturbing. I know someone else commented on this one too.

===

When I first went to System Tools | System Settings | Appearance, the theme was blank. Just clicking on the list box selected Adwaita, and some (not all) scrollbars turned blue. Afterwards no "blank" theme was selectable.

As yet, I have not tried Mint Menu | Advanced Settings | Theme options.

===

Nautilus 3.2.1 apparently does not respect the permission bits from other partitions. I was able to copy files to/from directories without group/other permissions. I'm assuming it's running in root mode or has a bug. Actually this helped a little as I was tweaking LM12. :)

===

I don't see a point to the notification that comes up bottom-center when I open another partition in Nautilus.

===

I'll have to report this issue on Launchpad:

Minimizing a window should put that window at the end of the window list:
Let's say I have 3 windows open, all non-minimized, and I can switch between window 1 and window 2 with a single Alt-Tab. At that point, if I minimize one of them, say window 2, focus should switch to window 1 (it does), and an immediate, single Alt-Tab should switch to window 3. Right now, that Alt-Tab switches back to minimized window 2.

===

A lot of talk has been about icons and placing them on the desktop/panels. Just wanted to chime in saying I usually prefer shortcut keys: See Mint Menu | System Tools | System Settings | Keyboard | Shortcuts tab | Custom Shortcuts. It works just fine.

===

At least once, my mouse went over the infinity symbol accidentally and the result was disconcerting. If this is rare, then no problem.

===

I *love* black backgrounds--especially with non-white foreground text. Bright green and bright cyan (blue-green) seem to work best. (I know that a lot of people, probably most, do not like dark backgrounds--to each his own.) So seeing the Mint Menu with a black background is truly welcome!

===

changing the number of MRU files in gedit with:
gconftool-2 -t int -s /apps/gedit-2/preferences/ui/recents/max_recents 48
did not work. Since the "%gconf.xml" file looks right, I'm guessing this issue may be resolved when I look at the MATE side of LM 12. If not, I'll report it on Launchpad.

===

mads
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LM 12 RC Observations

Post by mads »

Jesse654 wrote:Here are some issues/observations I ran into when testing
Linux Mint 12 RC 64-bit DVD (Gnome), installed via USB.

===

"gksu gedit /etc/default/grub" worked, but gave command line warnings:

<<<

(gedit:4175): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.YDA14V': No such file or directory

>>>

---

"gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub" worked, but gave command line warnings:

<<<
(gedit:4193): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.PZD64V': No such file or directory

(gedit:4193): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory
>>>
===
Resolution:

$ sudo mkdir /root/.local
$ sudo mkdir /root/.local/share

OR

$ sudo mkdir -p /root/.local/share

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 »

That fixed it. Thanks, mads!

I'm wondering--do the permissions for /root/.local and /root/.local/share need to be (should they be) restrictive? They have group and other permissions. Should I chmod 0700 on them? I ask because most of the other files/dirs in the /root dir have such permissions, but /root itself seems to be protected anyway (having only user permissions).

mads
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mads »

Jesse654 wrote:I'm wondering--do the permissions for /root/.local and /root/.local/share need to be (should they be) restrictive? They have group and other permissions. Should I chmod 0700 on them?
No, it is not necessary.
Jesse654 wrote:When I first went to System Tools | System Settings | Appearance, the theme was blank. Just clicking on the list box selected Adwaita, and some (not all) scrollbars turned blue. Afterwards no "blank" theme was selectable.
Exactly the same thing happened to me. :mrgreen:

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 »

mads wrote:
Jesse654 wrote:When I first went to System Tools | System Settings | Appearance, the theme was blank. Just clicking on the list box selected Adwaita, and some (not all) scrollbars turned blue. Afterwards no "blank" theme was selectable.
Exactly the same thing happened to me. :mrgreen:
Ok, so it wasn't hypnagogic regression (a flashback). Oh, those blue scrollbar blues! :)

mads
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mads »

Jesse654 wrote:Ok, so it wasn't hypnagogic regression (a flashback). Oh, those blue scrollbar blues! :)
:lol:
There are more of us around. Check out this thread.

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Afterwards no "blank" theme was selectable.
Looks like the old trap is still working. :D
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=86299

That thread is about Gnome Classic, but IIRC the steps to solve the problem are the same in the Gnome Shell session.

Return to “Others”