[SOLVED] is there a way to rearrange extension placement?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gorellana09
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] is there a way to rearrange extension placement?

Post by gorellana09 »

Hello all, another newbie question. I am OCD and I just need things to be in logical order or I go nuts. Is there a way to arrange where on the top panel the gnome extensions will show up? During RC when turning off the bottom panel the arrangement was good and logical where the gnome infinity thing would stay on the left side to the right of the mint menu. Now it doesn't, it moves completely to the right and my clock moves next to it. To me this is very illogical everything on the right side should stay where it is in the default and the infinity thing should be on the left right next to the mint menu. Is there a way to move these around? I hope so because this is the type of thing that drives me nuts to the point where I will need to go back to Mint 11. :D
Last edited by gorellana09 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: is there a way to rearrange extension placement?

Post by richyrich »

This may help ? (section 2?)
Mint 12 Tips & Tricks Guide (updated Dec 1)

gorellana09
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gorellana09 »

Thanks richyrich for your reply. Although that link did not have a solution it did help me with where to start looking, so I found where I could make my own tweak. Not sure if it is the only way to go but it works for me.

Here is what I did for any other insane OCD people out there like me who are driven nuts by illogical order of things :)

1. Open the extension.js file of the offending extension, in this case it is the menu extension:

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/menu@linuxmint.com/extension.js
2. Edit the extension.js file by commenting out the following:

/*  if (!bottomPosition) {
        // Move Activities button to the right and change its label
        Main.panel._leftBox.remove_actor(activitiesButton.actor);
        Main.panel._rightBox.insert_actor(activitiesButton.actor, Main.panel._rightBox.get_children().length);
        activitiesButton._label.set_text("-");
    } */
Comment out by adding (/* and */). I guess you can also delete the entire thing but this is safer.

3. Save the edits and reload the gnome shell with alt+f2 then r and enter.

Now you have a success! Now things are in a more logical order.
Attachments
How it looks once tweaked in a more logical order.
How it looks once tweaked in a more logical order.
Screenshot1.jpg (4.26 KiB) Viewed 4031 times
how it looks when it is in default, very illogical order
how it looks when it is in default, very illogical order
Screenshot.jpg (8.8 KiB) Viewed 4031 times

inkheart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by inkheart »

gorellana09 wrote:Thanks richyrich for your reply. Although that link did not have a solution it did help me with where to start looking, so I found where I could make my own tweak. Not sure if it is the only way to go but it works for me.

Here is what I did for any other insane OCD people out there like me who are driven nuts by illogical order of things :)

1. Open the extension.js file of the offending extension, in this case it is the menu extension:

Main.panel._rightBox.insert_actor(activitiesButton.actor, Main.panel._rightBox.get_children().length);
    } */
Comment out by adding (/* and */). I guess you can also delete the entire thing but this is safer.

Thanks for this! It was bugging me a lot, especially since I kept clicking on the infinity sign by mistake everytime I wanted the shutdown menu :)
What I'm crazy about aside from Linux

Dell Inspiron 1427 / Processor: 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz x 2 / Memory: 3.9 GiB / Operating System: Linux Mint 12 64-bit / Graphics: GeForce 9300M GS/PCI/SSE2

crispata
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] is there a way to rearrange extension placement

Post by crispata »

Thanks, you have inspired me to try to get rid of the infinity button (activities button) which I've not seen much reason for since dumping the bottom panel and moving the mgse menu to the top. (Because having both seems redundant.)

Note for anyone who doesn't want to get rid of it -- Just FYI I've been using the "Mint-Z Improved" theme from http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=147059 Among other things, it changes the infinity symbol into a Linux Mint logo.

Anyhow, I was hoping that my little edit below wouldn't also kill the upper left hotcorner, but it does get rid of the hotcorner. For me this isn't a problem, as I almost always access the activities view using the Super key. (Which still works.)

It was easier than I expected.

Same block of code that you were working on

if (!bottomPosition) {
    }
I just replaced it with this, hoping that the remove_actor line did what it sounded like it should do (and it did).

if (!bottomPosition) {
        // Remove Activities button
    }

gazzaf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gazzaf »

gorellana09 wrote:Thanks richyrich for your reply. Although that link did not have a solution it did help me with where to start looking, so I found where I could make my own tweak. Not sure if it is the only way to go but it works for me.

} */

Thanks for that - it looks better that way ! Can I ask you which applet it is that you have displaying weather info on your screen shots ?
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs - Maybe you haven't realised the scale of the problem !

gorellana09
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gorellana09 »

gazzaf wrote:

} */

Thanks for that - it looks better that way ! Can I ask you which applet it is that you have displaying weather info on your screen shots ?
Hey gazzaf, sorry for late reply for some reason I am not getting on email notifications of my forum subscriptions. I am using the extension from webupd8. You can install it by doing the following from command line.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/gnome3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-extensions-weather

Return to “Others”