[Solved] Gnome 3 wont start after extensions install

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Infra
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Gnome 3 wont start after extensions install

Post by Infra »

Hello , I'm new to Linux but slowly learning my way. I installed Mint 12 two days ago and started tweaking it for power ( running on laptop ) , user interface , etc . Usually when I bump into some problem a quick Google search would resolve it but I couldnt find any info on this particular one.
So after installing themes and overall customizing Gnome 3 the way it suits me I found this website https://extensions.gnome.org/ and went into extension installing spree and everything was ok for 5 minutes . After that both top and bottom gnome 3 panels flashed for 1 second and just disappeared . I thought a restart would fix it but alas the same thing happened - quick flash on both panels and they are nowhere to be found , no keyboard shortcuts , the only way to open terminal is to right click desktop and start it from there and after a while using it the OS would just hang needing a restart . I could open the file explorer and navigate with it though. I don't know how to describe it better , but I'm sure its the extensions that are causing this problem. I can't open the advanced gnome tweak tool because there is no menu ( no idea what the terminal command is ) to disable them. I'm hoping that there is a fix that does not involve reinstalling the whole OS from scratch.

P.S I'm running on 64 bit Linux mint 12.I noticed the above described problem on somewhat fresh install - It would flash , disappear and then reappear - simillar to when you kill explorer.exe in WIndows , however this time its not reappearing.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Infra on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
lurkatron
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Gnome 3 wont start after extensions install

Post by lurkatron »

i had my desktop freeze if i installed more than one extension that does the same thing, for example 2 bottom panel extensions (the one that comes with mint and thte one on the extensions site) i also had a problem with mint media player extension and a problem with having more than one app menu extension. so if i were you i would try to go over your extensions and disable them (by typing gnome-tweak-tool in terminal)

also ive found that some extensions interfer even if disabled, and the only way i found to get rid of that problem was to selectively delete extensions in /home/USERNAME/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions

you can probably do this by chosing something other than 'gnome' on the login screen, theres a 'gnome classic' or whatever its called which should let you carry out these operations
Infra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Infra »

After typing gnome-tweak-tool in terminal I got to the advanced gnome options but the shell extension section contained no options at all ( also shell theme was greyed out ) . About /home/USERNAME/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions I cant seem to have such a folder in my home folder - just pictures , music etc . Seems something obvious but I' missing i :mrgreen: t and feeling stupid.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I found this website https://extensions.gnome.org/ and went into extension installing spree
Well... seems like the next step after that website should be a full-fledged extension management system with conflict detection, dependency resolving, etc etc. :D
Infra wrote:After typing gnome-tweak-tool in terminal I got to the advanced gnome options but the shell extension section contained no options at all ( also shell theme was greyed out )
Something like this? http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=87229
Check if you're trying to run it in Gnome Shell and not in Gnome Classic/Fallback mode.
Infra wrote:About /home/USERNAME/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions I cant seem to have such a folder in my home folder - just pictures , music etc .
If you're trying to get there using Nautilus (the file manager), press Ctrl-H to see the hidden directories (those starting with a dot). :)
Infra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Infra »

Thank you ! Never would of guessed hidden files and the cltr+h thing. Anyway went into /home/USERNAME/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions and deleted everything , booted and voila - it works . Now I have to start installing extensions one by one and see which one breaks it. The thread you linked - yes exactly like that except I was in the gnomeshell and alt+f2 did nothing so I couldnt restart it. It works now. Thank you Monsta and lurkatron , the help is greatly appreciated.
Infra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Infra »

Update : I found what was causing the boot problems - https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... atus-menu/ . Well the comments(should read them next time ) said to avoid the boot hang you need to set a profile picture , go figure :D .
lurkatron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lurkatron »

glad you got it working dude

Return to “Others”