Screen saver locks the screen too late

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
randomguy

Screen saver locks the screen too late

Post by randomguy »

This is a mild security risk, actually, so I just want to share this: on my 18.3 I have Screensaver set to blank screen, with 3 min of idleness before it activates.

But it often lets me use it for a few seconds and only then does it lock the screen. That's quite funny, but probably not as funny for those who count on this feature working properly.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Screen saver locks the screen too late

Post by orschiro »

You mean it doesn't lock it after 3 minutes but 3 minutes and 10 seconds (or whatever value that is)?
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

orschiro wrote:You mean it doesn't lock it after 3 minutes but 3 minutes and 10 seconds (or whatever value that is)?
Yes. Like, you can actually use MATE for a few seconds, then you get locked out.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by orschiro »

And why is this a problem? If you want to be sure, lock your screen manually and wait until it's locked. Then leave your computer.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

orschiro wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:26 am And why is this a problem? If you want to be sure, lock your screen manually and wait until it's locked. Then leave your computer.
Problem isn't only that doesn't lock, but also that it locks when it shouldn't.

If it hasn't yet locked and I'm back at my desktop and start using it, then it shouldn't lock and force me to re-enter my password.
Or worse, lock me out when I am presenting or doing something (semi-)important.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

I found a way to duplicate this - if I work in RDP session, it seems Mint isn't aware that I'm actually using my PC. Windows doesn't do that, obviously, even if you're in MSTSC to a remote computer.

I'm quite sure there is more than one way this happens, but the above is one of them.
baj
Level 2
Level 2

Post by baj »

I've seen this with the screen saver in Mint Mate v19.2 as well. I'll come back to my computer after lunch or a meeting and the screen saver will be active so I wiggle the mouse. The screen saver will stop and show me whatever app was open on my external monitor. Often times my laptop screen will go black, but I can't say it's everytime. I can then select items, scroll, use the menus (haven't tried typing, but will) for a few seconds in the application displayed on my external monitor, then it's replaced with my desktop wall paper and the login prompt. But for those handful of seconds after I wiggle the mouse I have access to the system without unlocking it.

Return to “MATE”