Solved: Remove icons from Desktop without removing from Plank

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
PNWDrew
Level 1
Level 1

Solved: Remove icons from Desktop without removing from Plank

Post by PNWDrew »

Hi! Hope this is right section for this question.
Linux Mint 18.04 64bit running no changes to DE from DLed ISO. Please ask for any needed info, I've been running Linux distros for a while but am not far from newbie in terms of skills.

I'm trying to fix some of the nagging issues I have and cannot figure out how to only have an icon on Plank. If I have it on desktop and remove it also removes it from plank. I've always just drug icon from desktop to add to Plank, this may be why and I want to learn how else I should be doing it

Feels like there must be a way, but googling didn't reveal much or I didn't use correct terms. I'm comfortable using command line but have borked distros trying random solutions to other problems. Any help is appreciated. How to solve this is great and some basic info on why it happens might sink in as well.

Thanks,
Andrew
Last edited by PNWDrew on Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Remove icons from Desktop without removing from Plank

Post by smurphos »

Open your file Manager to the location /usr/share/applications

In that folder you should find the desktop files for all your menu entries. Drag the desktop files directly from the file manager to plank.

If you've modified or added menu entries the desktop files will be in

~/.local/share/applications

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

PNWDrew
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Remove icons from Desktop without removing from Plank

Post by PNWDrew »

Thank you! That does it. Having dups was cluttering up the desktop.

PNWDrew
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Solved: Remove icons from Desktop without removing from Plank

Post by PNWDrew »

Some do not exist in that directory. Tor for instance. Any ideas on what I did during install that would cause that?

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

Hi,

What method did you use to install Tor?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

PNWDrew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PNWDrew »

Thanks for continuing with this...

Tor I believe was DLed as a tar and the executable was available upon extracting, but I'm not 100% sure as I have had so many issues with many programs not in Boutique not installing as debs so have made the mistake of googling for answers... I know that's not ideal for a noob but usually it worked. There are other examples of unexpected behavior, Discord also is resisting removal from desktop. Nothing critical but annoying for a clean desktop person as I try to be.It's something I'm doing no doubt, coupled with inability to diagnose what that failure is.

I know it's my error in installing probably,,,,I spent the last hour trying to update Telegram for instance; since using the update function on main UI constantly generated a system error immediately or on next start up that I had to delete, 1.9.5 is out and I could not get it to install or update. Finally found the the install beta option and it did update. That program in particular has always been an issue with updates.

My guess is my haphazard solutions have made a mess out of this, part of the learning curve I suppose. But I would like to do it correctly and avoid spending so much time messing around as in the past I've eventually resorted to reinstalling the OS out of frustration. Your previous answer does help explain why I see multiple entries in Menu though, I think.

Drew

Return to “MATE”