Saving web links via drag and drop in file manager

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vjayer
Level 1
Level 1

Saving web links via drag and drop in file manager

Post by vjayer »

(I originally posted this in the general software forum but then I realized that this is a better place, when I also now have an update)

I'm using Mint 19.3 MATE 64bit and when I drag and drop links from Firefox (the left hand lock icon next to the url) to the Caja file manager, it sometimes saves a .desktop link, which is what I want, and sometimes it saves a local html copy, which is what I don't want. It appears to randomly switch between the two behaviors. I thought maybe I could get it to save the desktop link by holding down for a while in the destination window before releasing, but that may not make a difference.

the desktop link format is just a plain text file with:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name= < file name - default is web page title >
Type=Link
URL=https://..... 
Icon=mate-fs-bookmark
On the other hand, I did come across one web site that consistently always tries to save a local html copy and actually always fails to do so, which is wiley (the book publisher) site e.g.: try dragging and dropping:
https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Discord+For ... 1119688099

It fails with HTTP Error: Method Not Allowed

.. but even if that behaviour worked, again, I would like to just save a link instead.

update: I did find 2 urls where I can reliably reproduce both types of behaviors:

1) always makes local html copy:
https://letstalkbitcoin.com/profile/user/legendface66
- wait for a moment until you see the progress meter for making the copy
- this applies to the wiley.com url above too, except that also fails when trying to make the local copy

2) always saves .desktop link:
https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/u ... l-server-1

ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Saving web links via drag and drop in file manager

Post by ibbill »

vjayer I added a panel at the top and dragged the url to it and dropped it there. I have the top panel hidden to safe desk top space.

You can then drag and drop it from there into the file manager. To have it show up on the desktop drop it in the desktop folder in the file manager.

I found sites that I visit all the time I put them in the top panel. When I boot up they are right there to go to them. Not sure if this is what you want but just how I do it.
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 19 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
NVIDIA Corporation G84GL [Quadro FX 1700] (rev a1)
4gb ram Dual core
Canada

vjayer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vjayer »

Thanks ibbill. It's not exactly what I want but it does give me a workaround.

It seems like drag and dropping urls to the MATE panel is a reliable way to overcome the bugginess of doing the same in the file manager or the desktop.
I can then drag and drop from those icons in the panel to Caja. It's cumbersome because it's an additional step, plus one more for deleting the temporary panel link icons. But it does work for the troublesome two urls I cited earlier.

However I did notice the *.desktop files created are not the exactly the same as the ones created by drag and dropping urls into the MATE desktop or the Caja file manager. The ones created in a panel has this on top:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
[Desktop Entry]
but the *.desktop files created in Caja or the desktop is missing the "#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open" line
I think the panel created ones might actually be more correct

ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ibbill »

vjayer Sorry about that. Your right was a lot of extra steps. Hopefully some one can post a better way of doing it for you.
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 19 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
NVIDIA Corporation G84GL [Quadro FX 1700] (rev a1)
4gb ram Dual core
Canada

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

I'm not entirely certain that my solution is even close to your needs but I use FF extension Group Speed Dial where I have several different tabs with links in them All I need do is click on the icon and add the current page to speed dial. It returns me to the page without any further input by me.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “MATE”