<SOLVED> How to remove the XApp Status applet

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wade
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> How to remove the XApp Status applet

Post by Wade »

Recently, I did in-place upgrade from LM 19.2 MATE to 19.3 MATE, and I have been getting the nag message to install the XApp Status applet, so I installed it.

Big mistake.

I was wary, so before doing it, I took a snapshot in Timeshift, believing that would enable me to roll back easily if anything went wrong.

Now, my carefully crafted bottom panel has been ruined. The network icon and update status icon moved to the middle of the panel, and no longer appear in the notification area, which is on the right side of the panel. I cannot move them back, and I cannot delete them. Normally, right clicking on a MATE panel item allows it to be moved or deleted, but no such option exists on these. Also both are on backgrounds that do not match the rest of the panel.

I restored from my Timeshift snapshot, but it had no effect at all. The applet is still there.

How can I get rid of this thing and make my panel the same as it was before?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How to remove the XApp Status applet

Post by smurphos »

One of the reasons I can't love MATE is it's horrible panel management tools.

Right click in blank space just to the left of the Network Icon or the Update Manager icon (whichever one is on the left). If you hit the right spot you should hopefully get the remove, lock, move options for the Xapp Status Applet. I'd suggest you try moving it first to integrate it into your layout.

Hint - Mate Tweak allows you to save / restore custom panel layouts.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Wade
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to remove the XApp Status applet

Post by Wade »

smurphos, THANK YOU

I had already tried that repeatedly and could not find any way to remove it, but based on your suggestion, I tried again a little bit harder, lol. With some persistence, I found the right spot, a hairline thin invisible area. Once I found the spot, I was able to remove it, and then the normal network and update icons reappeared in the notification area, Problem solved!
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: <SOLVED> How to remove the XApp Status applet

Post by absque fenestris »

Wade wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:26 am Recently, I did in-place upgrade from LM 19.2 MATE to 19.3 MATE, and I have been getting the nag message to install the XApp Status applet, so I installed it.
I also saw this and now, after adjustment, I have the information twice.
OK - you can delete the superfluous one.
MATE has its problems - it is not exactly beautiful...
tenpennys
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED> How to remove the XApp Status applet

Post by tenpennys »

Happened to me as well. Had three of them. I reset the panel and they went away and left me with the one on the right end. Hope this helps

Return to “MATE”