Anyone else have a problem with F2-rename? [solved]

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gopher38
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone else have a problem with F2-rename? [solved]

Post by gopher38 »

Small issue that I've had for some time, but for which I haven't found a solution despite lots of googling. Like I said, it's minor, but when you're obsessive (guilty), it grates on you. So I've got three Mint-Mate computers at home, all on 20 Ulyana. I always used to rename files using the contextual menu, because I thought F2 wasn't available on Linux (I don't think it was 15 years ago when I first installed ubuntu, but maybe I'm wrong). Anyway, a few months ago I instinctually hit F2, and there I was, ready to rename a file, which is great, because you need a rename KB shortcut. On one of my computers though, I can't use F2 to rename files. The file icon flashes for a moment (so the command is registered), but then the file goes back to being selected in caja, but without the name highlighted and without the possibility to change the name. I can rename it using the contextual menu (or command line using mv), but F2 dies somehow. Can't think of what would interrupt the rename process, or cause it to die. Like I said, it works on my other two computers, with the same version Mint and basically the same software installed. Anyone have an idea? if so, love to hear it. Cheers.
Last edited by gopher38 on Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vimes666
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Anyone else have a problem with F2-rename?

Post by vimes666 »

My guess is that you have made another keybinding for F2 on that pc, either unknowingly by installing some application or willfully (but forgotten) via the keyboard shortcuts ( menu>preferences>keyboard shortcuts ).
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

Pardon my ignorance, but is F2-rename part of caja or is that something e.g. a script you've come up with? I have not implemented any shortcuts --nothing wrong with them, mind you; I have acquired a disdain for them at an early age (it's just the way I'm wired) but can't the same shortcut be used say, in Nemo? Or caja is your one and only go-to when it comes to managing files?

It's likely because I am such a command line fanatic.
all41
Level 18
Level 18

Post by all41 »

Some keyboards have a fn lock button to switch F1 through F12 to multimedia and
special function keys
Everything is difficult before it gets easy.
gopher38
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gopher38 »

I'll check these suggestions out tomorrow. Thought I was supposed to get a notification when someone replied, but I didn't see anything. I thought I checked for the rebinding, but I'll look again closer tomorrow. I'll check out the keyboard setup and fn lock also. It is a Mac keyboard, and I did look at the keyboard setup, but didn't see anything untoward. Now that I think of it, I can swap a windows keyboard also and see if it makes a difference.
The thing is though, I think the function is being called, because - as I said - I select the file, hit F2, and the file blinks for a second, like it's going to highlight the name, but the it goes back to the initial state. F2 seems to be getting to caja telling it to do something (presumably rename), but then it stops. Strange. Anyway, I'll look at your suggestions tomorrow. Thanks for the input.
all41
Level 18
Level 18

Post by all41 »

gopher38 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:33 pm
I'll check these suggestions out tomorrow.
@gopher38 Be sure to report your findings here to help others
gopher38
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Anyone else have a problem with F2-rename? [solved]

Post by gopher38 »

OK. You were right. The keys were bound to the multi-media functions. I tried an HP keyboard, and it worked right away. I had read on a site that, in order to get the fn keys to work, you had to press CTRL and then the key or and fn key. CTRL didn't work and I hadn't even noticed before that there was an fn key, but this time I found it. fn + f2 did work, but I didn't want to have to press two keys, the solution to I found here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/7537/ho ... page%29%3A

The solution in that thread makes it permanent. Thanks.
all41
Level 18
Level 18

Post by all41 »

the solution to I found here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/7537/ho ... page%29%3A
Good find.
This desktop keyboard has both fn and fn lock keys.
I became very familiar with this when suddenly I couldn't enter bios.
After head scratching came forehead slap--the stupid fn lock key.
(on this keyboard it's just right of f12 and is a padlock icon
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

I don't think CAPS LOCK won't be knocked off its throne anytime soon, you know as the king of annoyances. :evil:

Return to “MATE”