M-13/Mate: Add Google to search engine list

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
w0ipl

M-13/Mate: Add Google to search engine list

Post by w0ipl »

My guess is that I am doing something wrong but I can't see what.

I want to add Google to the search engine list on Firefox. I look in the "Manage search engines" portion and it tells me
How can I add Google to Linux Mint?
In the top right corner of Firefox, click on the drop down list of search engines and select "Add Google".
That sounds quite easy, until I click for the drop down menu, which does . . not . . have "Add Google" as an option.

What have I missed?

Thanks
Pat

Edit: Oooops. Left out one step that I used.
The initial drop down has a "Manage Search engines" and I did that. It is within that portion that I got the above mentioned "Add Google" message.

Sorry. :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
munin

Re: M-13/Maint: Add Google to search engine list

Post by munin »

I have not managed to use Google in Firefox either, but I also use Opera, and Google is the default search engine there, and it is very easy to change to whatever you want. In my experience Opera is the best browser around, and it is very efffective to have Firefox open on one desktop, and Opera on another, and whatever else you are doing on a third and fourth. So that should be a good solution to the problem.
munin

Re: M-13/Mate: Add Google to search engine list

Post by munin »

Just found the easy way to use Google in Firefox. Just open Linux Mint Startpage and Google is there right at the top. On my version of Firefox it opens by default on that page, but is easy to find using yahoo. Strange that I have not noticed before, Well, one learns something useful every day on this forum.
w0ipl

Post by w0ipl »

munin wrote:Just found the easy way to use Google in Firefox. Just open Linux Mint Startpage and Google is there right at the top. On my version of Firefox it opens by default on that page, but is easy to find using yahoo. Strange that I have not noticed before, Well, one learns something useful every day on this forum.
Thank you, but I can get to Google via URL without a problem. What I am looking for is the search "bar" (to the right of the URL space) to be set to a Google search rather than the Yahoo search. I have a different web site as my "start page" within Firefox.

I did a search in Yahoo and got zero hits in the reply.
I did a copy/paste of the search arg into Google and got multiple pages if hits.
I would hope that the results would be mostly the same, but they are . . . not.

I just want Firefox to "default" to a Google search rather than Yahoo.

Thanks anyway.
Lord_Eager

Post by Lord_Eager »

The issue is still there actually, surely not a big issue but i'm used to search through search engine bar and i miss the google search engine... The yahoo indeed sucks... The problem actually seems to be that it's not supported in 14.0.1, but i think it could be possible to get the google.xml file from a previous version and put it in the /usr/lib/firefox folder... I will try that if i'm not able to solve it else...

EDIT: found the solution 2 minutes after: http://mycroft.mozdev.org/google-search-plugins.html .
Enjoy.
veganpete

Post by veganpete »

For Google URL search:
1- type about:config in the url bar
2- clck "ok, I'll be careful"
3- scroll to "keyword.url" and double click it
4- paste "http://www.google.com/search?q=" in the field and restart firefox

For Google search bar:
1- add the "add to search bar" addon in firefox... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
2- go to google website and right-click in the search box
3- click "Add to search bar"
iain_j

Post by iain_j »

To get Google and to have search suggestions as you type:

Go to the Firefox website and download the latest version

Open the archive, and go to the firefox > searchplugins folder

Extract google.xml (and any others you may want) to ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/searchplugins

Restart firefox, and you'll have the entries in your search bar
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

Have a look at this page. Very easy, all from mint itself too.

Return to “MATE”