Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
latruffe
Level 1
Level 1

Login screen with face selector

Post by latruffe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:43 am

Hello,
I installed recently the last Linux Mint 13, Mate version.
At the login screen, I'd like to select a picture/image for the user, instead of typing his login (I've got pretty young children...).
I've looked around the settings how to setup it but I haven't found.
How could I make it please :roll: ?
Many thanks.

xpander
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Login screen with face selector

Post by xpander » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:03 pm

u can use gdm themes from gnome-look.org just have to edit themename.desktop file with mdm instead of gdm.
or u can use this as an example:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72782740/debian ... st-all.deb

to get the face
save ur picture u want to use as ur face into ur home folder and rename it to ".FACE" without quotes

better mdm theming support will arrive with mint 14
Linux Gaming Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Xpander666?feature=mhee
-----------
Gfire - Xfire For Pidgin

latruffe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by latruffe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:27 am

I'll try this evening.
Many thanks.

latruffe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by latruffe » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:58 pm

Good evening.
Hummm... doesn't work for me.
I tried for example with the theme http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Mint-shadows?content=71850, but I have'nt succeeded in configuring the settings of the local login window.
Either it doesn't look for .desktop files, or it doesn't want to take the .tar.gz (error message).
In any way, I've just tried to use the downloaded file (or unarchived). But I don't understand what you mean by editing it with MDM...
As far as login pictures are concerned, I put a little gif in my $HOME, by renamming it as ".face" (I think it must not be named in uppercase, but I tried too).
The picture was never displayed at the login screen.
Is there specific dimensions to respect, and/or type of image ?

In general, I think it's very astonishing for a linux distribution not to support more easily a login screen with face selector. I should be too expecting...
Any help is welcome.
Thanks

martywd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by martywd » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:49 am

latruffe wrote: Hummm... doesn't work for me.
I'm not sure were to get to the 'Login Photo' app from the MATE menu? So. Login to user's desktop that you want to setup. Open a 'Terminal' window (Menu | All Applications | Accessories | Terminal'). At the command prompt type:

Code: Select all

mdmphotosetup & 
Click on icon in the center of the resulting window to browse to the image file you want to set.

If instead you are looking for the Global configuration for the main login screen? Then in a login to an account with sudo privileges, look in the 'Control Center | System | Login Window | Users (tab)'. Or in a 'Terminal' window at the command line:

gksu mdmsetup &
Click on the 'Users' tab.

xpander
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xpander » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:01 am

latruffe wrote:Good evening.
Hummm... doesn't work for me.
I tried for example with the theme http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... tent=71850, but I have'nt succeeded in configuring the settings of the local login window.
Either it doesn't look for .desktop files, or it doesn't want to take the .tar.gz (error message).
In any way, I've just tried to use the downloaded file (or unarchived). But I don't understand what you mean by editing it with MDM...
As far as login pictures are concerned, I put a little gif in my $HOME, by renamming it as ".face" (I think it must not be named in uppercase, but I tried too).
The picture was never displayed at the login screen.
Is there specific dimensions to respect, and/or type of image ?

In general, I think it's very astonishing for a linux distribution not to support more easily a login screen with face selector. I should be too expecting...
Any help is welcome.
Thanks
u have to edit the files in terminal with nano for example. cuz with pluma ..after u save the file it will be themename.desktop.desktop , instead of themename.desktop

and yes my mistake it has to be .face in the home folder. dunno if the dimensions matter.

u can select ur new theme from mdmsetup then and choose it with face browser to be able to show ur picture.

themes go to /usr/share/mdm/themes

modified file for u: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28788188/Mint- ... MDM.tar.gz
drag & drop into mdmsetup

looks like this in the list:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28788188/Screenshot-515.png
-----------
Gfire - Xfire For Pidgin

latruffe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by latruffe » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:41 am

Hello.
Thank you very much.
Now it's working very fine, as I expected it to do.
Moreover, I now really understand where and how to setup this kind of login. I'll try to find another theme more pleasant for my kids.
Again, thanks.
Regards.
Latruffe

habfan29
Level 1
Level 1

Post by habfan29 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23 pm

First, let me note that I also fell victim to the ".desktop.desktop" problem, so if anyone else has trouble making gdm themes work in mdm, open a terminal and do a full "ls" of your files!

Now on a related question: is there any way within MATE to set the users' face pictures? Or does one have to dig through config files and set them the hard way?

xpander
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xpander » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:06 am

habfan29 wrote:...

Now on a related question: is there any way within MATE to set the users' face pictures? Or does one have to dig through config files and set them the hard way?
copy the picture to the user home folder and rename it as .face
with mint 14 there will be graphical interface to deal with it afaik
-----------
Gfire - Xfire For Pidgin

RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:02 pm

I just figured out how to do this today, with Mint Pro MDM theme.
Download that, install it by dragging the tarball into the list found in Login Window (under Administration in the menu) on the 'Local' tab *see picture below.
You'll have to use Mozo (aka Main Menu, formerly alacarte) to enable the Login Photo option. Then its simply a matter of running Login Photo and choosing your picture (just click on the box and navigate to the picture you want).

Here's MDM Mint pro customized

I have converted several GDM themes for use with MDM, if you'd like any, send me a PM :).
Dell Dimension 4600i, nVidia GeForce 6300, 4 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 32-bit (Rosa), MATE
Dell Latitude D400, Intel Graphics, 1 GB RAM, Mint 17 32-bit (Rebecca), MATE
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE

latruffe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by latruffe » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Hello.
Just a word to say that concerning the ".face" file in the user $HOME, I had to build a png file with size 96x96 (via GIMP for example).
It's possible too to place this photo in the path /usr/share/pixmaps/faces, named "<username>.png".
That's all.

rkmugen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rkmugen » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:19 pm

RobertLM78 wrote:I just figured out how to do this today, with Mint Pro MDM theme.
Download that, install it by dragging the tarball into the list found in Login Window (under Administration in the menu) on the 'Local' tab *see picture below.
You'll have to use Mozo (aka Main Menu, formerly alacarte) to enable the Login Photo option. Then its simply a matter of running Login Photo and choosing your picture (just click on the box and navigate to the picture you want).

I have converted several GDM themes for use with MDM, if you'd like any, send me a PM :).

I'm using Mint 13 XFCE, but the above instructions simply don't work for that exact MDM theme.... and that MDM theme is really the only one I want to use (other than the default one).

It doesn't matter whether it's a .tar or even a .tar.gz file... the stupid thing keeps giving me the error that the file is...

"Not a theme archive.  File not a tar.gz or tar archive."
I've even checked 6 times to be sure that the MdmGreeterTheme file was actually named "MdmGreeterTheme.desktop" and that it didn't have a duplicate ".desktop" suffix. What gives? :(
My setup:
  • *Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 32-bit; Compaq Presario V2000-Intel 1.5GHz (Pentium M) - Intel 82852/855GM integrated video (i915)
    *Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit; HP Media Center m7780n; GTX 750Ti (v352.63); Intel E6400 dual-core @ 2.13GHz

RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:58 pm

rkmugen wrote:
RobertLM78 wrote:I just figured out how to do this today, with Mint Pro MDM theme.

I'm using Mint 13 XFCE, but the above instructions simply don't work for that exact MDM theme.... and that MDM theme is really the only one I want to use (other than the default one).

It doesn't matter whether it's a .tar or even a .tar.gz file... the stupid thing keeps giving me the error that the file is...

"Not a theme archive.  File not a tar.gz or tar archive."
I've even checked 6 times to be sure that the MdmGreeterTheme file was actually named "MdmGreeterTheme.desktop" and that it didn't have a duplicate ".desktop" suffix. What gives? :(
I'm sorry about your troubles. I think that some major changes have been made to MDM lately - the other day it was updated and it came with a bunch of new themes, so I think those old themes may no longer be compatible :(. But, I will do some more investigation into this and report back :).
Dell Dimension 4600i, nVidia GeForce 6300, 4 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 32-bit (Rosa), MATE
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE

rkmugen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rkmugen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:21 am

Much appreciated, Robert. Thanks!
My setup:
  • *Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 32-bit; Compaq Presario V2000-Intel 1.5GHz (Pentium M) - Intel 82852/855GM integrated video (i915)
    *Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit; HP Media Center m7780n; GTX 750Ti (v352.63); Intel E6400 dual-core @ 2.13GHz

RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:10 pm

rkmugen wrote:Much appreciated, Robert. Thanks!
Sorry that it took me a few days rkmugen, but I have it figured out. Zerozero referred me to this post, which lead to the conclusion that GDM themes can be used directly (and I have tested to make sure :D).

Tombu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tombu » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:02 pm

latruffe wrote:Hello.
Just a word to say that concerning the ".face" file in the user $HOME, I had to build a png file with size 96x96 (via GIMP for example).
It's possible too to place this photo in the path /usr/share/pixmaps/faces, named "<username>.png".
That's all.
If you have opted for the crypted /home-partition, you have to place your face png in /usr/share/pixmaps/faces, otherwise it naturally can't be accessed before you actually login (which is kind of redundant at that point).
Mint 14.1 Mate

Return to “MATE”