Unable to log into user account

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Unable to log into user account

Post by remoulder » Fri May 09, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi all, I have a triple boot machine consisting of Mint 4, Kubuntu Hardy and Windows, each in it's own partition, with the 2 linux installs sharing the same home partition. I am unable to log into Mint under my normal user a/c though I can login as root. I can also login via Kubuntu and access my home folder. When I try to log into Mint, I just get an error beep after entering the password and taken back to the user name entry. I suspect this may have happened either after I installed Thunderbird in Kubuntu which also installed some gnome components and Hardy uses a later version of gnome I think; or it was messing about with my home folder permissions trying to get mediatomb to see the contents of my media folders. I have chown'd and chmod'd my home folder permissions, and unlocked and reset the password, but to no avail. All suggestions to enable me to login again gratefully accepted.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

miket
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Unable to log into user account

Post by miket » Fri May 09, 2008 3:16 pm

Hi MikeyB,

Check that your user entries in the /etc/passwd file is the same in Mint and Kubuntu, it may be that you have a different numerical userid in one of the /etc/passwd
files so you are effectively not the owner when logging in via Mint.

Also check the /etc/group file to ensure you have the same numerical groupid in the two files.
The third thing to check is that your entry in the /etc/shadow file is the same on both machines ....

If you're not sure what to look for just paste the entries from the files on both versions of linux here and I'll check them over for you.

Mike.
mikeyb wrote:Hi all, I have a triple boot machine consisting of Mint 4, Kubuntu Hardy and Windows, each in it's own partition, with the 2 linux installs sharing the same home partition. I am unable to log into Mint under my normal user a/c though I can login as root. I can also login via Kubuntu and access my home folder. When I try to log into Mint, I just get an error beep after entering the password and taken back to the user name entry. I suspect this may have happened either after I installed Thunderbird in Kubuntu which also installed some gnome components and Hardy uses a later version of gnome I think; or it was messing about with my home folder permissions trying to get mediatomb to see the contents of my media folders. I have chown'd and chmod'd my home folder permissions, and unlocked and reset the password, but to no avail. All suggestions to enable me to login again gratefully accepted.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Fri May 09, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi AvanceIT, have checked both passwd files and the userids are identical as I thought. This was something I was careful about when I set it all up, and it has been working fine until the other day.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Fri May 09, 2008 4:14 pm

I have now checked the group files and they are also the same, however the shadow files are different.

in Kubuntu, the entries for root and mike are:

root:!:13962:0:99999:7:::
mike:$1$rSK/Pbut$uNv2HRxVzk0XvgCNN9X10.:13962:0:99999:7:::

with most other entries just having *:13962:0:99999:7::: at the end

and in Mint they are:

root:Dvxso1YIKNo8k:13962:0:99999:7:::
mike:$1$Cl8NK2DR$8zYfkKc3dcBhuj1lyQumM.:14006:0:99999:7:::

with most entries just having !:13940:0:99999:7::: at the end

miket
Level 5
Level 5

Post by miket » Fri May 09, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi !
mikeyb wrote:I have now checked the group files and they are also the same, however the shadow files are different.

in Kubuntu, the entries for root and mike are:

root:!:13962:0:99999:7:::
mike:$1$rSK/Pbut$uNv2HRxVzk0XvgCNN9X10.:13962:0:99999:7:::

with most other entries just having *:13962:0:99999:7::: at the end

and in Mint they are:

root:Dvxso1YIKNo8k:13962:0:99999:7:::
mike:$1$Cl8NK2DR$8zYfkKc3dcBhuj1lyQumM.:14006:0:99999:7:::

with most entries just having !:13940:0:99999:7::: at the end
Ok, looking at this the password for user "mike" is different on each Linux install which may be why you can't log in
on the Mint system as you may be using the password from the Kubuntu system ??

Try logging in as user root on the mint system and change the password for user mike to something you know,
then try logging in again as user mike using the new password ...

Mike.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Fri May 09, 2008 5:22 pm

Thanks Mike for your continued help, afraid this didn't work. Was already pretty sure I'd entered the passwords exactly the same, so don't quite understand why they should be different in the shadow file, but just to make sure I did as you suggested and entered a simple password via root login, but no go.
Try logging in as user root on the mint system and change the password for user mike to something you know,
then try logging in again as user mike using the new password

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Fri May 09, 2008 5:47 pm

It is not hard to share home between distros, but very tricky to do it with the same user name - basically don't
And this is posted in the gnome section so you have the main gnome edition and Kubuntu - ouch
But - so do I, only I let the main and KDE editions of Mint share the same user name - thought I'd use KDE more, but I don't
I have exactly the same error as you (if I read you right) and that's because when you switch from KDE to gnome the standard session is set as KDE (or the other way round)
I don't remember the exact procedure, but you can select which session you want to use (there's an option for that in GDM)
Set it to gnome - it may be as simple as that
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Return to “MATE”