Help!! Mate menu panel suddenly missing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MSt1982
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Help!! Mate menu panel suddenly missing

Post by MSt1982 »

I have the same problems. We have 2017 and I am using Mate 18.2.

This thread is more than 4 year s old.

May it be possible to try to fix things like this instead of adding such 'important' things like new wallpapers every version for example, dear Mate-distributors? :cry:
MSt1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MSt1982 »

Any ideas?

Menu-button and the system-monitor is missing very often and it is completely annoying to restart the desktop 2-3 times to see these icons...........
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Well, I'm sorry that this is probably not the perfect solution for you ... but if you switch to Mint XFCE you can have your Desktop appear almost identical to Mint Mate without making any big adjustments. That was my solution on my computer. But since I really enjoy using Caja every day, I then did go ahead and installed everything Caja related too. Afterwards I changed the file manager command settings in the main menu to Caja in order to have Caja open as my default file manager. I also changed things to Caja in the settings. I've never had any problems with XFCE panels on dozens of computers where I installed Mint XFCE.
Just a thought ... :wink:

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
MSt1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MSt1982 »

This still occurs...today the "click here to hide all windows and show desktop"-button was missing after first startup, only a black, empty field....after I restarted everything was fine.

This is very annoying...
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Alternatively you could also just install the XFCE panel. The great thing about the XFCE panel is that it takes up very little space (around 10 mb), it's absolutely rock solid and never ever changes symbols or behaves buggy in any way, it also allows you to have as many panels as you like with each panel being completely configurable, and best of all ...everything stays exactly the way that you set it up, even after reboots and power off/on functions. Oh, and you can set the panel up vertical as well ... :D
I find XFCE panels to be far superior over mate panels. Just sayin ...

PEACE
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Also, I noticed people complaining about not being able to organize a larger number of symbols on the XFCE panel properly, without having to use a lot of spacers (???) :? Well, all of you whom this aplies to are doing something wrong. The easiest fix for that is to create as many "specialized" panels as you like, followed by placing them wherever you like. For example, in the purple image above, I'm using 5 different panels, one of which is a hidden panel. The panels all appear exactly where I want them, and nowhere else. Multiple panels permit you to set them up any which way you chose, with few or with lots of launchers for applications in them, with individual color schemes, and placed wherever you want ... permanently.

For those who think that's too much work ... creating a panel in a matter of seconds ... the single panel option is still just as viable. You can add as many launchers as you like, place them with up/down selections exactly where you want them, and use separators to get the precise look of the panel, to have symbols appear where and how you want them to appear. The separators actually have more than just a single default option. Not only can you alter how they appear, but in addition you can also decide whether or not a separator should stretch. In other words, if you wanted three "sets" of multiple launchers to appear in a specific location on a single bar, you would add the separators last. First you would create every launcher that you want on that panel. Secondly you would place them in the correct order. Third, if more than one "customized set" of launchers is required, you would still place them on the bar in their proper order, after first having created the initial set of ordered launchers. Then, at the very end, you would add the separators and move them between your different sets of launchers.

To summarize: If you wanted 4 sets of launchers on your panel, perhaps one with internet apps, another with writing/document apps, a third set with graphical apps, and a final set with multimedia related apps ... you should be able to accomplish this by adding as few as only 3 separators, between custom launcher sets 2, 3, and 4. By using the expanded separator function and determining a specific panel width, you should be able to accomplish the exact look that you're envisoning for your XFCE panel ... easily, and quickly! That's the reason why I switched from the mate panel, to the XFCE panel instead. Not only is the XFCE panel far more versatile, easy to make 100% totally transparent, but it's also totally robust and stable. Once you have XFCE panel(s) set up how and where you want, they will remain there just like that indefinitely ... unless you decide to make additional changes later on.

At some point I decided that XFCE is superior to Mate, even on 7+ year old computers. So for the past 3 or 4 years I've gotten completely away from Mate, since I truly believe that XFCE is a better performer, much more attractive, with far more options to easily customize, than Mate. I do however install Caja with all that's required as well as Engrampa and P7zip Full, in order to use Caja as my default file manager with our Mint XFCE setups. This provides me with the best of both desktop environments (IMO), without losing any performance or functionality. After all, isn't that primarily what the Linux desktops are all about ... freedom ... and subsequent happiness ... by having a desktop that looks and feels exactly as you expect? Now if only XFCE & Mate would merge, to dump Thunar and replace with Caja instead, by default ... :wink: (sigh, perfection)

PEACE :D

MSt1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MSt1982 »

Still the same with Mint Mate 19.

Seems to be a bit better - but the bar still looks strange often after a startup and I often have to restart the desktop with Ctrl+alt+backspace...after 1-3 restarts it looks normal.

Any ideas how to solve this?
MSt1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MSt1982 »

Some more pics...I also have Compiz active as displaymanager...is it a problem of Compiz? Maybe I take a look at the Xfce-one....but in general I am very satisfied as it actually is - and not a big fan of doing such experiments.

Return to “MATE”