Help!! Mate menu panel suddenly missing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kjomara1

Help!! Mate menu panel suddenly missing

Post by kjomara1 »

I had an app. hang today and re-booted out of it. When it finished booting I have no "task bar" or otherwise known as the menu panel. I had it set to auto hide and now it is permanently hidden. I can't open a terminal window either because I don't have a menu button, and I never copied a terminal shortcut to the desktop. Can anyone help me out of this? I'm running 64 bit Mint 14 with Mate desktop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Help!! Mate menu panel suddenly missing

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

press alt f2 and type in

Code: Select all

mate-terminal

now you'll have terminal now type in

mate-panel --reset
hopefully that will help.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
surferbob644

Post by surferbob644 »

Thanks. Had the same problem. I put the panel on the left and then it wouldn't show. I think compiz is not playing well. Thanks again.
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

Excellent advice! It worked for me too :D Well done!
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

If you reboot or login new and can't see anything to make even the terminal work (even though everything else appears to be in order), you should be able to hit ALT + F1 on your keyboard to force the menu to display on the desktop ... from where you'll then be able to select anything that you need. Depending on your system you may have to wait a few seconds before the menu appears. The ALT + F1 is in lieu of using the Windows key which causes the Mint Menu to open on your screen.
PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
dhimes

Post by dhimes »

Thank you! I was missing this too in 15 Olivia
andrekappert

Post by andrekappert »

I just installed Linux Mint 16 Petra and after an update and after reboot my menu panel and icons were missing. A saw just a screen with the “welcome” screen”. I found out that on the left side I could leave the screen (but not on the whole height!!) I recognized this leaving the screen because I also have a Dual monitor computer. In “Configuratiescherm” onder “Schermen” (I have a Dutch version the translation must be something like “Configurationscreen” and “Monitors”, the actual program is mate-display-properties) I saw that I had a “Ghost” Monitor named “LAPTOP” . After turning this monitor off in this program my normal Desktop returned. Strange is that my computer has just one connection for a monitor (Shuttle SX35) and that the second monitor was not found before my first update(I had checked it immediately after a reinstall).
Programs can be started by the ALT F1 and right clicking on Desktop to start “Terminal”.
Cheezy1

Post by Cheezy1 »

Thank you I had the same problem with Mint 17 MATE.
Fixed now.
slacka

Post by slacka »

This post should be pinned. I had the same issue.
lewtwo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lewtwo »

TheDynamicHamza21 wrote:

mate-panel --reset
THANK THEE !!!
:D :D :D :D
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com
Exodus_life
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Exodus_life »

hmmm seems i am not alone in this arena :P
bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bartszu »

mate-panel --reset

Is this mean reset to default or my icons and apps will be there ?

I installed few KDE apps and some times it goes missing but then comes back.
I am kinda happy how it looks now ;)
frits
Level 1
Level 1

Post by frits »

Just installed17.1 - from Mint 15.
I have the same problem with mint 17.1 but terminal "mate-panel --reset" did nothing
after restart or logout: No panel.
made a new starter with the line: mate-panel to start the panel but I have to start the panel by doubleClicking this starter.
Just added this starter to : opstart toepassingen (for english: system- preferences-start applications) as a new starter, this works fine

BTW I dont think 17.1 is stable. on installation I had: Error: symbol 'grub-term-highlight-color' not found and had to fix this manually
(see else on this forum)
Mint 15 was stable from installation till now (on both computers)
bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bartszu »

frits wrote:BTW I dont think 17.1 is stable. on installation I had: Error: symbol 'grub-term-highlight-color' not found and had to fix this manually
(see else on this forum) Mint 15 was stable from installation till now (on both computers)
Yes I am too old kid to let them tell me: " Install 17.1 and all your issues disappear :) "
I am kinda too experienced user for that ;)

My issue is exactly that:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/514278/m ... ibreoffice

And I bet it is still present in 17.1, so if this system will crash I will reinstall it of cause, who knows maybe to Arch Linux :)
baj
Level 2
Level 2

Post by baj »

Upgraded to v17 from v13. After a week or so I lost the menu button from the panel (rest of the panel was still there), so the first icon on the left was "show desktop". Upgraded to v17.1, no change. But:

mate-panel --reset

worked for me as well.

Thanks!
-Brad
Thanks for the Fish
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Thanks for the Fish »

I got these error messages when mate was loaded - if I didn't delete the applet it didn't appear at first but came up after some seconds. The error messages vanished after doing
baj wrote: mate-panel --reset
I created a new panel and now the error message pops up when I try to add something. Once again, the applet (such as the menu) is being added a bit later.

Occasionally. the menu button isn't clickable. Once, mate froze entirely etc. etc. ... :(

Any suggestions?
"Though this be madness, yet there is method in't."
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me.

I'm not running Mint - PClinuxOS 2013 - but had exactly the same problem. I was able to run the file manager and from there open the Mate Control Center. That let me open a terminal session as root. When mate-panel --reset didn't work, I launched synaptic and updated every Mate package that was installed. Now I'm getting these errors when I try to do the reset:

** (mate-panel:11870): WARNING **: The connection is closed
** (mate-panel:11891): WARNING **: Cannot register panel shell: The connection is closed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
deborah

Post by deborah »

THANK YOU! I have been searching the web for hours looking for a solution to my accidentally deleted Panel - your solution is the only one - the only one - that worked! THANK YOU!
bravew0lf

Post by bravew0lf »

How would you do this in Cinnamon?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

bravew0lf wrote:How would you do this in Cinnamon?
I would start by posting in the Cinnamon section of the forums, instead of the MATE section of the forums. Also, I would not post in a thread that hasn't had any new posts in months. The best way to get answers to your questions is to follow the guidelines found here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444

In this case, the most relevant guidelines are probably these:
New Questions Deserve New Topics

Do not add new questions to existing topics, start your own instead! This will make it easier for other members to provide support. This includes hijacking, do not ask unrelated questions in a user's existing support topic.
Do not resurrect support topics older than 6 months, outdated information can cause issues with newer releases.
Consider Which Forum Section To Post

Posting to specific sections can make it easier for others to provide assistance and for future searches. For example, if you are having a specific software issue, post to "Software and Applications" section instead of "Newbie Questions".
The guidelines are there for a reason: they have been found to maximize your chances of getting the answers you need.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “MATE”