Enable compiz on Mate in Mint 15????

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ivan76

Enable compiz on Mate in Mint 15????

Post by Ivan76 »

Guys where is the option to be enabled in register x enable compiz in Mate???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
groggin

Re: Enable compiz on Mate in Mint 15????

Post by groggin »

use synaptic to get compiz fusion icon, install, run and tweak to your liking
robertlafler

Post by robertlafler »

I did install compiz and fusion icon but when I try to launch Compiz Fusion Icon nothing happens. It doesn't load to the system tray and I can't find a process for it in System Monitor. i try to manually launch with this in terminal:

compiz --replace

It failed a couple of times but when I just tried it to get the error to post it worked this time. So I will add this command to Startup Applications. Next to get Emerald loaded.
groggin

Post by groggin »

lol, i have the same problem :?

Code: Select all

groggin@~~~~~~~~:~$ fusion-icon
 * Detected Session: mate
 * Searching for installed applications...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
but i'm in ArtistX, the upgrade to 13.4 killed it
pgyure

Post by pgyure »

Guys,

The links above will not work either. I've checked them before I came to the forum.
Certain functions are simply not working. I don't think we can do anything as the Team replaced the mateconf-editor with gsettings. Maybe that's the source of the problem...
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

pgyure wrote:The links above will not work either. I've checked them before I came to the forum.
Certain functions are simply not working. I don't think we can do anything as the Team replaced the mateconf-editor with gsettings. Maybe that's the source of the problem...
The real problem is that compiz is pretty much dead. If you want wobbly windows, gliding dialog boxes, desktop cubes, and goodness knows what else desktop effects, wait for Mint 15 KDE and use that. It's all built-in, so there's no compatibility issues.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
mbalazs81

Post by mbalazs81 »

Not perfect but working somewhat. With emerald: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/05/how-to-i ... -1304.html
use dconf-editor instead of mateconf-editor. to startup programs: "compiz --replace", "emerald --replace".

http://kepkezelo.com/images/m71kz0ys1183dhdejz9.png

But this is very buggy at me.
alexisg

Post by alexisg »

Visit my blog (nstructions in Spanish languaje)
http://linuxmintchile.wordpress.com/201 ... e-edition/
boarder428

Post by boarder428 »

catweazel wrote: The real problem is that compiz is pretty much dead. If you want wobbly windows, gliding dialog boxes, desktop cubes, and goodness knows what else desktop effects, wait for Mint 15 KDE and use that. It's all built-in, so there's no compatibility issues.
Why is everyone saying compiz is dead?
boarder428

Post by boarder428 »

I've had no problem getting compiz to work but the fusion icon does not seem to work in 15, but since mateconf-editor has been removed i cannot seem to figure out how to dissable Marco!
Honest Mistake

Post by Honest Mistake »

alexisg's instructions are correct. Fusion icon doesn't work, but it is not needed. Just install compiz /plugins / ccsm, test if compiz works:

compiz --replace &
and if yes, set compiz as default window manager with:

gsettings set org.mate.session.required-components windowmanager compiz
Be warned that this version of compiz has some issues, one of which (unclickable window borders on windows that start maximised) is particularly annoying and without a working work-around that I could find.
izzo

Post by izzo »

In, relevant to what I need.
StratosJL

Post by StratosJL »

Honest Mistake wrote:Be warned that this version of compiz has some issues, one of which (unclickable window borders on windows that start maximised) is particularly annoying and without a working work-around that I could find.
I confirm that the bug exists. I have not found a way to prevent it from happening, but when it does, you can move or un-maximize the window by pressing ALT, clicking anywhere on it (not the border) and then dragging it down and place/resize manually. :wink:
leonmaxx

Post by leonmaxx »

On my Mint 15 Mate I have installed latest experimental Compiz from Sam Spilsbury ppa, it's pretty simple and working:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:smspillaz/compiz-experimental
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager compiz
And re-login.
ruwan

Post by ruwan »

I don't know CompizConfig is installed successfully, but the functions are not working still.. It is disaster for me.. If it's not working I want to install Ubuntu 13.04. It works perfect on it.
izzo

Post by izzo »

leonmaxx wrote:On my Mint 15 Mate I have installed latest experimental Compiz from Sam Spilsbury ppa, it's pretty simple and working:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:smspillaz/compiz-experimental
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager compiz
And re-login.
Just did all that too, no dice... I still can't get Cairo Dock with transparency working.
Honest Mistake

Post by Honest Mistake »

ruwan wrote:I don't know CompizConfig is installed successfully, but the functions are not working still.. It is disaster for me.. If it's not working I want to install Ubuntu 13.04. It works perfect on it.
Can you give more details on what is wrong? What happens when you try compiz --replace &? What functions are not working? It's possible that everything in the ccsm is turned off by default.
MintRainbow

Post by MintRainbow »

boarder428 wrote:
catweazel wrote: The real problem is that compiz is pretty much dead...
Why is everyone saying compiz is dead?
Because Canonical bought it, and it is no longer a real work in progress, rather, it's stagnated and it's only real use is as the compositor for Unity.

I've also pretty much quit Compiz because, as much as I loved some of it's functions (Expo was pretty damn nice BTW), I've learned to live without it in MATE. If you want working Compiz so badly, then modify a session to use GNOME iinstead of MATE -- You end up installing GNOME and Unity by default if you grab it from the default repos anyway.

I'll play in a live session and see if I can't submit a working configuration that work from modified session / xsession files. hacky, but hey what I use to do.
MintRainbow

Post by MintRainbow »

First, add nilarimogard's ppa for webupd8 packages (ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8). Optionally, add Dockbar Main Group's PPA (ppa:dockbar-main/ppa). Then, install compiz, compizconfig-settings-manager, emerald and avant-window-navigator, optionally dockbarx and awn-applet-dockbarx.

Then, [url=http://www.mediafire.com/download/7eo0s0fmck71h5m/compiz-awn-session.tar.gz]Click here and download the session files I made[/url], extracting /usr to file system. Log out, select "Compiz with AWN", configure AWN and Compiz to your liking. Use CCSM before you log out and enable what you want. Do not use File Watcher plugiin unless you want to kiss Java goodbye.

Works even with Sam's Compiz PPA, listed above. Mint menu does not work, not the official one from neelance's PPA or from here, for Mate. If someone can offer a fix, [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=106355]do it here[/url].

Return to “MATE”