Edge tiling on MATE possible?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ReplicateThis
Level 1
Level 1

Edge tiling on MATE possible?

Postby ReplicateThis » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Is there any form of edge tiling (ie areo-snap) available in MATE? To explain, it allows the user to drag a window to the side of their screen and the window will then expand to 50% of the horizontal space. It allows one to easily work on two documents side by side.

A quick search of the MATE section of the forum yielded no results, so if I missed something apologies in advance.

I think Cinnamon has it, but Cinnamon does not play well with my system (CPU constantly @ 30%) and KDE has it but KDE does not always play well with me. Windows 7 has it, but I'd go for KDE before Windows... :lol:

Anyway, if the feature is not available in the desktop would others find something like it be beneficial enough to make a feature request of some sort? I'm rather new here so have no idea how such things work--advice always appreciated.

Thanks!
"Don't anthropomorphize computers - they hate it." ~Author Unknown

ReplicateThis
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Edge tiling on MATE possible?

Postby ReplicateThis » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:53 am

Well, it seems I need to further experiment with the nuances of the forum's search functionality... I discovered the answer to my question, more or less. It seems that Compiz is required to perform this feat of tiling magic. So I guess I'll have to race Compiz and KWin and see which comes out with less CPU usage...

Apologies for asking an already-asked question. :oops:

In case anyone is interested I found the answer here -> viewtopic.php?f=206&t=88650
"Don't anthropomorphize computers - they hate it." ~Author Unknown

RC Da Kookee
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Edge tiling on MATE possible?

Postby RC Da Kookee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:26 am

Regarding Compiz, I have no difference in CPU usage when it's active compared to when it's off. Neither on my netbook or main laptop.

Return to “MATE”