Multiple Desktops - Panel Button Showing All Desktops

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
WhatUsernameIsFree?
Level 4
Level 4

Multiple Desktops - Panel Button Showing All Desktops

Post by WhatUsernameIsFree? » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:30 am

I'm just starting to use Multiple desktops which is quite a handy feature, no idea why I didn't try it before. I've got a slight problem as when I move a window to the next desktop, the 'button' stays in the task bar, so if I have multiple terminals open, then I accidentally find myself switching desktops. Is there a way to have only the current desktop buttons stay in the current desktops panel, and when I change desktops then I see that desktops panel?

By button, I don't mean the quick launch icon, but the button that selects, maximizes and minimizes the window without touching the window itself.

I hope that makes sense!

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Multiple Desktops - Panel Button Showing All Desktops

Post by MartyMint » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:53 pm

Are you using Compiz?

WhatUsernameIsFree?
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WhatUsernameIsFree? » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:26 am

I do not believe so.

LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:48 pm

Sorry, I'm really not understanding the explanation of your issues. People don't use multiple desktop environments at the same time. Just one environment ... either Mate Desktop, or Unity, or Gnome Shell, or KDE, and so on. I believe you must be talking aboput the workspaces on your desktop. In other words the ability to switch from one open workspace with open applications to another workspace (same desktop though) with different applications, or just a blank screen if nothing is open on that additional desktop workspace. It's a little confusing for Windows users ... :roll: (kidding)

Anyway, the panel shows you the single workspace application which can be configured. Right click on it in order to configure it. The panel application itself will always display the amount of workspaces that you've set up. That's the way it's supposed to be for practical reasons since not everyone likes to switch between workspaces with keyboard shortcuts. Some users actually prefer to use the little workspace icons in the panel, to switch back and forth between workspaces. If those icons are too small for you ... causing you to accidentally get onto the wrong workspaces ... then just increase the size of the panel. The size of the workspace icons will increase with it. If you don't like the size of the panel when you're done, just use the "auto-hide function" in the panel settings to hide the panel altogether (until your mouse gets to the edge of the screen where your panel is located).
PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.

WhatUsernameIsFree?
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WhatUsernameIsFree? » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:30 am

Ok, let's call them workspaces then (which appears to be their names :oops: ). If I press ctrl+alt+right arrow it moves me to workspace 2. If I open up a terminal in workspace 2, then the application button stays in the panel even when I'm in workspace 1.

I'd like to have the two work spaces very different areas. If I click on the wrong terminal button, then I lose sight of everything open in workspace 1 and go into workspace 2. Yes I can just move it back but it's a pain when I just wanted to see my terminal window.

I recreate this: In workspace 1, open a internet browser and a terminal. Move into workspace 2, open a terminal. Move back into workspace 1, in you panel at the top, click on the terminal that is open in workspace 2.
Desired behavior: In workspace 2, the workspace 1 buttons for terminal and internet browser disappears. Move back into workspace 1 and the terminal from workspace 2 disappears and the workspace 1 buttons appear.

In Gnome/XFCE this never used to occur, I'm fairly sure of this. however for some reason I cannot find how to adjust this behavior in MATE.

It's not just Windows users it's confusing for, it's non-computer people it's confusing for. :P

LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:11 pm

Alright then, there could be some kind of file conflict going on perhaps? I only use the quake terminal which is activated with a keyboard shortcut, regardless which workspace I'm on at the time. Added it to my startup apps to make sure that it's always available, no matter what. Perhaps that could be a solution for you as well?

I wonder what happens to the open workspace apps if you minimize them before switching workspaces? I'm wondering this because even though I use Mint 15 / Mate ... I did install the XFCE panels from the repository for personal reasons. I'm also using the XFCE workspace switcher since that appears to be available as part of the XFCE panel setup. Before Mint 15 XFCE was my preferred desktop for the past 2 years, versions 11.04 and above. On my XFCE workspace switcher minimized apps don't show up at all ... the workspace icons are blank ... until I actually move to that workspace and see the window button for that app on my panel. Perhaps that too could be a solution for you?
Other than that, not really sure what else I could suggest ... :?
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.

WhatUsernameIsFree?
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WhatUsernameIsFree? » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:16 am

Ok more pragmatic example, if I have Rhythmbox open playing Music, then generally speaking I don't really want to see it at all, just allow it to play in the background, so I'd like to move that onto workspace 2, but the way it's currently setup that's as good as having it on Workspace 1, just minimized, which makes *having* a workspace 2 redundant.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:45 am

Is this what your top bar menu looks like when you right-click it?

[rimg]http://i.imgur.com/8xylkv8.jpg[/rimg]

LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:55 pm

That's not what he's talking about. Your screenshot shows what happens when you right click on the title bar of an open window. He's talking about individual work spaces though, and the work space switcher that controls them. The work space switcher is the symbol on the panel that has 3 or 4 rectangles in it by default. Each of those rectangles is representative of an individual work space. When you click on one of those rectangles, your display will switch to that work space with whatever you have on there.
In his case he's using the work space switcher without actually displaying it on the panel itself.
But it's not woking properly for him ...

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:47 pm

LinWinux wrote:That's not what he's talking about. Your screenshot shows what happens when you right click on the title bar of an open window. He's talking about individual work spaces though, and the work space switcher that controls them. The work space switcher is the symbol on the panel that has 3 or 4 rectangles in it by default. Each of those rectangles is representative of an individual work space. When you click on one of those rectangles, your display will switch to that work space with whatever you have on there.
In his case he's using the work space switcher without actually displaying it on the panel itself.
But it's not woking properly for him ...

Yeah, I know all that...I'm just trying to whittle down where the problem stems from.

I had the exact same issue with workplace switching using compiz, which is why I asked, but apparently they aren't running it.

WhatUsernameIsFree?
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WhatUsernameIsFree? » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:24 am

Yes, that is what my top bar menu looks like.

My problem is actually I press ctrl-alt-right and it moves into workspace two but my panel still shows all the 'title bars' from workspace 1, which makes it very difficult to switch between applications as I keep jumping backwards and forward between workspaces.

LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:33 am

There've been a few other reports with work space switcher related problems in Mint / Mate and even with Mate in other distros. Why don't you just do what I did? Install the better XFCE panel which comes with it's own work space switcher as well as date & time applet. It's just another application like so many others, but since the XFCE panel can actually be installed completely separately from the repositories it takes up very minimal space. I've made the Mate developers aware of some panel issues several times in the past couple of years but the panel just doesn't seem to be as important to them as it is to those who want to work with their panels. I was even told this ... that the panel isn't a top priority.

You can still run the Mate panels ... but I chose just to keep the one with the mint menu. Truly, compared to the XFCE panels I think Mate panels stink. I've been using XFCE panels for the past 4 years and they have always worked perfectly for me ... you can place XFCE panels anywhere you want, lockdown works like a charm on multiple repeated symbols, they're also more configurable and IMO more attractive too when you use full transparency. Isn't that what a modern Linux desktop is all about? If one app doesn't suit you, you just install another one that does what you're expecting it to do?
Why waste all of this time with workarounds, buggyness, testing proposed solutions, etc?
I don't get it ... :roll:

Return to “MATE”