Help, seem to have broken my desktop solved

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Help, seem to have broken my desktop solved

Post by remoulder »

Hi, I'm running Elyssa and seem to have somehow broken my desktop in that when it first loads on login I just get a blank grey screen then it slowly tries to display the wallpaper but doesn't manage to cover the entire screen, leaving blank blobs here and there around the edges. It also doesn't show any desktop icons or allow me to right click.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Husse

Re: Help, seem to have broken my desktop

Post by Husse »

Hmm - I'm always thinking of drivers in such a case
What graphics card do you have?
If nvidia or ATI you could use EnvyNG to (re)install the driver - if you can enter recovery mode you can run Envy in text mode
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

No nvidia or ati, just a bog standard onboard intel 915 graphics, so can't see it being a driver issue. I was messing around with desktop effects and compiz settings, but don't recall exactly when this happened or what i'd been doing before

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Ok solved it by deleting my gnome settings and logging out and back in

Husse

Post by Husse »

Fine - this is also something that could be a problem with a separate home partition and installing a new version....

Return to “MATE”