Caja Opens Multiple File Windows On Boot

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Caja Opens Multiple File Windows On Boot

Post by mandoman »

I recently installed Mint Mate 17 in place of the Mint Mate 16 I was using. Just today, the last couple of times I have booted up, as soon as the desktop appears, Caja rapidly opens several empty File Folders on the desktop. This last time I think it was nine. Is there a solution to this? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
What was that code again?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Caja Opens Multiple File Windows On Boot

Post by Monsta »

Known bug in MATE which was believed to be fixed in MATE 1.8. Looks like it's not so. :?
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

Monsta wrote:Known bug in MATE which was believed to be fixed in MATE 1.8. Looks like it's not so. :?
Oh, well, is this the correct place to report it, or another section? On a different note, when I booted up just a couple minutes ago, Caja did NOT do what it had twice before. :?:
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

There's another place to report bugs and I'm sure that this one has already been reported. Same thing happened to me yesterday. I upgraded my personal system from Mint 17.1 to 17.2 with a clean install and zero problems last week. So yesterday I went ahead and upgraded my wife's system from Mint 16 to Mint 17.2 ... also with a clean install ... and the same result that you're describing. The first 2 reboots instantly opened 4 Caja windows each time. A third reboot this morning opened up about 10 of them.
Weird stuff. Close all but the last one and keep that minimized on your panel to work in peace.
(because closing the last Caja window instantly opens 4 new ones on my wife's setup) :roll: :?

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

Whoa, and I thought I had problems. Are there any major differences between your system, and your wife's system? I'm talking brand difference, or laptop vs. desktop.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Yeah, I have a Dell Inspiron and my wife has a Toshiba Satellite. Tried something else by ending the caja session in the session manager. Then I made sure there were no Mate references whatsoever in the startup sessions. For restarts, it dawned on me that "save session" was turned on ... so I unchecked that as well. Finally, instead of restarting her system I decided just to power off altogether since someone in the bug report mentioned something about the issue been related to logins. Granted, you still have to log in after a cold start but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try, right?

Hah, system booted up, logged in ... and ended up with 18 open Caja Windows (counted them).
Another difference is that I'm using auto-login, and she doesn't. Checking that now ...

EDIT: Nope, having auto-login enabled made no difference at all. As a matter of fact, there were 19 open Caja windows that time. Both of us are running Linux Mint with the XFCE Desktop Environment, but we always install Caja right away since that's our preferred file manager (and the only one with a hover audio preview for music). Also, I don't believe it's related to the session manager or Caja starting up too fast and tripping over itself, as someone else in the bug report had suggested. After logging in to my wife's system, or after the initial screen comes up with auto-login, there's actually a very distinct pause of 3 - 5 seconds where nothing at all is happening on the screen. No additional Caja windows either ... even though the physical login process itself had already completed.
But the instant that the wallpaper appears, bamm, right then and there the Caja windows pop up one by one.

Both of our systems are laptops. Each about 3 to 4 years old, but very nice systems with oodles of Ram and Quad-core processors. Another difference is that I have an Intel Chip and her's is an AMD. My graphics are Intel HD3000 and her's are AMD Premium ... whatever that means.

PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

Well crud, you've got deep s**t problems. I've got a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop, and two self built desktops, and I guess I'm running Mate, so I don't know if that makes a difference, or not. My crazy window problems don't even come close to yours. Did you report yours as a possible bug, or checked to see if it has already been posted?

The problem with my windows weirdness is that I can't be sure it's a bug, so I haven't dared post it as one. In all other aspects, all my Mint 17.2 Mate machines work perfectly, except for the jumpy windows.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Well, the bug report itself has already been opened so there's no point in opening another one. What you would do is file a comment on the same report ... https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-se ... /issues/19 ... to make the report more current. That way everyone can see that the issue has *NOT* been fixed, even as late as September 2015 with Linux Mint 17.2 ... It is pretty weird that Mate developers haven't put more effort into a solution. What's up with that Stefano?
For some people this could be quite serious. My wife just leaves the last Caja Window open. After that everything works fine.
(even the continued use of that last window)

If you do file a comment, you might want to include some of the details that I provided. Seems like most people just complain without providing details about the machines which might actually be helpful to the Mate developers. Just saying ...

mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

Okay, I opened a new report, as the one you indicated is closed. We'll see what happens.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

This is your bug report?
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-se ... /issues/98

TWO QUESTIONS ... One, have you checked all of your appearance, desktop, and window manager settings? I'm asking because I'm almost positive that I've seen the setting that prevents what you're describing from happening. If I remember correctly that's not a bug at all, but a convenience setting whereby the desktop environment "assumes" that windows being dragged in a certain direction are about to be maximized, so the desktop attempts to help you out with that. Look at all of the settings. The terminology used, may not make it obvious right away what that setting is. Look for Windows Snapping, Automatic Tiling, Screen Edge settings, something like that.
Cinnamon & XFCE Desktops offer these "features" as well ...

Question Two ... what on earth does your bug report have to do with the mutiple Caja Windows opening? You never even mentioned that and I can't find any other bug reports from you either. I thought you were opening a bug report about the many Caja windows that open up after logging in?

mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

First, I did check all of my settings, but will check again.

Second, the bug of which you speak is not the one I'm dealing with. If you are having that problem, that is your bug report to place, or not to place. Sorry.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

This entire thread was based on Caja Windows opening inexplicably. Every comment had to do with that. So naturally, when you wrote in *THIS* thread that you posted a new bug report, the normal inference that anyone would make is that the bug report was based on what was being discussed here. If you had issues with your desktop application windows not behaving correctly, that should have been posted in a different thread altogether since Caja in and of itself has nothing to do with that.
Topics aren't supposed to be mixed in the same thread ...

mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

Sorry, you're right, my mistake. I had it in my head that we were discussing this topic,

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=203139

Sorry for the confusion.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

So far nothing has changed. Tried all sorts of things without any improvement.
After a reboot, the last two things that appear on the screen is the wallpaper ...
... followed by anywhere from 16 to 19 open Caja windows. Always either 16 or 19 ...
... leaving the last one open prevents more Caja windows from opening up.

If you attempt to close the last Caja window that was left open intentionally ...
... another 4 or 6 Caja windows will appear one by one in its place.
... usually 4 windows one by one, but a couple of times there've been 6 of them.

If you manage to close the 4th or 6th Caja window without re-occurances, everything remains fine. So by default, my wife just keeps the last Caja window after a reboot minimized. Not a solution, but it works. Considering how far back this issue has been reported, I really believe the Developers of Mate/Caja should make a fix for this issue an absolute priority! I think it's pretty friggen' ridiculous to have this issue reported for the past several years across several versions of development, without a fix. Shame on you, Stefano! This bug is on you !!!
Mate is your project. Show a little responsibility.

LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Here we are, a week and some updates later ... but still no change. :roll:
Well, I wasn't really expecting any changes from updates since this appears, at least to me, to be an issue that's exclusive to Caja which is part of the Mate Desktop Environment development. I really wish that someone would get behind this several year old bug for an actual, permanent fix ...

LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Just trying to keep this thread alive since there hasn't been a fix produced yet. This should be considered a serious issue! How would you developers feel if you inexplicably received dozens of open Caja Windows on your screen every time that you logged into your system ... ??? I don't know who closed the bug in the bugs report, but obviously that person had no business doing so without verifying that an actual fix existed. :x

LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

This was a known bug in the bug reports which was closed prematurely! This really needs to be fixed. Just trying to keep this thread alive so the problem can get corrected.

ivanp

Post by ivanp »

Just started having exactly this issue on Mint Mate 17.3, about a week after installing.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

C'mon already, Mate developers. Caja is one of the primary applications of Mate, so let's get this fixed. This was a known bug in the bug reports which was closed prematurely! This really needs to be fixed. Just trying to keep this thread alive so the problem can get corrected.

LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Simply unbelievable ... I just upgraded another Mint 17.2 system to Rosa ... A system which previously never had the multiple Caja window issue ... and now that system also has numerous Caja windows open up inexplicably after a reboot. It's a completely different brand & model of computer too. Removing Caja from session startup doesn't make any difference. This is utterly ridiculous !!! :evil:

Return to “MATE”