(SOLVED) compiz nightmare

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ickda

(SOLVED) compiz nightmare

Post by ickda »

Os, mint 17 cinnamon. Running only mate, manager is compiz. Old manger and files have been purged.

On boot up After the grub menu I have to "ctrl + alt F2" and log in fast because the display manager don't lode , otherwise no desktop. desktop boot is slow and sluggish.
what have I done?
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get build-dep aptitude
sudo apt-get install aptitude
sudo aptitude build-dep
sudo aptitude full-upgrade
sudo apt-get build-dep [display manager]
sudo aptitude reinstall [display manager]
sudo apt-get purge [package-name]
I did this 2 times to get rid of metacity and compiz
sudo aptitude install [package name]
For compiz
http://journalxtra.com/linux/desktop-re ... ktop-back/
Site for the info I used above.

Past thread from difrent forum, Not solved....
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175521128/
That is the events leading to this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ickda

Re: compiz nightmare

Post by ickda »

some clarification
If I don't ctrl + alt F2 and log in viea the control command I get sent to the welcome menu and that's it, I could log in after but I end up with basic control,,,,
Even though i can get to my deskttop every thing is broken and error messages aplenty, How do I fix this?
Google results are slim and I cant seem to find anything like this out there
From what I understand of Linux, I don't need to re-install, because it can be fixed, I just lack the noilge to do it.
So can you and will you pleas help me.
If I am not giving you info tell me what you need.

Ps caja not working right ether, next time I reboot or start my system I will give you the messig I get on log in.
ickda

Post by ickda »

guys, Normally I don't bumb things things,,,,
I have found many useful tools in the past, Because my system is so f@(ked, yet I still can use it, I have learned what I am using is 3 or 4 layers.... that I don't need.... it just some fancy graphics, I want it fixed but....
Command line is where my system main function is, this problem is not messing with it, Its controlled by it. XD
If that's the case then It can be fix
But I do not understand a nufe to think further.
If I have a clue to work though this.... I can even fetch you more information, I just need to know what to type, maby blog or something all-rading addressed this?
but pleas, I feel like I am on a cliff.....
ickda

Post by ickda »

Okay installing a new display manger, I found one that works, still some wrinkles though.
Last night I uninstalled it because I figured there was something better. It set me back a step or two.
But to be able to see a problem adds depth to my plight, though I still need to fix thoughs wrinkles.
I need help setting compiz as my main, I found out adding to my start up line this
compiz
compiz --replace
a ill advised yet common misconception on how to do it. From what I understand I need to go configure some stuff.
But I need better guidance.
ickda

Post by ickda »

hear is my Os
linux mint 17
gdm
mate desktop
compiz
ickda

Post by ickda »

I have every thing fixed but... I need to start every thing in commands at the moment.
I need help to...
1, make sure gdm is communicating with the x-thing in start up.
2, I need compiz to be loaded up automatically at start up.
3, smooth out any remaing wrinkles if any still exist.

Where do I need to look for this in mint 17?
guys for you its been two day, for me its been 4, just because how I have been sleeping.
I have gone far from derp cents I 1st posted in Linuxquestions.org
You probably can read the progression fum the two post... I have done this myslefe wit help from google.
My biggest problem though is finding the information, My problem and solutions are scatterd to thin, and I ant using the easiest methods to do this, If I would of done this the easy way I would of installed mint 17 mate, and not have to configure mint 17 cinnamon to mate with all the bells and whistles.
But I don't want to delete all of my stuff or lose it... to much work. I got game data and stuff i want, I rather just fix this mess and have it set up to what I like, besides once its fixed then I wont have to worry about it.
so anything to help me make this easier?
ickda

Post by ickda »

Gdm is working, compiz is working
But Compiz need to be replaced in the command promt after log in, bugs so many bugs, also I don't have metacity

also
/bin/sh: 1: /usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator: not found
Last edited by ickda on Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ickda

Post by ickda »

might soon have more info for you guys,
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash
Looks promising, need to see YouTube and see if theirs any help
ickda

Post by ickda »

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-desktop/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

seems to help some what. but...., may update this soon...
ickda

Post by ickda »

Code: Select all

PREFIX=/usr
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/lib64:/usr/lib32::$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

# Kill all decorators in case an incompatible (0.8) decorator is running
if ps ax | grep gtk-window-decorator | grep -v grep &> /dev/null; then
    echo "Killing gtk-window-decorator"
    killall gtk-window-decorator &> /dev/null
fi
if ps ax | grep emerald | grep -v grep &> /dev/null; then
    echo "Killing emerald"
    killall emerald &> /dev/null
fi

$PREFIX/bin/compiz --replace ccp "$@" &
$PREFIX/bin/gtk-window-decorator --replace &
I need to use this every time I boot up
ickda

Post by ickda »

I am using MATE 1.8
My greeter us G.M.D
Compiz is running pretty for the most part.
and it looks like for the most part every thing is fixed... I might be missing somthing though.
runs smooth so far and I don't see any errors...
I had some broken packages, kinda surprised I got this version, but happy, seems better then the standard mate for mint.. not as minty but still. XD
started in the 5th defiantly no more then I did then...
If you have any thing to add, I still got some kinks, so it ant to late for your guys two cents.
I don't have any of thoughs desktop header things, the tell you what program is running on the dock and let you minimize or close the program and stuff like that

http://www.itworld.com/software/408166/ ... ux-mint-16
got the install of mate from hear.
scryan

Post by scryan »

ickda wrote:$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-desktop/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

seems to help some what. but...., may update this soon...
I don't use mint anymore, so don't just take this as answer... but from my understanding

"sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"

basically means "sudo kill my install".
I think the issue stems from the fact that those are generic package manager commands from debian, which is a rolling distro, while most distros are released by version similar to mint and do not support the command/in place upgrades.

Again, I could be confused on this one, but I do feel like I have ALWAYS seen warnings not to use the apt upgrade command.
ickda wrote:bugs,
I have never had a compiz install that was elegant and useable. Maybe I am stupid but that WM seems clunky as rainbows, resource hungry and riddle with bugs... Always seemed like a huge trade off for a desktop cube... but to each their own :mrgreen:

I am not sure how to use upstart, I can tell you easy enough on systemd... but yeah :P

Make sure you are only trying to load one display manager/you have the right one as default.

Make sure that your display manager is loading mate (or DE), not compiz. You actually can use just compiz but its probably not what you want?

Set up the desktop environment setup to run that compiz --replace command at startup and you should be good.

If you can accomplish those above, your only issues should be compiz's settings and possibly whatever was done with that upgrade command... Do some research as to if that is as bad as I think on mint...like google that command and linux mint and see if you find warnings about not trying to upgrade via apt. If that IS the case your best bet may be to re-install mint.

Sorry to not be more help, but didn't look like you were getting other answers so I figured better then nothing...
ickda

Post by ickda »

I am not sure how to use upstart, I can tell you easy enough on systemd... but yeah :P

Make sure you are only trying to load one display manager/you have the right one as default.

Make sure that your display manager is loading mate (or DE), not compiz. You actually can use just compiz but its probably not what you want?

Set up the desktop environment setup to run that compiz --replace command at startup and you should be good.
compiz --replace is a garbage command that send your system into a circle at start up.
Besides I got that fixed... I think...

I just miss the tabs that used to be on my dock, they up and vanished,
I need to make sure every thing is set up right, but I dont know how to do that, and google will send me down a rabbit hole of doom.
scryan

Post by scryan »

Thats because compiz is terrible, and everyone should use a tiling window manager with no DE.

lol, ok... I think its obvious we are beyond my usefulness here. Hope you get it setup, I will say so often config is half the battle and will make all the difference, good luck 8)
ickda

Post by ickda »

compiz --replace - metacity --replace, both would be sending you in circle
okay, I am using a mate ppa vr, 1.8.0
compiz is my babie
my greeter is Gdm
dock is Cairo
And I needed to reinstall compiz, had the ccsm thing but compiz got unistalled though everything......
every thing works. XD
also for boot I use lilo
and my os is mint 17, was a cinnamon release

Return to “MATE”