Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jerkins
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED - MATE config broken on my account only

Post by jerkins » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:33 am

The problem:

When I select MATE on the login screen and log in, all I get is the background with no panels. Any windows I open have no header (where I can minimise, maximise, etc).

What I did to get into this state:

I had been trying to untangle Wine from my system, as the Wine uninstall had left a lot of trash behind it. This involved going into ~/.config and deleting/editing files that contained Wine-related info. It is highly likely that I accidentally deleted something I shouldn't have, or edited out something from a config file that should have been left alone. mea culpa.

What I've done so far:

Backed up all my data files!

Tried Cinnamon - works perfectly. This shows that my basic system and graphics work correctly.
Logged in to another account that uses MATE - works perfectly. This shows that my MATE installation is OK when the config is untouched

Running

Code: Select all

marco --replace&
Puts the headers back on my windows.

Code: Select all

mate-panel&
Gives me the basic panel at the bottom.

Running these commands gives me something that resembles the MATE environment, but the terminal window where I entered these commands is reporting a lot of errors, such as:
david@desktop ~/Desktop $ Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x3400036 (mintMenu.p)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x3400036 (mintMenu.p)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Window manager warning: Log level 8: Source ID 10070 was not found when attempting to remove it
These changes aren't permanent of course - when I log out & back in again everything is reset to the faulty state.

Resources available to me

A complete backup taken 6 or 7 days prior to me messing around. This includes all the ~/. directories, and means that I can copy config files into my current system if required.

What I'm looking for:

A way of resetting or refreshing MATE in my account only.

jerkins
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SOLVED - MATE config broken on my account only

Post by jerkins » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:03 am

Sorted it out myself - copied the .local directory back from my backup. Now working almost as well as it did before (now need to get my panel config back the way I like it)

Return to “MATE”