Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Mate/ Mint-X - a couple of hopefully nice edits

Post by tpprynn »

Screenshot-1.png
Attached is an edit of the Mint-X theme which I think improves the look of the Mate Panel, and in ways which I think Mint-X's author had been aiming for judging by some unused files in its folder. I've removed the Window List button handles, and also the Gnome Main Menu arrow if you use that menu. The older Gnome menu is in my screenshot, but the standard Mint Menu behaves/highlights the same.

I've used a pixmap from elsewhere in Mint-X to replace the murky 'murrine' panel buttons and set things so that all but the active window are 'flat', just as can be done in Xfce. It looks cleaner I think.

I've also removed the weird 'padding' gap between the highlighted menubar items and the first/highest menu item in programs using gtk2, a gap present in the gtk2 version of Mint-X but not the gtk3 one, so that they're consistent.

I did briefly use a panel background with a border, like the lighter Cinnamon themes often do, but these don't seem to work well except against light monochrome wallpapers, and the Compiz shadow helps bring the panel to life anyway.

I had posted a botched version of this a couple of days ago and quickly removed it. Maybe this is of interest only to my fellow fussy people but I would be pleased to see any of the edits incorporated into Mint-X if the author is reading. I've used the name Mint-L so that the theme can be dumped in your .themes folder leaving Mint-X intact.

Thanks for indulging an oldish man with slightly too much time on his hands.
Attachments
Mint-L.7z
(79.69 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Last edited by tpprynn on Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mate/ Mint-X - a couple of hopefully nice edits

Post by austin.texas »

Nice edits ! Thanks.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Glad you have the theme tweaked to your liking. It's been awhile since I did some of that but I can give the reasoning for a couple of them.

Weird gap/padding on the menu: It wasn't originally like that but was changed based on user feedback. If I remember correctly the problem with it was when right clicking in a window like x/hexchat to bring up the context menu the the first item was highlighted and users were inadvertently choosing that men item. Add the padding eliminates the issue.

Panel: I fully agree that the panel could be much nicer by default. But one of the main guidelines I was given was to make it fully functional with Mate's built in panel customization options. That pretty much precludes the use of pixmaps :)

As for the application menu I'm not really sure what you were talking about there and I have to admit that I don't remember testing with that particular menu and I'm not a regular Mate user.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

Thanks and I'm glad you don't seem offended! I hadn't done any theme fiddling for a long time as I was put off when gtk3 came in - I can't really be bothered to learn it. It had been a bit of a fetish for a long time though and once I'd returned to Mate the itch was too great.

I would like to know how to put a border back round the calendar and volume applets though, if anyone knows (the bits that appear when their panel icons are clicked), as it has with other themes. It looks a bit naked and sometimes the Compiz shadows have vanished and don't 'take up the slack' as it were. But no biggie.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

tpprynn wrote:I would like to know how to put a border back round the calendar and volume applets though, if anyone knows (the bits that appear when their panel icons are clicked), as it has with other themes.
I believe that would be the arrow-border-width in the PopupMenu section of cinnamon.css:
* PopupMenu (popupMenu.js)
* ===================================================================*/

/* comment out -arrow-background-color: rgb(228,228,228); */
/* change -arrow-border-width: to 0px to get rid of boxpointer */
/* change -boxpointer-gap: to 6px */
.popup-menu-boxpointer {
-arrow-border-radius: 4px;
/* -arrow-background-color: rgb(228,228,228); */
-arrow-border-width: 2px;
-arrow-border-color: #cc5500;
-arrow-base: 0px;
-arrow-rise: 0px;
-st-shadow: 0px -1px 2px 0px rgba(255,255,255,0.9);
-boxpointer-gap: 6px;
}
I am not sure how it would translate to Mate.
Last edited by austin.texas on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

I'm using Mate but maybe you've at least given me a clue there, I'll have a prod around.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Don't have Mate installed at the moment to actually check but in the gtkrc file starting on line 360 there are 5 image blocks to control shadows. The last 4 should be for frames. You'll notice that a couple use a frame.svg and a couple null.png. Try replacing the null ones with the shadow.svg and see if one of them gives you the frame you want. This might have effects on frames showing up in other areas as well though.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

scr.jpg
A change along those lines seems to have worked fairly well. The start of that #Shadows section in the gtkrc file now runs in my edited theme:

# Shadows

{
function = SHADOW_GAP
file = "images/other/null.png"
border = {4, 4, 4, 4}
stretch = TRUE
}
{
function = SHADOW
shadow = IN
recolorable = FALSE
file = "images/frames/frame.svg"
border = {1, 1, 1, 1}
stretch = TRUE
}

{
function = SHADOW
shadow = OUT
recolorable = TRUE
file = "images/frames/frame.svg"
border = {8, 8, 8, 8}
stretch = TRUE
}

The last of the three there was using the null image before, and I changed the border from 4, 4, 4, 4 else the image didn't stretch enough on the right hand side. (Less than 8 is not enough.) I'm not going to slip into months of OCD on this but the volume and calendar applets now have their borders back with no glitches elsewhere. Weirdly though the calendar's shadows are only drawn against the desktop wallpaper and not other windows, whereas the volume applet is fine. This happens with both Compiz and mate-compositing. So, overall, I'm happy to quit with this unless someone else dives in. I haven't messed anything else up as far as I can see so I'm glad to have had a crack at my tweaking with 75% success I think.

Thanks to anyone else who has chipped in or who does later.

Return to “MATE”